Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need assistance with DEBUG - why is it not working correctly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello my young friends (and some old ones too):

Got into a snag with my dungeon program. Seems that the monsters like to appear but when you go battle them, a RUNTIME error occurs at line 1207 - Object is not found. Well it seems that this error at 1207 is a comment line. I deleted the line but now it saying 1210 is bad and it is another comment line. This program is giving me an ulcer but I refuse to give up. IS there a way to debug the program on the run. Now before you say run in DEBUG Mode I have several large FOR...NEXT statements I don't want to wait on within DO...LOOP Statements. I want to give this program out to the DBP community, but due to my current health, I have not been able to work on the project very long. Is there someone I can trust to upload the source code too and have he/she look at it. I will share the credit with them. What is the protocol for assisting users with semi-large programs? Thanks, and I will go take some medicine for this ulcer.

Old Programmer's are not ugly; they are just Visually BASIC.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2005 02:58
the error reporting is sometimes one line up (line 12) when the fault is on line 13.

Also sound like somethings calling a number like zero which you may not have in monsters or it calling 1 higher that total monsters.

hope that some help.

I'm not getting you down am I, Ho Look! another fancy Door?
OLDTom
Years of Service
User Offline
The debug was way off - line 1145 more or less. My eyes are not as good as they should be. Turns out the Object number for a drawn card was 5000+zzz and I had 50000+zzz so thus no object. I wish there was a way to start a trace using a command TRACE ON and TRACE OFF to monitor line number flow between suspected buggy areas. That might be something to concider in the next release of DBPRO.
Thanks you the help. Program is almosr finished, just needs dusting and beta test.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2005 18:26
happy to help.

Aways the extra number or ; instead of : that mucks it up.

I use the text command get it to print all the variable that I wish to keep an eye on then remove them when it sorted.

I'm not getting you down am I, Ho Look! another fancy Door?
OLDTom
Years of Service
User Offline
6-6-05

Just to let you know I finished 98% of my program and it plays fine. Ther are a few minor bugs that show their ugly heads from time to time. My nephew, who is going into the Navy, stopped by and beta tested the program and was able to fix a few of the bugs. For those of you who are curious, I took the example Dungeon tutorial program and went crazy with it and make a board/card/fps game with it. It does not look like the original tutorial but plays like a board game from the first person perspective using dice to determine to wins a battle and cards drawn for the treasures which shows up on the screen as an object. The monsters, well I borrowed some from Dark Matter 1&2 and made them the creatures you had to defeat on a dice roll. I based the program on the rules of the board game Dungeon!. I no not know how to present the program or even if I could sell it. But I had fun creating it and hope to let others try it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:18:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:18:09