Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / space map?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How would one go about creating a 'space map'. Just to clear up confusion... a 3D space that would incompass spheres and junk along with a star field backround. I also would not like the user to be able to get 'lost' so how would I create like a warp system that would make the user think the world was infinitly large but in reality is just getting pushed to the oppisite side of the map... my only example I can think of would be starfox 64.
Thanks,
Christian
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 06:30
huh?

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 07:00
Start with...
Quote: "a star field backround"

I would (I did) make a huge cube (like 5000^3) and texture it with stars (basically white dots on a black background). Make sure you adjust your camera range well beyond 5000 so the background can be seen. Always position this cube at the same coordinates as your ship.

Next...
Plan out your maps (solar systems I am guessing). Maybe create a UDT array like this;

Starting with that sample code (adjusted for your needs), you can read in the system maps from a data starement, like this:

And finally, make only one map at a time around coordinates 0,0,0. You can quickly make your system as needed by using the Sys_Objects array. Start the player near 0,0,0 (but not too close to the star), maybe near one of the planets. Then the player can roam where they want. If they leave the system, they can travel pretty much any distance and will never come across another system. If they use the warp, come up with some movie or effect to show the player while you rebuild the system behind the scenes. When the system get's rebuilt, just place the player's ship somewhere appropriate, again near 0,0,0.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo
REALITY II
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Very helpfull. However the warp part is like smooth muscle it needs to be atomatic they dont get the option it just happens so they don't get 'lost'...
Thanks
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
automatic*
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 07:47
master programmer: well thats 3 or 4 posts you have posted useless **** in today please stop spamming these boards...if you have nothing reasonable to add just dont hit the post button.

Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, One more thing that my hinder this tactic... The game is going to be multiplayer... not massive but maybe 8 players... so would it be more logical to use planes instead of cubes?
Cheers,
Christian
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2005 11:07
You might be able to use a sprite, drawn first, and scroll the texture - working it like the old backdrop commands from DBC. But a real neat trick, that I have yet to see exploited in multiplayer games, is to not do exactly the same thing on each pc. An extreme example of this is to have it raining on one character and another character in the same location, has a bright and sunny day. Play with the concept and take it further, and you'll find some creative uses for that. Anyway, to your issue, only put the box around the player's ship, and not around the other ships. Make this pc specific - and works perfectly. Each player see's their skybox, not the other player's skyboxes because - well, they simply don't exist on the local pc.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo
REALITY II

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:17:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:17:57