Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / The Big Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 03:10 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2005 02:42
As a first - time buyer, I was just wondering what would be the better language to go for - DB Classic or DBPro.

Based on these factors:
- I have not programmed a single line of code bfore on my life
- I am only (edited for safety reasons) yrs old
- I have (at present) a maximum budget of £40
Any info on diffuculty to use each language, power, value for money, etc. would be greatly appriciated.

Could I have fair answers as well please - biased ones would be more of a hinderance than a help.

Thanx 4 ur time.

Dream the world is doing fine, forget the Nytmayres left behind. Nytmayre of the burning sin, nytmayres scream from you deep within.

Uh... What's the point of this bit?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 04:07 Edited at: 14th Jun 2005 04:13
If I was you I would wait till I had enough money to buy Darkbasic Pro (it's 49.99 Sterling). Why not wait to get the best version since you're so close moneywise? For me it's a question of power. Darkbasic Pro can do a lot more than Darkbasic Classic.

I just ordered Darkbasic Pro last night so some of this i'm just assuming. Since i've been playing with sprites like crazy in DBC most of my thoughts are on sprites. Having the ability to make sprites transparent is (probably) great for making shadows under other sprites. Rotating sprites is a nice option too (i'm thinking if you want to make sprite character jump back from an explosion rotating the sprite a little would look good). Having the ability to make animating sprites is an ability that makes programming much, much easyer. Darkbasic Pro also compiles in pure assembly... which would make any program you make much faster and a smaller file. The best way is to look at the Comparison Chart and use your own judgement on which is better (and take the product tour too).

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=compare
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=tour

If you bought Darkbasic Classic and love it you'll eventually regret not getting Darkbasic Pro first. Of course you could buy Classic and if you like it sell Classic to one of your friends and use that money to pay for some of Pro.

Here's some non-biased code:

Nytmayre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 04:36
Wow, that's some fancy code u got there lol

I can't thank you enough Grueslayer. That post has really opened my eyes. I was kinda favoring classic ( I figured that since it was less powerful and so on, it would be easier to get to grips with), but after reading that, i realise that pro would be the better option to go for.

I agree with everything, from the power, to the increased options, to that part at the bottom about regretting not getting it - Proffesional is just the better one to go for.

Thanks also for providing the web addresses - these will definatly come in handy when the time comes to choose between them both.

Overall, this post has been a huge, huge help to me.
You can rest easy in knowing that you have enlightened the life of a newbie programmer.

In other words, Thank you. I totally agree.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 06:46
I use Dark Basic Classic...it rules.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 07:43
Nytmayre: Please dont use these forums to host your images.
Thankyou

On the brightside, yeah if you can definately go for DBPro !

D Ogre
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with most of what Grog Grueslayer is saying about DBPRO except for the executables being smaller. I have both versions of the language. DBC actually creates smaller exes than DBPRO. This also depends on the size and composition of the program in question. The reason for this is that DBC is and interpreted language unlike DBPRO. So, every time DBC compiles and executable it creates a runtime version of the interpreter with the program source encoded and embedded. Without asking Lee how he actually setup DBC to compile, I would assume it uses some sort of tokenization for encoding the program source. To a point, it definitely does saves space.
the fake Mr T
Years of Service
User Offline
i only have dbc however i think that really you should be asking yourself some basic questions
i.e. if you get classic now, -about £10-15, how long will it be before you can get dbpro if you like classic.

or why don't you get the trial version of dbc, it's rather large and allows for alot of the programs you will be making as a complete newbie. then if you like it and have enough money get dbpro because it simply allows for much more to be created.
and games look better thanks to the later direct x version. i.e. 9.
Nytmayre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2005 02:23 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2005 02:23
just a l8r note to say thanx to all the guys who have posted. u have been a gr8 help.

heh heh heh

Dream the world is doing fine, forget the Nytmayres left behind. Nytmayre of the burning sin, nytmayres scream from you deep within.

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2005 11:02
I think it is not permitted to tell your age, can mods change his post
Nytmayre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 02:42
oops, ok I will change it now. (no-one saw it, right?)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:27:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:27:46