Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TIPs for newbies on the WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 01:03
Some of you have started a project and want to show it to everyone and brag, before you post a wip look at this;
Make sure people will like it
Don't bother making unrealistic points, no one will buy them
Read the what makes a good WIP post thread
A lot of people on here get annoyed with newbies because of stupid comments and known lies and not to mention bad WIP posts (its not the project that is wrong its the post)

If you have started a project, stop and think, are you really experienced enough to carry on with it, most of you aren't, so my advice is look at other projects and see if anyone could do with a programmer for little things, help with that, then you'll get a little bit better, as soon as your skills are good enough carry on with the project you started and it should look good

When you do post WIP posts.(summary of soapy fishes thread)
Does
-Post screenshots (A menu or premade character from a media set isn't a proper screenshot, we want ingame progress)
-Give information on the project
-At least have an engine of the game when posting screenshots
-Keep thread up to date with what you have done
-if you cannot post anything recent for reasons, e.g. exams, holdiay etc. do say so

DON'TS
-Never lie, can stab you in the back
-Never mislead people or new misimple (eg. Gogeta X made us think they made some models but didn't tell us but implied they did)
-Don't make any unrealistic impressions on your game or when it will be finished and what you hope to achieve with it, the chances are your first project will not be something to sell well, and you always go past the date you set for yourself.

This forum isn't exactly flame free, so I wouldn't do anything to annoy people and make sure you follow rules of the forum, if you are ever unsure check the stickies at the top of each section in the forums, icon is like a splat
If you do not obey forum rules or if you annoy people there is a high chance they will tell you off, nag you, give you a lecture or flame you.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 01:07 Edited at: 28th May 2005 01:21
None of this helps, because unfortunatly newcomers never read stickys.

It's M-E-G-A-T-O-N. NOT MEGATRON.
DON'T MAKE ME GET THE RABBIT.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 02:02 Edited at: 28th May 2005 02:03
damn, I was hoping some would come to their senses by reading it, but theres no harm in trying lol, people and their crappy posts are beginning to annoy me, I mean I know when I was a newbie I wasn't someone who was pathetically annoying, I'm sure u and most other people weren't

Tom Taylor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 02:10 Edited at: 28th May 2005 02:15
Quote: "their crappy posts are beginning to annoy me"

Don't think negative! People are in very different ages here and have very different skills. Looks like you are some better skilled... So try to ignore the stupid or meaningless posts. So atleast someone can hope for your help maybe... Personally, I don't answer crappy posts to get not involved with flamming.

EDIT: I try to follow the rules anyway! It's a MUST to post for serious WIPs... And this is already written in the thread called "How To Know if Your Games Ready For A W.I.P Post"

Tom Taylor
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 04:24 Edited at: 28th May 2005 04:25
Well I summarised that, just added bits about not lieing and annoying people because the chances are they'll get flamed, unless that was also included later on in the thread, but still this draws emphasis to the point

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 04:44
Quote: "People are in very different ages here and have very different skills."

Or "People are in very different ages and some have no skills"

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 05:08
well...this post is pretty useless...if they don't read the "How To Know if Your Games Ready For A W.I.P Post" then they probably won't read this...all you did was bump one valid WIP off the page

"We make the worst games in the universe."

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 05:22
But thw 'how to tell if your game is ready for wip' doesnt actually answer the question it is supposed to address. It just gives a load of tips and stuff.

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 05:42
uh...it tells you exactly what you need to have a WIP...

(actual work, screens, demo, ect)

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 05:46
Yeah.. but it doesnt actually answer the question (how to know when your game is ready). It even admits that in the thread

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 05:56
yeah...if you don't know after reading the thread though then you have serious problems

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
lol.. why u remind me in this story?

By the time you finish reading this, you realize you have wasted 5sec. of your life!
click here to return your 5sec.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 07:40
Because it happened like...yesterday?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2005 07:52
Well if one person couldn't get the 'how to know if your...' thing, then other people especially newbies, so this post kinda has a second shot at showing understanding

@GogetaX its just something to use as an example to deter people from making mistakes, and yours is the most recent one and the only one that came to my head

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
You should add that all media content should be your own and if not, tell us and make sure you have permission first. Having people turning up with work that isn't their own just ruins it for the rest of us. I just hope some people come to their senses and only post meaningful things.

JW

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:29:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:29:30