Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / music and graphics file sizes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2005 23:16
hi there everybody

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a little quiry I have :

my quiry is when using music,graphics files in your games,demos etc which are the best to use so that after you've compiled it in dbpro it is relatively a small size file eg :

music files :mp3,wma? (which is best)
graphics files : dds,jpeg,bmp,tga,png,dib? (which is best)

any help would be much appreciated

octave
dre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2005 16:11 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2005 16:12
If you're talking about putting your media into the exe then all you have to worry about is the filesizes. If formats even have any effect on compression, you probably wont notice a difference. I don't think you have to worry about sizes and types of media because it's more important how you use them. For example, if you distribute a game with mp3 music, it'll sound roughly the same, but if you use midi, your sizes will get smaller, but the music might sound different, or worse, not work at all on different systems, depending which hardware they have. My points are: use the media that you need and I don't think file types will matter in compression.

Athlon 64 X2 4400+, nForce 4 Ultra chipset, 1 gig ddr400 d-channel,Radeon X850XT PE PCI-E,2 WD 74 gig Raptors in RAID
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2005 07:32
Also bear in mind, that although you will save space in your program file by compressing pictures to, say, jpg format, you will slow down your program, as it has to convert them into bmp format anyway. Try loading twenty big jpg's compared to 20 big bmp's and you'll notice a big difference in speed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 21:28:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 21:28:46