Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Multiple Questions: Design & Graphics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2005 14:34
Intro:
Okay, first let me preface this with the fact that I am a n00b to Darkbasic/Game programming overall. Read multiple books on the subject and have many more to read, etc, but no real experience. With that said, onto my questions:
Background:
For my first attempt at any game development, I want to build a basic, top down tiled, code base, from which to practice development of a couple of games. Albeit rudimentary, this is my objective. In view of this, I have a couple simple questions.
Questions:
#01. When working with DB/DBP is it easier to work through building internal functions or exterior DLLs? I have done some C++/DLL work so I could theoretically do that.

#02. I've noticed a lot of posts stating that the 2D functions of both DB/DBP are not very good, and that building a psuedo-2D game via 3D dynamics is better. I already am leaning that direction, as I want to prototype in DB, then move up to DBP later.(On a budget) So am I thinking right here?

#03. Do the memblock functions within DB/DBP provide bit control? And if so, what is the fatest way to utilize these?

If you have any other suggestions/ideas/flames, feel free to post. Thanks ahead of time for your assistance.

-Fallen Star

Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 11:31
#01. When working with DB/DBP is it easier to work through building internal functions or exterior DLLs? I have done some C++/DLL work so I could theoretically do that.

just work with functions unless you want to make dlls that work for components of your game that might require a little faster speed etc..

#02. I've noticed a lot of posts stating that the 2D functions of both DB/DBP are not very good, and that building a psuedo-2D game via 3D dynamics is better. I already am leaning that direction, as I want to prototype in DB, then move up to DBP later.(On a budget) So am I thinking right here?

I would start in DBP, DB is great but theres a few differences now and you might go crazy altering code that worked great in DB but not so well in DBP.

#03. Do the memblock functions within DB/DBP provide bit control? And if so, what is the fatest way to utilize these?

not sure what you mean here, but if you mean at a bit/byte level then yes they can be used to adjust minor aspects etc..

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Nathaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 14:26
Thanks for the info!

-Nathaniel

Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:20:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:20:57