Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Retro games compo ???!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone fancy converting some old C64/Atari 800XL games to the PC ?

I'd like to enter the compo but I only have original DB so thought about doing a "Retro Collection" for normal DB users.

I'm just getting some feedback first before I ask companies for permission for using names and gfx. Options will be available for a 3D version/view of game too so may just be enough to entice new players to old games I used to play.

Anyone fancy trying as this is for 2D games isn't it ??
I have source code for some Atari games anyway so just waiting for replies. Original 6502 source mind so I'll have to convert first into DB.

Thanks for reading,
Dave

P.S. Not related but please read. I'm in need of 4*1MB 30pin simms to get my Atari STe running. Can anyone help ?
Dragon Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't find "edit" button so here goes.

Permission needed for use of GFX and music mainly but should cause no problems really.

I would like permission first before infringing copyright as these titles created will be free. GFX will be ripped and used as textures in games so I just want to make sure it's ok with authors first.

Dave

P.S. Can moderators add an "edit" button too.. Would have saved space if I could have edited my previous message

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 21:48
I miss the Atari ST....I might remake some Atari games...
Im entering the compo and I use DB only

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2003 23:36
"Permission needed for use of GFX and music mainly but should cause no problems really." - Legally yes, but in the majority of cases no. For example, search the net or trwal magzine demo cds and you'll see many identical shareware versions of PacMan and Space Invaders for sale by bedroom programmers. Identical reamkes of games which haven't been for asle for years are not really a problem. The real rouble comes where you take a more recent game, or a character that is still being used and make NEW games...

For example a platform game where Sonic collects spliffs and robs banks would cause Sega to have a fit. However, near identical remakes of Sonic are all over the place and they don't mind. They have even granted permission for every one of their 8bit games to be released on the net for Emulation. Every single MasterSystem game for FREE http://www.smspower.org has been around for years and never shut down.

Companies such as Atari and Commodore who don't exist anymore (Atari does in name but not the actual same company) are especially un-bothered by such things. For example, every single Commodore64 game is available for free at http://c64.com and no1 bats an eyelid.

A few remakes are hardly gonna be a threat to anybody

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 02:25
I wish that was true Kanga, but a lot of companies DO protect their intellectual rights quite strongly. They might not mind their ROMs being given out for free on the 'net, but stick them on a CD and sell it and they'll have a fit. We want to feature these games on our site, they'll be seen as actively promoting our software (which in turn leads to sales for us) and on that basis alone we can't risk the problems.

Don't rip. Redraw.

Oh and Infogrames own Atari - not just the name but all the material they own and have patented over the years. That's a LOT of stuff.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2003 23:51
Oh Ok I guess if u were planning on releasing the games on a cd or something theres more agro. I know that Infogrames bought Atari - what I meant was they own the names and brands, but none of the original programming teams so the magic may well be lost in new versions I didn't know they got all the patents too tho, that could be usefull

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2003 05:45
I must have about 80 30 pin SIMS - 256K, 1MB and a few 4MB's. E-mail me at tdk_man@matedit.com.

TDK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 15:55:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 15:55:43