Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Glod: Adventure Game in the Making

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Some of you may have seen my previous thread, "Untitled Puzzle Game". Well, its evolving into an adventure game. Many more functions are being coded for the now named main character "Glod" and the world around him is becoming infinitely more interactive, giving the user a much stronger experience in the generated world. Screenshots are still the same as the previous game, in world layout etc, but this is due to the engine being considered BEFORE the graphics and general "sexy" look to the game. Screenshots and videos will be posted in the "Project Glod" section of my site, http://www.scalerusoft.com. Please visit and feel free to sign up to the forums. I am really in need of constructive criticism on this project, so please don't hold back in your comments.

Current features of the game:
Basic movement
Character Gravity
Jumping
Collectable Objects
Dangerous Objects
Character Momentum

Features currently being developed:
Ability to Crush Objects From Above (slamming them in mid air)
Ability to Throw TnT
Delayed Camera Movement

Features planned:
AI for upwards of 10 enemy types
Missions system
.x worlds
Outdoor scenery
Numerous character actions and weapons

If you can suggest any other features to be added to the list, please feel free to comment. As I said earlier, I am really looking for constructive criticism, be it for or against the making of this project. An interactive demo will be available within the next few weeks and will allow you to use the basic character actions and weapons on different types of objects.

Looking forward to your comments.

JW

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2005 17:55 Edited at: 5th Jun 2005 18:09
Looks nice and solid, reminds me of Gish.. Better to get the engine done before graphics, kudos and good luck.

http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update1_Screen2.jpg

Just say if you want this hotlink removed.
Good work!

Dumbo and Cool - August 31st, $9.99
Also this year - Oddworld RTS
Next year... The Old Remedy 2 and Scarecrow!
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comment, and I'm not too worried about posting links directly to screens, its just you can access them all through the site . I know its a bit quick to start posting updates, but bad luck:

New features:
Ability to Crush Objects From Above (slamming them in mid air)
Fixed the Jumping Camera

It seems that with the progress I'm making, an interactive demo will be possible much sooner than I said earlier. I'm working as hard as I can to get something out to you people.

JW

BF game programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 01:33
sounds cool and looks nice good work Scaleru

james bond rules and star wars
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I'm having a bit of trouble with my collision system again though, but I should have it adjusted in the next couple of days. Look forward to more screens and a video soon.

JW

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 16:47
Your default mambo theme theme I use....awesome.

The momentum video was cool, very solid indeed!

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehehe, I can't be bothered making a new theme for now Thanks for the good feedback on the video, thats the kind of thing I'm looking for I didn't get around to any coding today, just got Guild Wars, so I'll start work again tomorrow. Keep viewing people and please... More feedback

JW

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok people, the first video of the new gravity system including jumping and the latest feature "Butt Crushing". Enjoy, and please give feedback.

http://www.scalerusoft.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=28

Tom Taylor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 19:36
Funny! I liked to watch him crashing. If you have nice grafix for that (like dust from the crash or something) too, it will be a lot of fun to jump around and crash and crash... You know "Crash Bandicoot"?! http://www.vbmyadmin.com/taylor/MECHWAR/CrashBandicoot4.jpg

Just loved that Jump'n'Run!

Tom Taylor
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehehe, yeah, I'm going to get animations working on them one day, but not just yet. Not sure how to go about it Just need to get the collisions adjusted and I'll start trying to make it look a little better. If anyone can drop a few ideas on me about particles or some other method, that would be great.

JW

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 13:05 Edited at: 19th Jun 2005 14:45
I have been busy with school lately, I'm in my final year, so I haven't had much time to work on the project. But just a small update for now, I have almost finished work on the player object, a small, fat penguin with the dreams to fly. I'm making him in Blender, but I've run into a few small problems:

1: How can one lower the polygon count?
2: Could someone point me toward an unwrapping tutorial for blender?
3: Could someone point me toward an animating tutorial for blender?

If anyone can help with the above, it would speed things up greatly and get the project on the move once more.

EDIT: A very early render of the model can be found here: http://www.scalerusoft.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=28

JW

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, here's the deal; I've recently updated DBP to the latest version, and now I'm having a few large problems. My previously fine camera code, which included the pitch camera command, was once fine, but now causes errors. Has this command been adjusted at all? Also, I've noticed that and, then and a few other keywords are no longer appearing in blue to indicate that they are reserved words. Is this true to the latest patch, or has something gone terribly wrong? Thankyou to anyone that bothers to reply, if anyone. This is causing very big problems in the development time.

JV

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Since people seem to respond better to pretty graphics on this forum, I've decided to work on some of the polishing of this project. I have also decided to use the engine to make a puzzle game for the compo, but more information on that later. A sky box has begun construction, screens can be found here:

http://www.scalerusoft.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=28.

But as can be seen in these shots, the seams between the plain objects appear quite bold. Could anyone suggest a method to soften those out so they are not written to the screen? When considering this, remember that the sky box is in actual fact 5 plain objects with the sky textures.

I have also started work on a water system, but that will require shaders, so it will be attempted over the next few days. If anyone can point me to resources that may help, it would be very kind.

JV

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 04:21
Heck, we even respond pretty well to screen shots (Sage Tech Clones, are you listening?)! It's just huge sigs we hate. I mean, how many times must you see someone's image for every post?

-This...is my boomstick!
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
You can't be serious... You're ignoring my thread because of my signature? I find that very hard to believe because my previous thread, about this same engine, without my signature, and still go no responses at all. I am just a new programmer trying to find some help, but with people like you posting irrelevant things like this just wastes both our time. Please, if you want to respond, respond with constructive criticism. If you think my signature image is too large, then ask me nicely to resize it.

About responding to screenshots, you obviously do not as I have provided both screenshots and videos of my project. If you simply don't like what I have, then say so, tell me how I can improve it. I need to find ways to make my software better, not people ignoring me due to such trivial matters as my signature.

To those few people that have been to my site and have even bookmarked it, I thank you for your commitment to seeing my work, though a few comments would be nice, just to know someone is interested.

Also, Cellbloc, you were once new to the programming world. Imagine how you would feel if someone replied to your honest attempts with "your signature is too big" or "you don't provide us with screenshots". Please at least make an effort to look at my work or just don't respond unless you have something nice to say. Many people on these forums seem to be here to put people down and to prevent competition from entering the gaming world (while I even find this statement to be somewhat high hopes, it is true that many people will eventually enter the gaming world).

JV

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 15:25
A) Those are both relivent and serious comments. Yes we all make mistakes (like not finding the screenshots) but generaly on these forums its a rule to display some here.

B) He's been here for over a year and is an active member, thus he has probably had to comment on at least 50 other newbies with sigs annoyingly big. Dont get me wrong, your sig looks better than most, but still his comment is valid.

C)
Quote: "Also, Cellbloc, you were once new to the programming world."
Ever stopped to think he may have done the same thing and was saying it relativly nicely before someone else seriously bitched at you about it.

Dont worry man, pretty much all of us get these posts when we are young in the forums. We learn what to do to stop the annoying posts (like posting images).

I like the project by the way. The butt stomping thing is very Jazz esce too.
Keep up the good work.

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 18:37 Edited at: 24th Jun 2005 18:38
I'm not asking that he respond to my post at all, but since 600 wide seems to be too big for you people, I've adjusted the image to ~370 wide. Also, I'm not saying that he hasn't had these same problems, just that he must know what it might be like for me.

For those of you that don't like me not posting images here, here are the two images from the latest update on my site:

http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update4_Screen1.jpg
http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update4_Screen2.jpg

To see all the previous updates, go to my site: www.scalerusoft.com Under the Project Glod section.

Also, I made one wrong statement in my previous message: I am not quite new to the programming world as such, just new to 3D development. I have worked with other languages for 2-3 years. If I sounded like a complaining n00b, I apologise.

JV

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 21:58
Now thats a nice sig !...kinda makes mine look far too big now, damn!
Nice screenies by the way, though the seams of the skybox needs fixing... The solution to that has been posted in DBP section a few times, its just some variables you need set up... if i remember rightly its
Set object texture 1,2,1
Though i wouldnt quote me on that...i'll find the link soon.

Good work ! Looking forward to more.

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 23:29 Edited at: 24th Jun 2005 23:33
Ah, now that the conflict is over, I can get back to being nice and happy again. I know about the skybox (about the seams being visible), but the problem is I made it using plains as the texture appeared much better this way. I know it will probably end up being more difficult using this method, but I'll eventually find a way that will suit me. Meanwhile, I'll look through the forum and try and find a solution for the graphics.

The project has recently gone under a reconstruction by the way, so the collisions are once again being adjusted to make way for the new puzzle system thats being used for the compo. The current idea behind this build is to crush all the blocks in each level, moving them around to allow you to climb to the top of them to allow you to complete your objective. A few things are being finalized for this idea.

Any comments on the puzzle idea? I'll be including dangers in each level as the player progresses, and if I have time.

Just a note about my site: Not sure if this happens on others computers, but occasionally my browser will not allow me to view my site. If this happens to you, reloading the page a few times should fix the problem. I'm trying to find out if this is a widespread problem or just something on my end, but if it is occurring to others, I will be fixing that as soon as possible.

EDIT: Well, I just tried your suggestion, and by god it worked. Thankyou very much. Have a lightbulb:

JV

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 00:00
Hey cool !...my memory must be better than I give it credit for !
Cool idea for incorporating the puzzle aspect.
Hope all the reconstruction goes well

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 01:12 Edited at: 25th Jun 2005 01:21
@Scaleru:

Wow! I think you took that as 100% backwards from its original intent!

First, since you mentioned in your post:
Quote: "Since people seem to respond better to pretty graphics on this forum"

I was simply commenting on that you are correct, and this people on this forum responds better to graphics, even screen shots, which is where my comment

Quote: "Heck, we even respond pretty well to screen shots (Sage Tech Clones, are you listening?)! "

Comes from. Basically, there was this guy who claimed he was making a MMORPG, and we as a community kept asking for screenshot. As a community, we do respond better who show work instead of just stating their ideas. Anyways, this guy Sage Tech finally produced a screen shot which everyone knew was cut and pasted using Paint of all things. After he admitted he lied to us, he was a little more wiser to say things before they were actually true. This is good for you for you are showing your work as you progress, much better than a good deal of the other locked threads that are on this forum. Take a look at any locked threads, and more than likely they were locked due to no screen shots.

So basically I was complementing you that you were able to show BOTH a screen shots and a well designed web site.

Second, with my comment:
Quote: "It's just huge sigs we hate. I mean, how many times must you see someone's image for every post?"

I'm not quite sure why sigs exist anyways. In my opinion they are a waste of bandwidth and people who are on a dialup such as myself, it makes the page so much slower to load (sometimes the images get cached, but if you have your cache turned off, it's pretty slow). That an in my personal opinion, sigs are like popup ads.

Basically I was just giving you a heads up on how some of us in the community think about sigs.

Quote: "You're ignoring my thread because of my signature?"

I haven't a clue where you got this one from, for obviously I have responded.

Quote: "Also, Cellbloc, you were once new to the programming world. Imagine how you would feel if someone replied to your honest attempts with "your signature is too big" or "you don't provide us with screenshots""

When I was "new" to the programming world, America had people landing on the moon....but I do follow your logic.

Anyways, the ENTIRE point I am trying to make is this:

GREAT JOB! Keep up the good work. Hope this works out for you to share with the entire community.

-This...is my boomstick!
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, so I may have misuderstood your comment, but it was rather vague in my opinion. Anyway, I apologise for the misunderstanding. And while you make a point about image size in kilobytes, my previous one was in actual fact smaller than Baggers current one. Go figure. Oh well.

The project is slowly coming together, the rebuild is almost complete and will be ready for testing soon (the puzzle build off the engine). Once that is debugged, I'll look at menus and other polishing features. Thanks again for the code Baggers.

JV

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 08:41 Edited at: 25th Jun 2005 08:46
Not a problem. Glad it was cleared up. Basically it was an "inside" joke. For about 2 weeks solid, we had people doing nothing but posting "ideas" with nothing to back them up, and I mean NOTHING. No screen shots, always referred to a "Free" web hosting with 10000+ pop up ads, nada, zero.

Where as you paid for your domain name and hosting, shown screen shots, and provided a nice web site. You are 100% more than the other people who basically wasted space on the forum.

I never said I liked Baggers sig

Best of luck on the project. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Check my profile for what I can do.

-This...is my boomstick!
Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I know of Sage Tech myself, and he still hasn't earned my respect yet, even with the latest project. It just irritates me how those mmorpg and team requests threads manage to get so many posts. Why can't people just ignore them? Ah well.

I've been working on implementing the last of the previous collision system and I've hit a small error; seems Glod likes to freeze occasionally. It shouldn't take much longer to sort out, so then I'll get to work on the pushing objects collision code. That should get the project rolling.

I have just one question to throw at anyone able to help: Where can one find tileable water textures? I've been having trouble finding a good source for this.

JV

Scaleru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 20:26 Edited at: 26th Jun 2005 09:36
Just an update for today's work, not appearing on my site yet; I'm going to wait until the texturing and animating is done for the penguin for that. But for all you people here, 5 more screenshots, 4 in game and 1 of the final model build of the penguin, aka Glod. I'm also showing 1 video that displays the new effects, character shadow and lens flare. You'll also notice that I've imported Glod's model. He has been scaled to the size that will be used in the final release. Enjoy, and please give me feedback on the lens flare; I'm not sure if it looks alright or not (I've used a method that I haven't seen on these forums). All image sizes are ~60-70k.

http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update5_Screen1.jpg
http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update5_Screen2.jpg
http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update5_Screen3.jpg
http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update5_Screen4.jpg
http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/screens/Update5_Screen5.jpg

I'd like to note at this point that this is my first attempt at modelling a character of any kind, and almost my first modelling experience at all, so I'm rather proud of this creation. Constructive criticism over Glod is very welcome. Also, I'm looking for a way to texture this little guy, so if anyone can recommend an application... I also apologise for the size of the last image, I didn't realise it was that big until I uploaded it. I'll upload a smaller image as soon as I can. (Image size lowered from ~140k to ~70k)

The Video ~1.3mb: http://www.scalerusoft.com/projectglod/movies/Update5_Movie1.wmv
EDIT: Link has now been fixed.

Looking forward to any comments you may have. If you have any suggestions for features, please let me know, I'm open to any ideas.

JV

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 06:22:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 06:22:12