Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Newton FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 00:22 Edited at: 15th Jun 2005 01:19
Hey, i've started working on my newton FPS again (there was a post a while ago, called Smeg ). And i would appreciate it if some people could download the new demo, and see if it works. You don't need to look for bugs (i already know about most of them), but if you could just tell me if it actually ran and what speed your getting. Thanks.

http://oliver.dbspot.com/fps_1.zip
(thanks to Jimmy hosting it )
Tom Taylor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 00:28 Edited at: 28th May 2005 02:01
Hm, got an error... You use 24-Bit resolution?

But I will try it again if you can help me fixing this! My DirectX and everything is fine, btw.

EDIT: Follow posts to fix this!!!

Tom Taylor
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 00:58
Hmmm, well thanks for trying it. It should be running in 16-bit, at least, thats what the darkbasic editor says. So, I don't think thats the problem. I'll wait to see if anyone else gets the same error. Thanks again,

Oliver
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 01:00 Edited at: 28th May 2005 01:01
I love the graphical style. I will download this and try as soon as I get back to my PC later today.

Also - that's a grat font you're got there. How's it done? Sprites?

Facts are meaningless.
You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 01:08
I tried it out and wow its great XD One of the doors leading to the area where the darlek-like monsters came from wouldnt open? But its okay because i had alot of fun building some stairs out of blocks to get up there XD

Went all around the level pushing things over and generally being a nusiance. Was enjoying pushing boxes off the top of the level and then quick shooting their tip to give them alot of spin on the way down XD

good job, cant wait for it to get more features

About your error, Tom; I got the same one. its because of directx now being contained in a dll instead of in a static library, you will need to google for the dll file name, download it and put it in the same directory as his exe. Worked for me after that

[07:16:59-pm] « Sephnroth » you were dreaming about lee...
[07:17:13-pm] « Mouse » stfu
[07:17:22-pm] « Mouse » he was hanging himself lol
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 01:25 Edited at: 28th May 2005 01:28
David T - Yup, all the text is done with sprites, painted in PSP. It looks even nicer close up - its sorta transparent.

Sephnroth - Thats great that it worked! And its even better that you like it . I never knew about that DX dll stuff, perhaps I should include it in the zip?

By the way, the controls are:
WASD - movement
E - use/pick-up/open
Left shift - run (you have to hold it)
Left mouse button - shoot
Middle mouse button - change weapon (you have to click it)
Right mouse button - zoom
Enter - debug mode (you have to hold it)

[edit]
Does anyone not have a 3 button mouse?
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 01:33
Yes i found all those controls except the debug mode

The dll you are actually not allowed to redistrbute according to microsofts eula. They are "working a way around the problem" apprantly << But there are people who distro it online anyway because there is just so many problems with it.

But I -think- the latest version of dbp fixed this issue by going back to an older dx9? Correct me if im wrong anyone

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 01:52 Edited at: 28th May 2005 01:59
Sephnroth - I've no idea, but thanks for the help. I guess some people will just have to download it then.

PS:If you want, you can also check out my new website at:http://oliver.dbspot.com/
Tom Taylor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 02:00
Ok, I fixed the missing DLL...

Very nice work and lovely grafix! Fast and smooth collisions with all objects. It's amazing... And the zoom mode is cool, too - but cannot shot in zoom mode

Tom Taylor
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
ahh cool.. i love the font

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5sec. of your life!
click here to return your 5sec.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 03:17 Edited at: 28th May 2005 03:19
I get the error as well, I'm using the April update of DX, so I don't know what the problem is. I can't find the file anywhere to download. Please give a link someone!

EDIT

Found it...

http://www.clootie.ru/delphi/DX92/d3dx9_24_dll.zip

More tea Vicar?
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 03:21
As I stated, its actually against the eula to redist the dll on its own. But everyone is doing it because its the only solution at the moment so I may as well give a link to someone elses website who are offering it:

http://www.clootie.ru/delphi/DX92/d3dx9_24_dll.zip

a mod can edit that out if they feel they must

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 03:29
a better solution is to download the FULL upgrade and recompile.
not sure why so many people are still using the beta, but I refuse to install a DLL that isn't needed except for DB/P.

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 04:20 Edited at: 28th May 2005 04:54
Oh, now I understand . Thanks for solving that Sephnroth & Raven. I'm downloading the full 5.8 upgrade now. And i'll hopefully upload the new exe today.

[edit]
Ok done.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 05:21
Quote: "Does anyone not have a 3 button mouse? "

i do

looks nice! (can't download it right now though)

"We make the worst games in the universe."

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 17:23 Edited at: 28th May 2005 17:31
I maxed out at about 350 FPS, aka it ran quite nicely.

I too am working on a first person shooter based off of Newton, no final plans for where I want to take the game but it's a side project I'm working on. One thing I'm having trouble with however is setting up the level. I noticed that you had independent objects placed around the level, did you create a seperate level editor to save those object positions to a text file? Or did you place them manually with trial and error?

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 17:46
Peter - Thanks, i guess i'll have to add support for 2 button mouses (sp?).

QuothTheRaven - I arranged the objects in the same modeling program that i made the level in. Then just copied the coordinates into the text file. Its really quick, i don't see the point in making a level editor.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 01:21 Edited at: 15th Jun 2005 01:35
New Demo

I've got a new demo for everyone to test. This time it would be helpful if people could post any bugs, suggestions or comments.

http://oliver.dbspot.com/fps_2.zip (7 mb)

Changes
Bug fixes (shooting + zooming, picking up ammo, broken door)
Bullet holes now stick to doors
Completely new textures on the level
The level has been lightmapped (using the same method that Goldeneye on the N64 did)
Quite a bit of detail has been added to the level (lights, door switches)
Added quick textures to the gun + arm
Generally tidied the code and made some optimisations

To do
Add some sort of event triggers, so I can create a story
Create the second level
Create a sweeet menu

And I think that is enough thinking ahead for now.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 02:26
wow this demo is so much better now than what it was when i tried it some months ago really great improvements, i havent done anything to my fps since that time though

anyway, you wanted bugs:
the first door i cant open if im not looking at the lower left corner of it. when i finally found that out and was about to continue on and as though the door was open, i couldnt walk in to the hallway

other stuff:
the new textures are great!
the loading spashscreen is the best, i love it.

i ran it at 45fps the most:
1500mhz AMD semprion, 256mb ram, nvidia4 mx
was kind of difficult to walk up the stairs

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 03:12
Yea, its a long time since I started this, but it can get really boring - there just too much media to do. Anyway, I recomend just working on it on and off - in other words, its about time you started working on your FPS again .

I think I will blame the bug on Newton, sometimes it messes up on the level. I remember it used to happen alot, but I thought I managed to fix it. Hmm.

Well, thanks for trying it, and glad you liked it.
Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh heh. See pic. Not sure what was going on with the health...the jumping didn't go to well either as most of the time it was about a centimetre up but once or twice it jumped properly. Very smooth although slow and I could not get down the hall as Lucas said. Very fun though.

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 18:15
Robot
Yea, the health doesn't stop at zero, since I haven't coded the game-over screen yet, so at the moment you can't die (which is actually very useful at this stage). The jumping is a problem though, and at the moment I'm not sure how to fix it. As for it running smooth but slow, you can run using the shift button. But I should probably increase the walking speed aswell. Thanks for the feedback, it really is helpful .

I haven't been able to recreate the problem with the hallway that Lukas first mentioned. So it would be really helpful if someone who encounters this, could take a screenshot (while pressing the enter key so that lots of funny lines are displayed) and post it here. Thanks.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 19:33
im at school and i tried it on this computer.
it runs but it runs at 18fps. i cant walk up the stair (dont worry, this happens to my fps too)

too bad newton games will be unfunctionable with low fps.

webpage is finally working... 50%
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 19:33
hi i am also working on a PFS with Newton - going ok so far.

ne way, about the hallway problem mentioned by LUKAS - it cud be that the the actual newton world is on a sm,all setting - if im thinking striaght then the engine you are using is similar to the one i know.

I solved a similar problem by doin this:

> goto the Newton Functions .dba attatched file and alter the parameters to the command NDB_SetWorldSize (think its that) to something a little more significant, like 10000000000 - this shud allow the DLL to make every db object work with newton in a space of 100000000000.

Hope that setttles the problem

"Waltzing to scum and base"
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 19:54
Lukas W
Hmm, I haven't really looked into problems caused by low fps (or high), I was wondering if newton handeled that automatically since you have to give it all the timer() stuff. Well, I'll look into it later. But then, I never expected it to actually run on a school computer. Pretty cool .

opticalrecess
I should imagine we all have very similar codes, since I assume most of us started with that code that Wabaler made. However, I don't think the problem is NDB_SetWorldSize, since that would cause it to mess up every time (and it doesn't for me). I'm almost certain its something to do with errors when Newton converts the level into a collision mesh (btw, you can press enter to check it). Well, thanks for trying it, and have fun with your own FPS . You people should post some stuff about your fps's, i'd be interested in seeing how there coming along.

Oliver
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 20:12
@ Oliver

Thx, worth the try. Yeh, this is my second attempt at the Walaber code. On light discussion i am attempting an online game with my version - bt the code is still waaayy in its infancy. I am getting ready tho for a WIP post - just gotta get my A2 exams outta tha way frst! Il continue methodising solutions for that bug if u want and get bac k to you. I wud also like to make ther userinput fast as well as smooth. I have tried so m any possibilites but they change nothing (even multiplying the AccelX# and Accelz~ vars by how long the W,A,S,D keys!)

you'll choose to ignore my advice
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 20:26
Ah, online games are hard with darkbasic. Though I think the people working on the community FPS managed it, you could take a look at their code (since its open source), but I never understood any of it. It becomes way to confusing when more than one person works on it - well thats my opinion .

Good luck with the exams (i finished my 3 weeks ago ). And I have noo idea what your trying to achieve by making the 'userinput faster', but I hope you get it to work .
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 21:27
ok...

you'll choose to ignore my advice
dj blackdragon3710
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 04:13
Quote: "Though I think the people working on the community FPS managed it"

Yeah we had it working, but something happened and we are now in the process of fixing it.

<<<<<Used to be "djblackdragon" with being registered in January, 2003, no matter what it says on the left<<<<<
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 22:08 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2005 22:08
hi, i know this post is long dead, but Oliver:

* how did you manage to make your enemies rotate?

i have tried to understand it but i cant figure out how to do it

hope you're still around

Essence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 22:44
grmph... DBSpot is down
Can you upload this to another host?

First DifNiX -> now EvaX.
Louiz ofRohr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 23:12 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2005 23:23
Quote: "how did you manage to make your enemies rotate?"

Maybe "NDB_NewtonBodySetOmega"..

I did stop learning Newton for a while..
So I don't remember the correct command..
But I think you can use the command above and set a friction to the enemies

The worst foe lies within the self..

>WorstGame<
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 14:41
I can't download it
The website is dead.

PanzerGameshere
Free Particle Engine For dbpro :
here
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 15:56 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2005 16:07
Louiz ofRohr,
yes i know that i need to use the Omega to rotate. but when i do it will only rotate at the angle 0-180. i have talked to walaber and he gave me some tips so i think i will be able to figure it out soon

The Nerd, EvaX,
i found this link. it is version 2. i think the version oliver posted was v3 or v4.. but since that file does no longer exist. here is v2:
http://www.geocities.com/darksmegger/

edit,
doh! the download does not work...

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2005 19:00
too bad

PanzerGameshere
Free Particle Engine For dbpro :
here
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 23:58
Oliver, e-mail jimmy and he'll restore your website from one of his numerous backups. He's only restoring sites on demand at the moment..

Part of the 'Emergency Response Noob Shooting Team' :: Feel free to add me to MSN, but don't expect any big favours.
I AM _NOT_ A MOD, I AM ONLY HUMAN (although I fly in my spare time).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:18:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:18:41