Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is paint a bad program to create images or textures for my games, if it is? What's best!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is paint a bad program to create images or textures for my games, if it is? What's best! For me, it's the most simple. I tried Fireworks and Photoshop and they are alittle more complicated, and Texture Maker is really confusing.

What is in your opinion the best program to produce images and textures for my game, Black Hole.

It's amazing you're reading this, surprise... you still are.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2005 00:07
It depends what textures you are trying to create, and how complex.

I would never use Paint. But if you are doing something simple like Tic Tac Toe. Paint may be sufficient.

I use about 5 different programs to get different results. Fireworks should be easy to use and get to grips with. Maybe you should pick a simple but nicely featured package, and spend time getting used to it's capabilities.

BatVink
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. Which five do you use?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2005 02:17
PhotoPlus, Corel Photopaint, DrawPlus and Corel Draw for Vector, and various other programs. I have older versions of PaintShop and others, they all have a different way of working, so you need to find the one that's right for you.

BatVink
Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Photoshop's good for complex textures

though it is expensive and tricky to get to grips with

It depends on the type of game you want to make as batvink says paint may be sufficient for 2D games, but certainly not for a 3D game

::ROCK::
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2005 07:25
what about the gimp(i think thats the name)
it is free has quite a bit of power(even though its not the most powerful and may be lacking in some areas but it is pretty good)
also i like to use flashmx 2005 probably just cause i know how to use almost everything in it though it is good at animation and making pictures if u just export as a .jpg or whatever

but anyway thats my opinions

formerly shadows of emptiness
Robot Booger
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.freebyte.com/graphicprograms/ This place has a lot of good free stuff.
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2005 14:19
VanSeam is free in the DBC showcase/applications section. Its a bit of work getting there, but its free and works well.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 9th Jun 2005 12:46
I use Paint Shop Pro but it's hard to make "seamless" textures. The one that's called "Texture Maker" seems REAL good and you can download a free trial to check it out.

http://texturemaker.thegamecreators.com/
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 05:37
I found the best way to texture is a program called Arcsoft Photo Studio. It's pretty good with textures, but I find that making your own objects and texturing them with new textures is best. Texturing someone elses object is tedious and is almost impossible.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 08:16
THere is nothing wrong with paint unless you want the computer to do all the work. you can make anything in paint if you know how to manipulate the program to do what you want.(not really manipulate, but you gotta know what to do.) If you want good stuff and you want it fast, use a professional tool that can be found on any freeware down;oading web site. i would suggest a trial version if neccessary, unless it doesn't let you save.

Here's an idea for you...
NO!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 23:07
dont forget to think laterally, POVray a free ray casting render language/engine will allow you to point a camera at a flat plain and cast effects on the 3d plains texture to produce stunning results. you could achieve this in most 3d packages as well but POVRAY has some very good commands to blend and so forth.

you could do this in DBP as well, even to the point of coding the texture as a pattern or a seamless pattern, this would save having to load media and offer protection in some layers to stealing the textures.

having said that I use Texture maker / HarmsTile / POVRAY / DigCAMERA to generate base textures and then into photoshop or I use the offset filter in photoshop and some cloning to create a seamless tile.

Ill name some very good 2d applications that are for the budget user

PIXIA (free)- interesting package, heavily based in the creation stage
Photoplus (free except if u want gif and tiff saving then it costs $2 or something)- all rounder image manipulator
Gimp (free)- unix /linux favorite
Paint.net (free)- interesting package
HarmStile (free) texture maker
Reptile (free) texture maker

PROFESSIONAL CHOICES
PAINTER - older versions are free and later versions are bundled with wacom tablets
PHOTOSHOP version5 and 6 are the best IMHO

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself &#63743;
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 23:41
Gimp is free, very powerful , and availible for Mac, Linux/Unix and Windows, try it - its a bit complicated at first, but good once you're used to it.

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! What about cropping images! Paint can't do that!
Which programs can do it really well!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2005 21:22
you can crop images with paint, just press ctrl+A, move the image to where you want it cropped to, then scale the image to crop it on the other side

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to be able to cut the image out, is it possible to crop your image like that, it doesn't always have to be square shaped?

Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
just use the free cut tool then press ctrl+x open a new image and paste it in.

The happenings of tommorow are behind us now
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2005 14:48
yea but even then the actual cut out is still square(when u save the picture) although .png and .bmp i beleive support alpha so u can find a program to change the alpha on everything but what u actually need and it will look like its not square which to the users eye it isnt

n00bs will be shot on spot...
i need some more ammo there are just too many of them better call in the moderators to help
ReneGade RG
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmmm.....I think the idea that when you load the image, a particular colour is masked.... that probably does all the cropping I need. And if one particular shade of back doesn't work, I use one that is just abit lighter and noone notices.

I worked that out all by myself ! Wow!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:24:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:24:27