Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newcomer - First Post - Dark Basic instead of MS-Visual Basic et.al.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2005 23:43
Howdy,
I've been a programmer since 1985. Several programming languages.
Have been a Database administrator since 1987 - IDMS, ADABAS, M204, Sybase, Informix, Oracle - am starting to futz around with MySQL for personal use.

As you might can tell - I've got lots of experience in some areas - especially Database design/implementation. So - in that respect - I'm a resource.

I am within 4 years of retirement from my DBA job and have been looking around for a NON-Microsoft programming tool.

Found Dark Basic. Haven't purchased anything yet but it looks very promising.

My use for it is less Gaming, graphic and more (for lack of better description) of a use in the business world.

With my "business" use in mind, I did a search for Database and found several references:
Quote: "
Can it interact with a SQL database, for a mmorpg?
TCA has already done this, check out the plugins on http://www.codingarea.co.uk

Is it possible to use Dark Basic as the Front End for an Access database?
Yes - I've tested it with mySQL & Pervasive. It should work with Microsoft's SQL Server and any other you've got on your system - you just need to work out the DRIVER= parameter (which I may do for other things later).
"

It appears that Dark Basic - as a tool - will meet my needs. Just need a warm fuzzy:

Are there other people using Dark Basic (Pro - whatever) for standard programming - DB access?

WolfBrother

Running it in Production is the true test of code.
walkman99
Years of Service
User Offline
You don't want Microsoft, but Dark Basic is a wrapper to DirectX 9? I am confused. For business programming, you can't get better than Delphi from Borland.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 01:25 Edited at: 25th May 2005 01:26
Haven't used it as a DB front-end, but I do use it in a non-gaming context.

If you are used to M$ languages, you'll find you have to do a lot of things the long way. Things like string manipulation are not native (although there is a plug-in for some basic stuff), and it's not event-driven, so you'll have to revert back to good ol' procedural techniques.

I'm a technical consultant, having lived and breathed Midrange (AS/400 / iSeries), DB2, VB, Java, SQL Server and various others for 15 years. I found it very easy to get into DB Pro. What's more, it allows you to unleash your creative side, something that business developers don't get to do very often.

Welcome to the world of DB Pro, hope you make the purchase and have fun

BatVink
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 02:06
Quote: "Location: Austin, TX "

Im from Texas also . Welcome to the forums .

Video games…they take you places unreachable, unfeasible. Putting you in the book...putting you in the movie...putting you in a world, that before could only be imagined. expage.com/piratesmainpage.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:17:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:17:39