Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Having police car chase player car

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 11:09 Edited at: 24th May 2005 11:43
Hi,
First of all, this is 2D - I am wondering how I could have a police car following the player. And how can I have it so the police car is being rotated so the front is facing the direction the car is moving.
How can I make it so my little cloud of dust continually come from the back of the car, like an exhaust feature.
Thanks,
Squids.

Click sig > Look around > Go to forums!!!

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 11:32 Edited at: 24th May 2005 11:33
First of all, it's "following". Second, never start a sentence with the word "And".

As I recall, you’re the "newbie" who is trying to make a "Driver" remake (hopefully not a clone of SageTech). Best of luck!

As for your problem, you need to define it a little better. For those of us who have never played "Driver", we do not know if it is based on a grid, an open field, etc.

For the smoke, you will want to use "Particles". There are many examples in the Code Base for smoke, and I am quite sure they will fit your needs. Do a quick search for "smoke" and you will understand.

I cannot remember if you are using DBP or not so at this very moment in time, I cannot help you on either detail until I find this information out.

-This...is my boomstick!
Squids Revenge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 11:48 Edited at: 24th May 2005 11:49
First of all, I'm not a clone of Sage Tech...
I don't think at least...
@ your problem thing - Ok.
Ok, I didn't know you could do particles in 2D.
I'm even pretty good at particles!

And I'm using DBP.

qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 12:56
"First of all, it's "following". Second, never start a sentence with the word "And"."

ive spoken with teachers with doctorates in english and they say there is nothing grammatically incorrect with starting a sentence with "and" and they can't see why we were taught not to in elementary school. also i see sentences starting with it all the time in newspapers and books. thirdly even if it is incorrect you still understand what he means...it's not like your post has no errors
Squids Revenge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 13:32
Quote: "ive spoken with teachers with doctorates in english and they say there is nothing grammatically incorrect with starting a sentence with "and" and they can't see why we were taught not to in elementary school. also i see sentences starting with it all the time in newspapers and books. thirdly even if it is incorrect you still understand what he means...it's not like your post has no errors"

Thank you.

NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 14:13
To pointless posters,

We're here to help eachother figure out solutions to the problems we are stuck upon. This is not grammar school. If one has nothing better else to type than a bash against another, please post it on another website, or type it up in a word processor for your own pleasure. We are programmers working together here, not against. Woe to the fingers that are so quick to type hate...hehe.

+NanoBrain+
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 15:30
^dont see you speaking on topic either
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 19:48 Edited at: 24th May 2005 19:48

Hope that helps.
[Edit]
Damn! Just noticed the 2D part!
[/Edit]

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.tk
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 00:01 Edited at: 25th May 2005 00:47
I guess I should rephrase:

Never put two sentences together with the word "And" starting both sentences.

Example:
And Johnny went to school. And then Johnny studied. And Johnny ate his lunch.

http://cal.bemidji.msus.edu/WRC/Handouts/ProofandEdit.html

If the 2D game is a top down approach, you can always use an animated sprite and just have it "behind" the car.

Let me know if this helps.

P.S.
If you are going to bash, at least add a small line of help instead of going off topic.

-This...is my boomstick!
Squids Revenge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 00:22
@
Quote: " To pointless posters,

We're here to help eachother figure out solutions to the problems we are stuck upon. This is not grammar school. If one has nothing better else to type than a bash against another, please post it on another website, or type it up in a word processor for your own pleasure. We are programmers working together here, not against. Woe to the fingers that are so quick to type hate...hehe."
and
Quote: " ^dont see you speaking on topic either"
- Nope, but he's trying too be nice. I liked the "To pointless posters" part. Lol.

@
Quote: "If the 2D game is a top down approach, you can always use an animated sprite and just have it "behind" the car."

Yeah, but the player has too be able too be hit by the police too gain damage.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:29:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:29:18