Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I really want to create .x models for my fps but I really don't know what to choose? ....And I hate 3dcanvas

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I really want to create .x models for my fps but I really don't know what to choose? ....And I hate 3dcanvas.... I really need help!

It's amazing you're reading this, surprise... you still are.
Your mother
Years of Service
User Offline
you could truespace, caligari is giving away a free version! it can export objects directly as .x, its what i use!
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2005 06:15 Edited at: 23rd May 2005 06:29
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53441&b=3

I use truespace 6.6, its decent while not nearly as good as max or maya its fine for game modeling and level building. Even though the main program cost 595 they sell plug in packs that vary in price from 49 to 199. In total i spent about 1000 in it truespace,depack,raypack,anipak,fxpack, and gamepack . The thing that drawed me to truespace over some of the other modelers was the physics engine, most cheaper or free modelers won't have it and its great for realistic cutsceens and much quicker. The bad thing about it, all those plugins can be a pain in the @ss.

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 09:18
Gamespace is really nice. It's a scaled-down version of Truespace. I bought my copy for $299. It doesn't have every feature of Truespace, but the ones that are lacking are ones way beyond my current abilities as a 3D modeler. The Caligari claim is that they've left in most of the tools needed for object and level design. I haven't been disappointed yet.
EvMaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 09:42
I use Milkshape 3D http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

It exports in heaps of formats, including .x. It also does animation.

-Ev
BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 10:47
i agree with clueless i have gamespace and it is cut down from truespace but its cheeper and it has every thing you need to make a good model . plus you can get milkshape for gamespace and thats good to and it comes free with gamespace or is included in the package!

james bond rules and star wars
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 12:23
Blender and Maya are good modelers.

AMD Athlon 64 fx-53, 1 gig PC3200 Dual Channel Performance DDR, ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-E, 74 gig 10000rpm HD, Abit AX8 Motherboard
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 15:42
GameSpace rocks.

It has a huge number of file formats it can import/export.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
Robot Booger
Years of Service
User Offline
Blender is too confusing for me
BULLSHOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
no way dude! blender is the easiest modling program i have ever used. for my direct x models, i model them in blender, convert to 3ds then i texture them in 3ds max and expot .x using pandasoft. occasionally i touch them up in milkshape, but i dont really like it. i dont know though, blenders built in .x exporter doesnt seem to work, so i dont know...

WAIT! download blender, then download the trial of milkshape, and model in blender and export to 3ds, then import to milkshape, then export to .x

it sounds confusing, but its simple...but thats just the free way to do it.

and i dont like blender just because its free, i have the money to buy better programs (i have 3d canvas, cartography shop, and 3ds max) but blender is exelent...

its definatly worth giving a try

-I will beat anyone in HALO2!
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks! It was great for your help!

ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Try anim8or. Then export the 3DS file and use somthing else to turn it into a .x file.

Thomas Smith
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 20:37
I loooove MilkShape. Well worth the tiny price. It may not do all the fancy stuff the others can but you have complete control over placing individual vertex and faces. Very simple and excellent for low poly modeling and animation.
The UV mapping (for textures) may not always be as good as you need, but you can download the free version of LithunWrap which supports loading MilkShape models for that.
Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
I use 3ds max

Pretty expensive unless you know where to get it
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2005 21:17
Carefull what you're saying Rock

"..." - Me
ZDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 08:25
ThomasFN has a good one. I use anim8or (which is completely free) and it comes with as much as you need. it has very few commands, but it is enough if you just want to do vertex editing. the biggest problem with anim8or is that you can't do anything else until oyu finish or shut off the current command (which i forget to do a lot). But you get used to it. it also has a great material creator. it is difficult to do texturing, but it can be done. that's all i'm going to say, or else i'll blow up.

Here's an idea for you...
NO!
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just downloaded and tried anim8or, I think it's pretty cool!
Thanks so much for the help!

Cyril Grey
Years of Service
User Offline
if you don't have a lot of money for a modeling prg, try milkshape. It does everything you need to make low-poly game models, texture and animation. The texture mapping is a little weak, but as someone above me mentioned, you can get a free copy of lithunwrap and create very good mapping.

I also have gmax with exporters, but its such a hastle, I don't ever go that route.

With math all things are possible
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2005 00:50
I'll assume Rock is referring to a no lisence or student version of max, which you can get for around 150 bucks, but then you cant sell what you make with it.

Milkshape is the way to go, only 20 bucks and does everything you need.

Click here to join our forums and get updates on game progress sooner!
Robot Booger
Years of Service
User Offline
I second Milkshape
AndLabs
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro comes free with Caligari gameSpaceLight plus two tutorials on a free disc. gSL could export to .x!

Making your own models is not easy, trust us...

For the Software You Want, AMPERSAND LABORATORIES is the place! [URL=http://www.andlabs.com/]
[/URL]
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
I know models are hard to make... and I have no trust....

Who are you? what do you want from me?

I never trust anyone.....that looks like an apple (or it's just a hand grenade disguised as an apple)....

On subject again, I found anim8or quite difficult so I'm gonna try milkshape!

Yusaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 05:52
What's wrong with 3D Canvas? That the program I use to make all of my models.

-- http://tenshin.infinitydev.net --
Games Made: Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Fable, Master Chief, and more.
Dangerous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 12:04
Having a good modeling program is very over rated for game creation. I would rather spend money on a good UV Wrapper. With a wrapper you can take a plain cube and make it an Ammo Box, Personal Computer, Dresser, Clothes Hamper, etc. just by changing textures. So if your new or have no modeling skills, you'll be just fine getting a cheap UV Wrapper and a model pack of premade models to tweak. Ultimate Unwrap 3D is very good for the price ($49.95). I saw someone else mention LithunWrap, which is free! I would start with LithinWrap, anim8er, and a model pack like DarkMATTER, and expand out from there.

If I am crazy, and the world is crazy, then I am normal.
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to have models that were made by ME.
I want a good modeller that is free.....and the search continues....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:17:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:17:32