Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Have an idea need the right tools

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 13:32
Cannot go into detail about my game so I will just ask questions because I need help getting started.

1. I want to create a windows xp based game. I want it to run in xp windows so you don't leave the desktop I.E. Drug lord. Can i do this with darkbasic or do I have to use darkbasic sdk?

2. I need a graphical health bar kinda like what you see in fighting games. Is there a sample of this code anywhere?

That's all I have for now. Thanks for the help guys!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 20:42
1. Yes you can

2. Health bars are very easy, You will probably find some examples in the codebase, or in the competition source code from the last compo.

BatVink
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 22:15
1. Just a little clarification on this one ...

You need to be in Project View mode (view->display mode->Use project view mode).
Click on the project settings button in the lower-right corner.
Select the 'Windowed' radio button, and optionally, select the window size using the 'Pick' button.

The next time you compile your program it will run in a window.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
womo1975
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 11:04
What i mean by windows is I want my game to be played in a window instead of in screen mode. Drug runners is played this way so are many other games. That would allow the player to minimize the game and do something else like check e-mail or whatever.
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2005 15:17
1. Use this code snippet so you can use just the window, you can adjust the size accordingly, but I kept it 640x480

2. Health bars are pretty easy, like BatVink said, you can search the Code Base, or you can make up your own, using 3D plains like the "make object plain..." command. You can use variables and things to keep track, and even put in Save Games using .dll or just the write file command, and read file command.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:24:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:24:28