Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Before requesting help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 04:57 Edited at: 27th May 2005 04:59
First off, most of the people on this forum are great and for those who this does not apply to, I apologize for this post.

I enjoy helping people out in the newcomers’ corner, it’s a really good place to learn and ask questions, but before you do can you read the following:

1. These forums have been around for a long time now and most questions have already been asked, at the bottom of the page there is a Search Phrase function. Try using this before posting as if someone asked the same question a week before your post, people will tend to ignore your question.

2. When posting, in the subject tag, rather than asking Noob needs help!, which is not very informative, try and classify your problem. Some examples are:
a. If you need help on collision, state Collision Help in the subject
b. If you have trouble with sprites, state either 2D, or Sprite Help in the subject.
There are many different types of questions which you may need to ask. We all have strong and weak sides of programming, if I see a post that I can answer, I will tend to visit that post before any other.

3. Please don’t misspell words on purpose, there are a lot of members whose first language is not English, if you misspell, that’s cool. I can’t write any other language at all that well.
Some people however can speak good English yet abbreviate such as Pleeze and Ze. This just puts us off and makes you look retarded!

4. Try and be appreciative and willing to learn! If you get a good answer, reply back saying thank you. I have made many posts which I took a while to write or work out just to find the person didn’t thank me!
Recently I made a post, I didn’t help much but I tried and the member thanked me for what I had done, things like this make us all feel good and make the forum a nicer place!

Also don't just say things such as I want to make a RPG or FPS, give me code!!! That’s just plain and simple rudeness! When ever I need help, I try to ask about theories on how to go about things, then I work out the code myself. I understand this is not always possible as sometimes you will need people to write the code for you, just try and learn and not copy.

Again, this doesn't apply to most of the people here, but for the rest, please take note!

James Morgan

[EDIT]
This may seem odd coming from someone who joined this April, but I have been with Dark Basic since the third patch of DBC. My fourm name has changed since then.

My first sexual experiance was in my girlfriends house, then she came down stairs and ruined it...
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 06:27
Ahh James, if only they would lisen to your sage like self (im not being sarcastic, i wish they would !) but unfortunately advise like yours echos ours and still seems to fall on deaf ears,
best you can do is lead by example, criticise when neccesary and generaly keep the peace !

Kudos for the time that must have gone into that, very nice to see a caring new(?) user.

James Morgan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2005 07:05
I wish they would listen!
Im not new, I was with DB from almost the begining, then due to work, soon after DBPro came out, I kept programming but did not access the forums - lucky since I left a long time ago, they now have good admins and rules (such as the team request rule)

One note tho Baggers, are you really Yonder over dem dere hills? hehe just kiding, I like some of the posts you have made recently!

One other thing I would like to note:

Code Base

Code Base is really usefull, pretty much - any usefull 'free for all' code that has been published on these forums can get saved there.
So theres two places you can look, the Search Phrase and Code Base

James

My first sexual experiance was in my girlfriends house, then she came down stairs and ruined it...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:26:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:26:42