Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Ambition Engine 1.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 23:28 Edited at: 16th Jun 2005 23:31
I am currently nearing the end of the alpha-version of my 3D game design engine, Ambition Engine 1.0. This was originally coded in the original darkbasic, i have recently upgraded to dbpro, and will have to go back and rework the code to optimize the features provided by dbro. I will also try to create a version for the original darkbasic.

Description: Ambition Engine 1.0 is a simple to use, darkbasic pro based, 3d game engine. To date the engine handles, sliding collision, camera, movement/controls, artifficial intelligence, memory cleanup, and several other features. There are several parts still in development, do to the recent upgrade to dbpro, shooting, world building, a.i. object to a.i. object interaction. These compnents should be ready relativley soon.

Ambition Engine 1.0 was designed to create an easy and simple way for people to create complex 3d programs. Because of this, the engine is not a dll, but instead, db source code that can be simply copied and pasted into your program. This releaves you of the hassles of those complex math equations and algorithms. All of this is done through functions (each and everyone will be described extensivley), which hide all of that code that you dread.

Yet, the best thing about this engine, is that it is completley modifiable, so it alows you to create virtually whatever 3d game you want! Using thie engine, you can create a 3d game level in a matter of minutes( as long as you have the media) using just a few lines of code! Thats right, you could create a level for a first-person shooter in just minutes!

The Ambition Engine is scheduled to come out this fall, for Darkbasic V. 1.12 or higher, and Darkbasic Professional. Pricing details will bee released at a later time.

Screen shots of sample programs creatded with Ambition Engine 1.0 will be coming soon.....
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 00:02
While i attempt to get some screen shots up here, i would like it if i could get some feedback on what you think of this project.

I thank you in advance!
Bestotr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 00:09 Edited at: 17th Jun 2005 00:17
screenshots first !

EDIT: But Ok ...

DB/DBPro (sounds like C/C++ ) is kind of an engine itself ....

But it does not have all the features of big engines (thats good), it can be customized in much ways .... think of a puzzlegame made with unreal 3.0-Engine .....

For very much games a LOD-Engine, good collisions , physics and much more is needed .....

So your idea is good ....

But you have to work very hard to make something that will be easy to use and very fast ... an own level-editor and good grafics should be inside too .....

Next Game: Project Domino / Fall: 16.-18. July 2005

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 01:08 Edited at: 17th Jun 2005 01:10
scrinshots plz.. (before the mod will close the post cuz no screenshots)

Edit: Feedback - after screenshots

does 1 + 1 is 11?!
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 01:46 Edited at: 17th Jun 2005 01:46
This is a screen of a demo that demo's collision. It is an early screen of my game Snow Wars: A New Snowfall.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 01:48 Edited at: 17th Jun 2005 01:50
You will have to bare with me as this website is being stubborn with the screens. It keeps failing to upload.

<I have a physics demo in a zip folder, its size is under 700kb and the website won't upload it. ???????>
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 01:56
I have tried several times to upload the DBC physics demo and it keeps brining me to a page saying

"The MySQL server had problems trying to fulfill that last query, it might be under heavy load right now or it might have been a linking/query error. It's unlikely to be anything serious so try again later, 10 minutes ought to do it. Go watch an episode of the Powerpuff Girls or something.
Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0"

Does anyone here know what that means, i would really like to get the demo up for you guys but can't because of this problem.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 03:50
That is a ludicrous number of polys in that screen shot! No wonder it is only 35fps! Sorry I can't help. I use DBSpot.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 06:26
@Andrew Neale; I have seen your work and think you r an excellent programmer. Yes about those polys, my engine can handle quite a dew polys, i have coded it so it always stays in the 33-35 range, so there is no big difference in speed.

I would like it if you guys could ask me questions about the engine, while i try to get the physics demo up(argh!!).
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 06:38 Edited at: 17th Jun 2005 06:39
If it's only 700kb, then you can attach it to your post. The engine sounds awesome. Will it be free?

[EDIT] Sorry, I just noticed you said that it was THIS website that caused the trouble

*** PANZERGAMES ***
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 06:50
The engine i am currently working on will not be free, i may however create a less-custumizable one that i may post for free.
DBAlex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 07:14
Umm how can you sell an engine that requires DBPro to run...

AMD 64 3000 + 512mb RAM + 80GB HD + Radeon 9600se 128mb
http://www.dbastudios.cjb.net
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 11:29
@DBalex: the advanced version will require dbpro inorder to allow custimization. There might be a less-advanced and stand-alone executable that will not allow for custimizablity.

Are there any more thoughts on the engine or how i can upload a physics demo?
FakeBlood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 12:31
NGC,3ds max plugins etc all require the program they were written for to run and they are all sold. Doesn't seem like much of an issue there to me. Dunno if I'd be a buyer just yet but if you stick with this and make it GOOD then it would be well worth paying for. Best of luck to ya!
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 22:28
To ensure that you guys understand what this engine is, i will describe it some more.

This engine will simply make it easier to make a game using darkbasic, or dbpro. Everything for this engine has been programmed within dbpro. THIS IS NOT A DLL This is a set of dozens of functions to make your game-making career easier.

For example:

make_badguy(1,3,100,2000,1500,4,500,15,423,0,90,0)

this command would creat a badguy using model #1(1), would give him weapon #3(3), give him a starting health of 100(100), let him hear things up to 2000 units away(2000), let him see things up to 1500 units away(1500), tell him to use waypoint set #4(4), then would position him on the x,y,z axis at 500,15,423(500,15,423), and then would rotate him 90 degrees on the y-axis(0,90,0). This command could be added to or taken away from with relative ease.

The only real work that you would have to do, is to create your media for the game. All in all, these commands provide the neccessary building blocks for any block-buster computer game.
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 22:33 Edited at: 17th Jun 2005 22:35
Yes, but if you do not have DBP, then the games you can create will be very limited to the functions you have already made; what if I want to make an RTS, and I want a bad guy? (3dGameMaker.....)

Also;
Quote: "@Andrew Neale; I have seen your work and think you r an excellent programmer. Yes about those polys, my engine can handle quite a dew polys, i have coded it so it always stays in the 33-35 range, so there is no big difference in speed.
"

If its made in DBP/DBC, that it shall be no different from the way DBP/DBC handles polies; its not technically your engine; its just an engine on top of another engine

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 00:44
Quote: "@Andrew Neale; I have seen your work and think you r an excellent programmer."

You're making me blush!
This does sound like it could be useful to fairly-new-comers.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 02:26
Something like this would be best supplied with an editor - like instead of calling the function directly with code, you could make a simple script system to add bad guys etc, and allow people to make scenes and add all the stuff they need. The actual handling of loading and positioning models is quite a big hurdle for most people, so if you can eleviate the pain of that then selling your engine will be a lot easier.

It's worth stating that you should'nt rely on making a lot of money with just functions, I'm not trying to put it down - it's just that most people won't pay for this sorta stuff. Using it to quickly produce your own games and making them shareware might be more lucrative.

One thing you could look into is Machinima, like making movies using game engines, cutscenes that blend right into the game would be a great selling point - but there's a whole other market of people looking to make their own standalone movies in 3D.

Van-B

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 03:37
Please, not that stupid snowman thing again...

wasen't the last thread enough?

It's M-E-G-A-T-O-N. NOT MEGATRON.
DON'T MAKE ME GET THE RABBIT.
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 04:31
Thank you Van B for your suggestions, i would like to make a nice editor for it, but frankly, i am not quite sure how to do that.

@megatron catwoman- I have delt with your comments long enough, i am asking for constructive criticism, not idiotic comments made by someone who couldn't program anything more than "hello-world". Please only post if you have something worth posting.

@David R, i have programmed a system to handle object not in veiw so that i am ablt ot have more objecvs onscreen at once.

To evryone: I am now considering, as i look on this thread, that i may trun this into a semi-open source project for select people(i.e. andrew neal and other helpful people)(excluding megatron catwoman). To make some nice material as to help noobs, and maybe, even some more advanced users. I would please like some input on this from anyone who may want to be invloved on ths.

p.s. constructive criticism only please
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 04:49 Edited at: 18th Jun 2005 05:47
TDP Enterprises: Bad move boy... Asking someone to stop posting rubbish is one thing but to try to flame them, especially if they are a respected member, is stupider than swatting flies off your face with a sledge-hammer.
I personally there is some point in his very unsubtle thread.
What’s new?...You have shown exactly the same pics as in your snow-wars thread. There is nothing to support your claims of this engine.
You post an old pic and say its showing collision...with what exactly...not that fps eating snow surely...but there’s nothing else in the scene other than a gun made of ice.

So I think Megaton has a point for now...so stop slagging people off and show some progress.
And don’t even try that "that wasn’t productive" crap with me sonny, I think I kept a very good and analytical temperament though this whole post and eagerly await some real progress. You’re still young on these forums; don’t ruin your name so soon.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 06:36
VanB + Megaton + Baggers are all correct in their own forms of polite-ivity. All I'm going to say is you have bad reputation and expect to make money from something that could be easily coded.

Matt

God nobody reads signatures nowadays.
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 07:03
Well, i will no longer post in WIP. The next time that you hear about one of my products from me will be when it's for sale.

Good day gentlemen...
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2005 07:42 Edited at: 18th Jun 2005 08:24
Not to kick you bellow the belt or anything, but I think you should take Bagger's advice seeing as he was once a newcomer just like you & I but eventually became a productive and talented coder, as has indeed done some truly brilliant work with his respected JJR project.

I mean you started a new thread but did not progress any further in the actual project. That's all I want to say.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 19:10
TDP Enterprises:
Ambition Engine 1.0?? And what diference is from another engines from dbpro ? what can do speacial ? :o)

Quote: "This engine will simply make it easier to make a game using darkbasic, or dbpro."

I think, This is not engine :o) DBpro is engine.

Quote: "Everything for this engine has been programmed within dbpro"

What language? Isnt this DLL ?

I think, DBpro is VERY VERY easy :o) so, what you have to do this? and for money :o)))

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.

☺☺ AthlonXP 2500+, Ati Radeon 9600 128MB, dualDDR 512MB 400Mhz CL3.0, SB LIVE!, monitor 19" ☺☺
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 19:17
I'd call this a function library or something.

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 22:02
@general: It was a bit nasty just to bump this in order to flame.

Shame on you.

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
DBAlex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 01:12
Yeah this has been dead for ages...

He even said he isnt doing the Ambition Engine anyway... So your flame was useless...

AMD 64 3000 + 512mb RAM + 80GB HD + Radeon 9600se 128mb
http://www.dbastudios.cjb.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:35:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:35:09