Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Bump mapping on matrixes?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2002 21:39
Can we have 2 textures on a matrix? Like bump mapping or whatever
If so, how?
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 04:37
bump mapping and using multiple textures are 2 very different things. please elaborate.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Madehra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 18:42
Hmm, lets see,
I create a matrix from an elevation bitmap, then I use a colored bitmap of the same map to color the matrix, then I want to use another bitmap to give some detail to each tile, one that works with transparencies or alpha channels or whatever (im learning this technical stuff ), the result should be a matrix with lots of different colored tiles (from the colored map) and a texture given to each tile by a grey scale bitmap. The texture will be the same for each tile since it comes from the same bitmap, but each tile has a base color taken from the colored bitmap (colored bitmap is same size as elevation bitmap, so 1 pixel of the colored bitmap will be one tile, if I dont have another texture to add some detail, the whole tile would have the same color, ugly, but the texture cant cover the tile's base color, it must have transparencies). I dont know if this works, but I saw something similiar in a program called Total Terrain, though its not made in DB.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 19:17
Your not making sense man. Do you want to use multiple textures using a height-based system? Are you talking about LOD terrains or matrixes? Maybe you want some sort of mip-mapping effect? It’s very difficult to tell from your posts. Also please don’t use technical terms if you don’t know exactly what they mean.

Madehra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 20:46
heh, you're right, sorry. i think i understand what something means but i really dont, yet.
Im talking about matrixes, problem is, i dont know how to properly texture a matrix with different textures for different height levels, want to have grass, arid, desert, mountain, blah, and make it look good, so im looking for solutions, probably the wrong ones. Thanks.
deadlyduck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 19:45
your best idea is to convert the matrix to a mesh, then you can use the blend texture and multiple texturing

I presume you want to add detail like roads etc to a mesh that has the other textures applied.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 00:40
When DBP's terrain patch comes out you will be able to do exactly that.

Madehra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 01:19
Awesome, thanks guys!
Whats a mesh? lol I'll look in the manual right now.
Madehra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 01:43
Mesh is a wireframe description of a 3d shape, ok, so how do i convert a matrix to a mesh?
Didnt find anything about blend texture and multiple texturing, where's that?

Ok, from what Froggermon said I suppose those things will be possible (or easier to do) once patch 2 is released. Have other things to do until then.

Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:09:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:09:55