Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Bland Matrix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2005 20:51
I've modelled a matrix using a basic matrix editor i made not long back, but the lighting is non-existant. I've tried fiddling with the ambient light, but i cant seem to make it look any different. I know of some commands (set vector3 to matrix position, set normalisation on) etc, but i dont know how to use them. Can anyone help? I've attached an image of my matrix, so you know what im on about....thanks!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 00:03
The lighting seems perfectly fine in the picture??

btw...what part of nottingham are you from?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 00:32
What lighting in the picture? - it's flat!

You need to figure out those normals, like check the tank demo that comes with DBC - basically the normal of each tile needs to be calculated manually, the tank demo shows how to generate the normals, but I imagine there are a few examples around. Once you set all the normals on your matrix your set, it should look nice and smooth.

Van-B

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 00:47
Or, you could turn off ambient light altogether and plonk a directional light in there, which should add some manner of shading. Ambient light is global, meaning it has no direction and does provides no shading.

Desktop: AMD Athlon XP2800+,Radeon 9800 128MB, 1GB DDR RAM
Laptop: AMD Athlon 64M 3000+,Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, 512MB DDR RAM
Chris Nottm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 01:54
OK, thanks for your help, i'll give it a go. Could anyone please explain what a 'normal' is? It would help me understand, if it were explained in simple turns. Again thanks, and Dark Flame, im from Stapleford...
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 03:49
english and proud: ......dont mind me im just loving the name !....ok back to business..what program did you use to make the matrix, if it has the feature in the editor get it to "normalise" the matrix, which will work out the shading and really help with the depth.
When i used matrices i used MatEdit as it had this feature.

Chris Nottm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 04:21
Baggers:
I made the program myself, so it doesnt have a feature in it, because i didnt put it in. Thanks for the suggestion though. Would you be able to explain to me what a normal is? I looked up the following command:
Set Matrix Normal Matrixno,TileX,Tilez,NX,NY,NZ
i dont really have any idea how to incorporate that in, or what the NX,NY & NZ means. Could anyone help please? Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:27:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:27:20