Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Peasant Quest style game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 07:42
I dont even need to tell you guy what I want to know how to do. I dont kno where too start

i owe all my wantingness to TBC at [href]www.homestarrunner.com[/href]
Dark Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 07:58 Edited at: 7th Jun 2005 07:59
If you don't know where to start then ready...you are not. (Yoda)
Think about what needs to happen and if the game is going to be 2d, 3d, a 1st person, 3rd person then work from there. Try planning your game out and what will happen.

Darkflame...

kaymation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 08:05 Edited at: 11th Jun 2005 05:00
ok I think it should be in 3D 1st person and a sphere wants to get his magic ball back from the EVIL king and uhhh....The king is a cone. that is all I know, dumb isn't it?

kaymation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 08:07 Edited at: 11th Jun 2005 05:02

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 08:14 Edited at: 7th Jun 2005 08:14
Coding help: Do not start with something so complex. It's like running before you can crawl. Once in a while, someone can do it - and more power to you if you can, but most people need to start with the basics.

Start with individual codes that do something specific. Try making a ball that you can move around. Then try making a town. Then try the ball in the town. Then try making a ball that will move on it's own. Then try making that ball do something that apppears inteligent - like find another ball. Then start mixing and matching. Before long, you will develop the skills to start running.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo
REALITY II
Dark Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 08:44
Defo start small just like RiiDii said...I recommend the Monsterhunt tutorial, not the actual game but the matrix and 3rd person tutorials near the start of it.

DarkFlame...

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 09:41
Why help newcomers with attitudes? I can't believe what I'm reading. I don't mind helping a newcomer who is interested in learning, and is appreciative of our efforts; but people like this... Meh

Hey Kaymation. RTFM!!!! OK. We are not here to serve you.

So you want help? check the attitude at the door.

Quote: " I dont even need to tell you guy what I want to know how to do. I dont kno where too start"

WTF are we suppose to do with this????

Then someone tries to help you and tried to guide you to think clearly about what you are attempting. And you reply...

Quote: "this is a very quick giveyouwhatyouwant 3d 3rd person a sphere wants to kill acone (the president of its town) because his servents killed his magic ball, good enough for ya DF?
"

Good enough for us? Are you kidding me?
The answer: No it's not good enough. Try coding something, anything, make a dam attempt. We are not going to code a game for you. And if you don't care enough about your own project, so be it.

Quote: " I need coding help"

Help??? With what??? Code??? You haven't posted anything. Again RTFM!!!

Seriously people. We are a nice forum, but lately I am getting sick and tired of established members taking crap from people who can't even be bothered to code a do loop with a print instruction. They can't read a page of the manual. They can't be bothered to search the codebase. They can't be bothered to try the tutorials.

It's not worth it to help these people. They just don't have what it takes. You tell them to try some things, and they snap at you like you just gave them homework over the weekend.

If you don't like to program then DON'T program.

~Zen

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 10:00
Damn straight.

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 10:26 Edited at: 7th Jun 2005 11:13
Peasant Quest style game?

Peasant Quest is a 2d point and click adventure game like sierras King Quest,Space Quest,Police Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry series not a 3d 3rd person game. Assuming the game would follow the traditional style of these point and click adventures using a look,talk,take,use and so on method of game play, your going to find yourself in for a hell of a lot of coding. The gui to pick what action will be used and deselect the action last picked alone would be a good bit of collision checking with sprites, not to mention the each room/screen would have to be coded checking collision on everything possible in the room with the multiple choices your character would have avalible. Db isn't really for 2d such as this while it could be done im not saying it can't, it would just have a extreamly long development time and tons of code. Start with pong.

Edit: Actually i was looking around and found a old disk that had the game i was working on, backup you can have a look if you want however there probablly a much easier way of doing it i just didn't know how at the time. It's not quite all i had done on the game but the last backup i had saved.

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 14:23
I'm new to DarkBasic and this forum but not to programming in Basic/QuickBasic. I'm with Zenassem and Baggers on this matter. A few days ago I saw a message in these forums somewhere where a guy basically says "I've never programmed in my life and I want to make a fps like quake."... it was pretty damn funny.

It's annoying though when somebody says that without even trying the basics or even experimenting with the code. I think it's because of our society and the "cheating" way of life of most kids today. Usually when kids buy a game the first thing they do is buy a book on how to do everything in the game BEFORE they have even taken the game home to play it. It's that way of life that makes them instantly ask for help without trying anything themselves. Finding kids that don't "cheat" is a rareity. :-(
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 19:59
Quote: " they do is buy a book on how to do everything in the game BEFORE they have even taken the game home to play it"

I can't get why people do that. Why buy the game and the book, it'll be just as fun to go on the web and watch a video of someone playing the game for you. Its more effective as you don't have to actually hold the control and its much cheaper too.

Simple... yet fun!
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 20:19
Peasent Quest, eh Kay?

I think I played on of them once. Let's see what I can remember.
Well usually.. <user has just been sued by a small mexican in a red mask with a theCheat>

Seriously though, the best place to start is planning the little features. Peasent/Kings/Space Quest are fairly simplistic games, with quite limited animation relying on pre-made scenes that fit together and scripted events.

Over all they are relatively straight forward to make, most of the effort will come from making the art tbh. Still it does require several things to be working alright at once.

I've often found the easiest way to make a game is to make smaller technology demos of what you plan to make.

If you've ever played the first Space Quest or Kings Quest (what Matt based his spoof on), then you'll notice they're slightly less complex.

- I would probably start with the text input system, allowing it to parser information.
- Perhaps move on to adding the Scene.
- Adding the Character + Movement then animation.
- Finish with collision of the scene (probably best to do it based on the Alpha channel of the onscreen colour)

After that most of the rest is a case of figuring out how to make scripted events, and changing screens.

It's more about planning and figuring out the difficult aspects then patching it all together.

ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
To start off, try reading the tutorial supplied with DB. Then perhaps you could put some little applications together to get the hang of DB.

Thomas Smith
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2005 22:14 Edited at: 7th Jun 2005 22:17
Hehehe, I think he ran away. You tell em' Zen!

Just my two cents:

- If you can't give a decent explanation of a game you're about to make, then you're obviously new to programming (as I established last night at the IRC with you), and since you're obviously new to programming, why would you start with such a complicated task? I know it's your all time dream to make the world's next Halo or Half-Life or whatever genre you want, but come on, be realistic, if you've just started out programming (I mean real programming, not just saying you've had DBP on your comp and you've been on the forums for over 3 years and just started using it now) then make a damn pong game! Goodluck

Your signature has been erased by a mod because the filesize was too large.
kaymation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 10:32
ok but my splash screens dont like working

Nytmayre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 06:40
Man, I just read through this forum, and I gotta say, it's pretty damn funny. Now I don't mean that hurtfully, because I myself am a newbie to programming (so much so, in fact, I haven't even ordered the software!) but I agree with the majority on this one. Kaymation just needs to "TRY" a little. Even though I don't have the software, I am reading the tutorials and checking the forums so I have an idea of what I am gonna do once I get it. Surely it is common sense to start small and work ur way up? I mean, already have some knowledge on programming,(perhaps more than kaymation), despite not programming even 1 line of code before.
So, kay, if there is one thing you should take back from this forum (that is if you have not ignored it completely) is that you should learn to give stuff a go, try, improve from your mistakes, take time to learn about the language, persevere, and all that other stuff.

Props to RiiDii & RUCCUS

Uh... What's the point of this bit?
Gillypie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 22:14
Yeh.

i agree with nitemare. start with the baics, i recomend making a cicle change its position to a nother random one, or even make a circle move with arow keys. making games takes a long time, and you wont get anywhere without a foundation. but then agaain, im only 12, and i don't know if i need foundations simply because of my age.
but whether or not you could make a good game as a newbie, you have to try.
kaymation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 08:24
well im 11 were probobley the youngest on the forum

i owe all my wantingness to TBC at [href]http://
www.homestarrunner.com[/href]
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 12:27
Kay I started when I was 9 and I never tried making mind blowing games in the beginning. Most of the programmers on DB are young teens, so that's no excuse at all. As stated its common sense.

Current Projects: SHADE - Game Maker | Mecho - TGC Puzzle Entry | Halo Physics Engine | COLD - Polygonal Collision Detection
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 18:12
kaymation: Stop stating your age...its against the rules also alot of us started progrmming young, I started at 7 or 8...age doesnt neccesarily mean better coder, theres guys a good few years younger than me on this forum and they are far more knowledgable

Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 21:59
Don't say that you're young, that's not an excuse. In here there's only 2 options: You wana or not be a programmer.
You think that you're youth? see this:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/232514_msftarfa14.html

I start at 13 and it wasn't a very good beguinning cause instead of learning how to make an Hello world or what variables are, i've learn how to make a matrix in DB (i find that pretty cool that time).
There're some articles that shows how to be a programmer but i thing that this is too heavy for you at your age kaymation...
http://cprogramming.com/whatdoesittake.html

here's an tutorial that shows how to plan an MMORPG. this thing includes usefull things that are not only for MMORPG's (i've learn a thing or two myself)
http://www.devmaster.net/articles/building-mmorpg/

I eally don't know if you should start in DB. Unlike RPG maker that you really only need to copy & paste things, in here you need media to your game.
I'd lie if i told you that being a programmer is easy. Only if you have a strong will you can do it. If you're that kind of ppl that give up easylly of their project, just forget about this.

Here goes my sugestion to your game:
1st - you need to make a Development document: this should include every single aspect of the game.
2nd - You need to chose what tools you gona use. Since we are at DB forum, you gona use DB. I sugest that you use DB Pro
3rd - The team. Unless you gona do all the media by yourself, you gona need a team. If you gona request something here i sugest that you have some work to show so people in here get interested and join the project.

If you need to know anything send a mail
Have a nice day

True Phantasy
kaymation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2005 02:10
@fox dark master: your right i'll have to give the download disk to my friends and we shall all help make tyhe game! i do knowe some friends that want to know 3d modeling.....

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 10:51
If youre talking about giving the disk to your friends to download it on their comps I believe that may be illegal...might wana check on that.

Available at THE BOTTOM OF EVERY DARKBASIC PAGE!!!!!!
kaymation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 09:08
ok this thread is like now piontless can someone lock/delete it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:27:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:27:37