Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / creating an environment

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if it is best to use the MAKE OBJECT [shape] and then apply textures to get get symetrical objects such as houses, walls, columns, etc., or if it is better to create the objects with a modeling program and load them in textured. Creating them in a modeling program sounds more friendly, but what is the difference in performance between the two methods? Can I have 300 instances of walls, 20 buildings, player, and monsters all at the same time without negatively affecting performance?

I noticed that when I randomly placed 100 swaying trees on a large matrix, fps slowed considerably. I am on a AMD athalon xp with 128 megs of video and 1024 ram.

Thank your for your help.

Cyril

With math all things are possible
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
A matrix will suck up your fps quite a bit its kinda old stuff so not the most efficient. Also it depends if those trees are really detailed and they are effected by a wind variable that changes then they are likely also going to slow it down...you just got to find the right balance and work with it.

The admiral
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 21:38
External models would be preferable, you will struggle to texture standard shapes correctly.

You can CLONE or INSTANCE objects for improved performance. Additionally, you can make a building have 4 different looks simply by rotating it. Just make each side of the texture significantly different. Or have an irregular roof.

BatVink
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2005 22:59
Generally speaking, yeah you want to try to rely less on the built-in functions and more on pre-built mesh.

This said, a main speed demon is the Matrix. You can quite easily create your own Mesh Matrix using the Memblocks. If you check the DB/P Section you'll find several ode to show you roughly how to do this.

Another thing is when creating multiple objects using the 'Instance' function provides you with much more speed. This is good for objects you all want doing the same thing like Trees.

Clone object is better when you need them to be independant.

Also for some reason objects in a single object( limb of an object ) seem to be able to run much much much quicker than either close or instance objects.

Generally speaking for speed means try to keep everything static to a single mesh; personally speaking, I would hold the mesh information in an array; then build the world real/time in a memblock. Some simple routines to check what area needs to be rendered next through a basic octree or something

Collision is a little more difficult; but generally creating static collision boxes allow you to have quick collision; without the speed loss.

Cyril Grey
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your assistance.

I understand most of what you all mentioned. However, could someone explain how mem blocks work, and how to use them?

Cyril

With math all things are possible

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:28:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:28:42