Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / TGA from 3DS files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 02:32
I am trying to import a 3D model I have made in 3D Studio Max 6 into FPSC, and have succeeded in using Pandawares 3DS-X exporter to export the model as an X file, and I have followed the steps in the user guide up until the point where it specifies I need a TGA rexture file. My model is fully textured in MAX, but when I export, there is only an X file. Is there any way to export a TGA file from a 3DS model?

Another issue, when I'm trying to import my model as an entity, the User Guide tells me to run FPSC-Entities.exe, a file which is not in any of my FPSC folders. Am I missing a file, or do I need to run this within FPSC, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks, Tom

Eeeeeeeeeeee ghads!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 02:56
Textures don't *have* to be TGA files, it's just the example we used in the manual. If you're using Panda correctly it WILL create texture files for you as well as the .X file - if it doesn't, you've not got the settings right yet, so keep tweaking.

Two Worlds and in Between
Hot Metal and Methedrine
Mr Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 07:36
OK...I've managed to export the texture roughly using Max's built in funtion, but i cant get the Panda to export a texture file. I now have another problem. After exporting my meshes and their textures, I seem to be missing several .exe files. The instruction manual tells me I need to run FPSC-Segments.exe and FPSC-Entities.exe, both files that I do not have in my FPSC folder.

The only .exe files I have in my FPSC folder are: FPSC-Game, FPSC-MapEditor, FPS Creator, and FPSC-Screens. However, out of all these files, only FPS Creator.exe runs, the others bring up a blank screen, and either close themselves or require closing. Am I missing something, I have tried reinstalling the program, but to no avail. Anybody have any idea what might be wrong here?

Eeeeeeeeeeee ghads!
BULLSHOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 12:48 Edited at: 25th May 2005 15:02
dude!!! i figured it out!!
ok heres what i did...

i took a "modtable" furnature peice and replaced the .x file. when i exported from 3ds max, (with pandasoft) it just gave me the file, not the texture, so all i did was put the original texture in my new modtables file and renamed everything. it works perfect!!

even though they didnt give us those exe's, you just copy the type of entity you want (from the entity bank) and change the file names.

-I will beat anyone in HALO2!
Mr Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2005 19:32
But if you have a totally original mesh with a unique texture, surely using another texture copied from an existing entity wouldnt work? Currently, I'm using MAX's 'Export to texture' funtion to create a .tga file of my object, with mixed results. Currently, PART of the object is fully textured and light-mapped, the rest is just black and white. I'm gonna experiment with a low-grade model today, that uses less light-mapping and reflective surfaces, to see if I can work out where I'm going wrong.

Eeeeeeeeeeee ghads!
BULLSHOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
no, no no.....

ok, you know the texture that you used to uvw map the object? put that texture in the file instead of the entities texture...then its just like your brand new fpsc object, you dont need to export it, just copy it...

Mr Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 00:14
Ah ok, I think I see where you are coming from here. I'll have to test it out sometime. Does anybody know how to edit the textures for the default entities? I can't find any external .tga files for them anywhere. There must be a way to do it somehow...

Eeeeeeeeeeee ghads!
BULLSHOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 09:04 Edited at: 27th May 2005 09:06
thats easy...

ok if you read that section of the manual, it tells you that you should download a really cool program called ifranview. that program reads the dds files for the original entities. i dont know if you know this, but when you run a game, fpsc creates dds files from tga files...so lets say you wanted to re-texture a weapon...ok thats easy,

first, you open up gun_d2.dds (using ifranview), thats the default texture for any gun. then you can convert this dds file into a bitmap or anything, so you go to "save as" and select BMP (or whatever)and select your path name, the open the pic up in a 2d editing program (such as photoshop or image ready) and change it as you see fit...then just export it to the entities original folder as a TGA and delete "gun_d2.dds"

IMPORTANT
makesure you have backups of all the files you delete!

hope this helps
-BULLSHOCK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:02:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:02:59