Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Will someone please explain what exactly UV mapping is/does?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 07:46
I've looked at UV mapping utilities all over then net, but I don't understand what they are/do. In some ways the UV mapping process appears similar to texturing a model, but i'm not sure if the two concepts are completely synonymous or not.

Sorry to ask a question without anything to offer the forums. I'm very new to DBPro, but will definitely share any knowledge that I can when I am able. Thank you.

DBPro User
PC: WinME, 80gb HD, Nvidia GeForce TI4800 SE (128mb onboard RAM), 512mn DDR400 RAM. Thank you for your help.
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2005 09:29
Null,

Yes, UV mapping is one method of texturing an object, though there are several ways. For examples, cubical and spherical mapping, and reflection mapping. Let's say that you have a drawing area of 300 by 300 pixels. Let's also say that yo have an image within that drawing area, which has larger dimensions, as for the whole picture not to be shown at any given time. UV mapping is similar to moving that picture around with the mouse. The drawing area would represent a plain in the 3D world.

Below is a good website which uses Java3D to visually explain a few methods(the maths) of texture mapping.

+NanoBrain+
Gyrich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 06:31
Thank you very much! I sort of understand what you said about UV mapping in terms of the example you gave; does it mean that the purpose (or at least one of the purposes) of UV mapping is to move the texture around on an object so that a given area of the texture can be seen?

Sorry if I goofed it up lol. Also I wasn't able to find the Java3D website that you spoke of on the bottom of your post. Any help is always appreciated

DBPro User
PC: WinME, 80gb HD, Nvidia GeForce TI4800 SE (128mb onboard RAM), 512mn DDR400 RAM. Thank you for your help.
Gyrich
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 06:47
Could use a lil clarification in the form of an answer to my above question, if possible. Thank you for your time.

DBPro User

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:30:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:30:43