Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Terrain help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 06:38 Edited at: 12th Jun 2005 06:39
I need to make a nice terrain with rolling hills. Is there a way to make the terrain more sensitive to the heightmap file, so that it has more polygons because when I use heightmaps I don't get hills like this:

which is what I'm trying to acheive. Instead my hills look all pointy. I have experimented with a couple of heightmaps and still can't acheive the effect I'm aiming for. to see what I'm talking about try this heightmap:

When I use that heightmap I don't get nice hills I get pointy ones. Is there a way to make it follow the heightmap more accuratly. If this is just a bad heightmap, can someone give me a better one to try.

By the way I have also tried stretching the heightmap to a Much larger size and I still have pointy hills.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 08:35 Edited at: 12th Jun 2005 08:39
A 512 x 512 heightmap would assist. Stretching a smaller one won't help, because you are simply making each pixel into 4 pixels, but not adding any more detail. You could stretch it and blur it, that may do the trick.

By the way, the image above is a detail map, not a height map. A height map is generally greyscale, with black being low, and white being maximum height. I don't know if this is contributing to your problem?

BatVink
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok here is a better heightmap.

try running that heightmap with this code.

use the arrow keys to walk around, and you can see my problem. when you walk around you go under the terrain sometimes. I think this is because when you use the command to get the terrain height I think it returns it's value acording to the heightmap for speed. Instead of getting the actual terrain height. I know that that heightmap is a little bumpy but at least you can see my point. When I use a larger heightmap, even without stretching it, It doesn't give me more sections on the terrain which is what I want. It just makes larger sections.

Read the help file for the "make terrain" command. At the end of the description of the heightmap it says that extra parameters control the size and detail of the terrain. I think this is what I need. I need to give my terrain more vertices, so If anyone knows what these extra parameters are please share it with me.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 12:15
Off the top of my head, I think those are the correct parameters that you'll need to tweak.

As for going under the terrain, that might just be a problem because of your mouselook and movement code. Try to take out all rotatation commands and see if that helps.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:22:42