Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D engine for PlayBasic!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 09:11 Edited at: 6th Jun 2005 09:16
I've been working on a extremely easy to use 3D engine for some time now, named 3D Zone. The engine is distributed as a dll, and works with a lot of Basic flavours.

Now that PlayBasic has been released, I have decided to include support for this new language. Here is the result:

The code used to run the demo shown in the screenshot:

I will release this dll, with full documentation, for a really low price.

The estimated release date is mid-july.

== Jedive ==
AthlonXP 1600+, 512MB, GeForce5200, WinXP/DX9, Fedora Core 3
iBook G4 1Ghz, 256MB, Radeon9200, Mac OS X Panther
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 11:45
That's pretty cool. It's also nice to see PlayBasic get some good stuff out for it.
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "for a really low price"

what exactly were you thinking?

And this looks awesome, and with palybasic, even cooler.

evilness
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 15:25
Yes but isnt Darkbasic meant to be used for 3D? And playbasic for 2d? Wasnt that the whole point of making it for people who want to use 2d?

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<->GLADIATOR ARENA<<
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 18:14
That is what I was thinking but it is still really clever!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.tk
Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 18:41
Quote: "what exactly were you thinking?"
Something like 25€

Quote: "Yes but isnt Darkbasic meant to be used for 3D? And playbasic for 2d?"
Yes, that's why PlayBasic 3D support is really limited, but the fact that you can use Dll's with it opens a whole world of possibilities.

I started working on this before I ever heard of PlayBasic, and I just ported it to PlayBasic yesterday evening, after I downloaded the demo for this new language.

The other languages currently supported are:

- Blitz3D (yes, I know, B3D already has its own 3D engine, but since it works with BlitzPlus, you can also use it with B3D )
- BlitzPlus
- C / C++ (any compiler)
- IBasic Standard
- IBasic Professional
- PureBasic

I will also implement support for BlitzMax soon.

== Jedive ==
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 22:08
Wow... looks cool!

However;

If I wanted to use this in DBP, would I see any advantage over just using the DBP 3d commands?

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2005 23:31
Awesome work Jedive, I'm guessing UW thinks it's pretty awesome too!.

I think PlayBasic would evolve into 3D before long anyway, but having an engine for these lesser-known basics is great, especially those who are comfortable in their 2D language and want to expand without changing languages right away (or at all).

Van-B

Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 02:00
The reason why I want to release the engine for that low price is because in fact, I won't be charging for the engine (because internally I am using IrrLicht, which is free), but for all the hours I have put in wrapping everything inside a dll with an easy-to-use Basic-like command set, for the documentation, for the support I have added to a lot of new languages, and for the new stuff I will be adding after the 1.0 release (physics and the like).

You would take IrrLicht for free and wrap it on your own if you wanted to, but for this price, you can save a lot of time and concentrate on the game.

Also, some things have been added over the standard IrrLicht: In IrrLicht, you can only rotate a camera by giving it a target position where it wil look at. In 3D Zone, you can simply rotate it passing euler angles to it (like in DBP). In IrrLicht, there are no fuction to move a scene node (any mesh, particle system, light, etc) "forward", depending on where it is looking at, without manipulating vectors and matrices. In 3D Zone, you have zNodeMove.

And 3D Zone is extremely easy. If IrrLicht was easy, 3D Zone is a child's play.

== Jedive ==
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 02:07
Quote: "I won't be charging for the engine (because internally I am using IrrLicht, which is free)"

I was suspicious of that

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 03:15 Edited at: 7th Jun 2005 03:23
The line 'mesh = zMeshLoad("media/space/space.my3d")' said it all

== Jedive ==
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 05:09
Actually the 'node' stuff did

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 05:40
Sweet! I for one hope this is good enough and UW doesn't decide to implement native 3D functionality. PlayBasic is the fastest (to learn and to use) language and I fear that adding 3D natively would do nothing but slow down the language. It would be hard to compete with the likes of DBP and Blitz's 3D functionality as well--- I mean the whole point of using PB is that it has simple and efficient commands. It's also incredibly quick to test your programs (i.e. hit F5 and it runs automatically, rather than DBP's compiling then running)

--[R.O.B.O.I. and FireTris Coming Soon]--
Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 06:03
@Benjamin: A lot of 3D engines name the scene scene elements "nodes". That's something standard... OGRE, IrrLicht, NeoEngine, and a lot more.

== Jedive ==
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 06:31 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2010 23:50
Jeku,

Quote: "Sweet! I for one hope this is good enough and UW doesn't decide to implement native 3D functionality. PlayBasic is the fastest (to learn and to use) language and I fear that adding 3D natively would do nothing but slow down the language."

I wouldn't bet on that..

Jedive,

Quote: "Yes, that's why PlayBasic 3D support is really limited, but the fact that you can use Dll's with it opens a whole world of possibilities."

There's currently no 3D support in PB.

It's all looking pretty flash, you'll have to fire a demo our way.

Note: As of 2010 visit www.PlayBasic.com for updates.

Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 07:44
Oh I thought that the Wolfenstein demo were done with internal PB commands

I am too busy with exams these days to prepare a demo, but wait. It shouldn't take me much time to finish the library.

== Jedive ==
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 12:04
Quote: "Oh I thought that the Wolfenstein demo were done with internal PB commands"

You don't need a 3D Engine to do that
Checkout the Wolf3D code itself sometime, some clever stuff; but not real 3D.

Or well I've often wonder what the disernable difference is between the Raycast Rendering that Wolf3D does and read 3D. I mean I was once told it's because you can't look up and down that makes it more of a Pseudo 3D.

Still I think that was more down to a factor of speed. The Rendering technically doesn't change a great deal between Wolf3D and Quake. Atleast not in the huge jump that the industry made it out to be.. don't get me wrong, very clever code. Still at the heart it is doing almost identically what Wolf3D was before it, just more complexly.

I mean if you think about it it's like Subtraction.
There is nothing that makes Vector Subtraction any different to Single Subtraction, but it takes a little more complex math to achieve the answer.

You still have the same end result, and the main arithmatic is the same; you just have to overcome the fact that it's not a single value.

Heh.. well anyways, looks interesting. Hope you have some good features to make it a good choice.

Personally I've found Ogre3D to have more, and easier to use.
Particularly like the ability to switch seemlessly between OpenGL and DirectX. Not seen Irrilict for a year, so not sure what it's capable of now though.

G'luck with it.

Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 18:41
I found OGRE to be big, bloated, and full of dll's. Irrlicht fits into a really small single dll, and currently is very fully featured (supports bump & parallax mapping and pixel & vertex shaders).

Also, the license of IrrLicht allowed me to modify it to statically link it into my wrapper dll. This way, eveything is stored inside 3dzone.dll (which is only 615k by now), there is no need for Irrlicht.dll. The LGPL license that OGRE uses forces you to use dynamic linking.

== Jedive ==
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2005 17:14 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2010 23:51
Jedive,

So erm, hows 3D zone going ?

Note: As of 2010 visit www.PlayBasic.com for updates.

Jedive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 02:11 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2005 03:42
Hi Kevin. I have sent you an email about this. I will make an official announcement when the time comes, but I'm posting here what I have sent to your e-mail, so everyone can read it:

Quote: "3D Zone is now called ColdSteel, and is going much further than what I would ever have thought. You can use the engine in three ways:

- As a .dll, being compatible with Blitz3D/Plus/Max, C++, IBasic, PlayBasic, PureBasic, and any language which supports loading of dlls.

- As a standalone programming language, similar to Blitz3D, Cobra, DarkBASIC and so on. The engine uses a language similar to C++ (it is an implementation of AngelScript in fact). It comes with a compiler.

- As a standalone engine, coding your game in a .dll, in a similar way in which the Quake3 or Cipher engines work. You code your game, for example, in a .dll made in C, and then the engine runtime runs the code from the dll.

I will make an official announcement about this soon, I mainly have to deal with bugfixes before release. I may release a beta version of ColdSteel Lite, the free version of the engine."

That's all by now

== Jedive ==
AthlonXP 1600+, 512MB, GeForce5200, WinXP/DX9, Ubuntu
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2005 02:26
You put Purebasic twice in that list

My "everyone else has one so why can't I?" blog: http://www.jeku.com/blog/
Jedive
Years of Service