Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a model that I created in wings 3d I have exported it to 3ds format and I can load it into my game. This is my first "big" attempt to make a network game and in all my other games the person has never actually been a model just a camera. In a net game this really doesn't work so how would I go about doing this while keeping the "view" in first person?
Thanks,
Christian
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 01:35
SET CAMERA TO FOLLOW is the easiest way. Check out the parameters in the help files, it's a very versatile command.

BatVink
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks... I haven't messed with DBPro in a year or two so I cant remember all the commands... I ought to reread a bit.
Cheers,
Christian
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
I still don't understand how to do this... I have never had to mess with camera's like this...
Cheers,
Christian
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 18:25 Edited at: 16th Jun 2005 18:27
Go to http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=55689&b=10, to view a short post, holding about nine replys with a couple of methods, with code, to have the camera follow behind an object.

+NanoBrain+
viscera eyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 12:19 Edited at: 18th Jun 2005 15:05
you want to have a camera folow an object? its actually pretty simple once you figure out how to use th command.

the x#,y#, and z# tells the camera where the position of the object is (what to follow). the a# tells the camera to be facing the same direction of the object. the d# and h# tell how far away the camera will stay from the object. and the smooth tells the camera how smooth its movement will be (a value of 0 will make its movement take effect immediately while a value of 100 will make the cameras movement very
smooth). i have absolutly no idea what the collision does but i always set it to 1 and it doenst give me an error message. just so you know, you will need to use variables because the actions that they represtent will constantly be changing. hope that helped.

ALIVE IN THE SUPERUNKNOWN!
viscera eyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 12:24
another good command that i personally like to use with the " set camera to follow" is the "point camera" command.

you can just use the x#,y#,z# variables from before. just like with the other command, these will tell the camera what to point at.

ALIVE IN THE SUPERUNKNOWN!
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much that helped alot
Cheers,
Christian
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I attempted to put in the "camera" using the ideas that superunknown 13 showed me and here is what I came up with...

For some reason the model is "sideways" and also the camera is inside the model... Also when I attempted to scale the object down it was nonexistent... Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers,
Christian

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 23:10
you fix the objects pivot by using the command fix object pivot nr

like this:
yrotate object 1,90
fix object pivot 1

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2005 23:51
Or if you wanted to have the camera stay directly behind the object at all times you could just add a limb to the object, position it behind the user and a bit above the user, position the camera at the limb, and point the camera at the user, just like the snippet in the code base and on the forums Ive posted tonnes of times yet people somehow miss it o.O

Current Projects: SHADE - Game Maker | Mecho - TGC Puzzle Entry | Halo Physics Engine | COLD - Polygonal Collision Detection
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
There still seems to be something wrong with the camera...

when I run the code the camera doesn't seem to follow the craft it seems to make it dissapear into nothing...
Thanks for all the wonderful help
Christian

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright... I did a bit of tweaking and I kinda sorta fixed the camera... but I can't seem to keep the camera at a fixed distance... or when I tell the ship to pull upward it just pulls the object not the camera as well... here is my code that I have "tweaked"

the ship is in the download button on any of the above download buttons...
Cheers,
Christian
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh I fixed it never mind...
Cheers,
Christian

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:24:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:24:27