Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Question on Darkbase & DarkBasic Pro, 2d Sprite

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 08:40
Hope this works, been trying to post for a while. Not getting a error message telling why the post don't go through.... Discovered there is a Forum Profile option. ggrrr. 1st posting.

Now back to the questions that I have (beging the retyping)

Background: I have worked with C++ and Basic before (well basic from the c64 days). Was surprised how easy it was to slip back to coding. Most of my schooling is with "how to do" books.

System: I am running a 1.6ghz Athlon chip set on a Windows XP pro with a gig of memory and a Nivdia FX5200 card with 64megs memory.

Software: I am on the evaluation period for both DarkBasic Classic and Darkbasic Pro.

Question: I spent about 2 days fiddling around a Lander Program I wrote up (it's about 80%) complete, was just adding in extras. It's a 2d Sprite based application. I wrote it orginaly with the Darkbasic Classic. The program compiles and runs at a resonable speed. Then I saw I could try the Pro version out. Now I got the Pro version and the got the program to compile, with some alterations. The exicuted version crawls with the pro version. I was using the 800x600 screen mode in both versions.

Assumtions, it could be just the simple fact that parts of the compiler have some crippled aspects that could be causing the slow down. Then again I am not for sure.

Now I am not looking for somebody to show me how to do this. Just gota few questions. (plenty of examples). I am sure as I go through this, optinmization will become more and more easier. For the most part this is a new set of libraries for me and a compiler. Learning the ends and out of it will be fun.

Now if you really want I can get the code and post it.

~Timidon

There are many answers but just one question" ~ Jerilith the Mad
gpex
Years of Service
User Offline
well, since nobody has replied yet...i'll give it a shot. I dont know much about DBpro but the only thing i would check is when you sync. Thats all i've got.

-gpex-

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it is larger than 600x120...
Colin Hart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 23:31
Sync is a good Start. Good day by the way.

If you can post your code it would really help everyone see any errors ect... You see without knowing that we can not really help you. The people on here a good, they don't normally answer the question straight, but tend to hint in the general direction. Then you can solve it your self and learn from it.

Post the code and more people will probably give you a hand..

Regards

Colin.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 02:00
There are some commands in Pro that cause massive slow down - like if you change text size every loop, change ink colour every loop. Get Image command too, and maybe a couple of others.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 05:17
Yes, I understand. I have been using the product only for a bit. Sync does slow things down allot.

This as I said is about 80% done. without the rest of the bit maps of course it won't run.

This is the pro code

The funny thing is I get a few sprites stuck at the top..

Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 05:22
Though I have noticed text just placed onto the screen with the PRINT statement really slows things down and I am learning more.

Here's another question?

My expereince with 3d is limited to messing with the Torque engine (built a few models, textured them and placed them in the game).

I think I will try a stab at the 3d aspect of the engine. Can I texture a cube with a image and move it kinda like the sprites, collision dections and the like? Would that run smoother I wonder.

Well I am sure I got a bunch of bugs to sort out.
~Timidon

gpex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Error obtaining Source Code, invalid ID. Sorry but I've given up."

the newcomers error strikes again. Post your code inside the code tabs. Then we will be able to see it.

-gpex-

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it is larger than 600x120...
Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 13:31
I understand now. the place in the message form for code does not work so well

so use the "Code" tab on top.

Alright. Well some of the question I asked. Looks like I have solved a bit.

Working on my 2nd program now. A space invader type game.

Got it to shoot, return fire. move across the screen, though I am using the DBasic Classic.

I will be working up little test games for the next couple of weeks, just to see what I can do with it.

I did run into a strange problem with the sprite collision. DBasic did not like to destroy and create allot of sprites.. After the first collision with a particular object it seemed to want to ignor the sprite... just hid the sprite and moved it off screen then called it again seemed to clear that up.

But from the general gist of from what I am seeing a few routines cause DbasicPro to slow down a bit more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:28:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:28:36