Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help! My Game Test Runs to a black screen!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 03:21
When I test run my game it comes up to a black screen for a few seconds, then closes itself out and brings me right back to the main editor...HELP! I've tried taking out some of my more messer code leaving the main source file a skeleton to make sure it didnt have any built in errors, but I get the same effect. And I do uderstand I just typed a really BIG run-on sentence!

Anybody got any Ideas on how to fix this?
"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
madboy
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a similer problem but I don't have a 3D card. When I tested db in other pc with 3D card it run fine. May be you should install directx8.1 or better properly. You should first uninstall directx driver with and directx uninstaller only available from web. So search! good luck!

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 14:49
Have you tried to add print statments followed by a wait key command at certain points in the start of the code to see if it is a command somewhere in the program that causes it to shut down? I.e. have something like

PRINT "Start"
WAIT KEY

at the very top of the program to make sure its actually starting up then put more of them throughout the first parts of the program till it quits out again and you'll have a better idea about what is causing it.

If you are using DBPro then maybe try the single step run and see what line of code it bugs out on.

Jas
Archon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 15:20
it also can be that you have forgot sync.. if it is 3D game then you need sync.. in my computer if there is no sync it will show a black screen and quits the program.. hope this works

"death is my meat; terror is my wine"
-Asdrubael vect of the Black heart
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 20:46
Blimey Jasuk70! Your a genius!!! Bless you child!!!
I had tried the :

Print "Right here idiot!!"
Wait Key

Thing but no change, and well the step throught thing bogged on the line were I load a 1x1 sprite... After I took the line out it worked! What I'm making is the basis for my Inventory Menu. I was using the 1x1 sprite to detect Sprite Collision so I could know what Item was activated then change its variables as neccesarry. Sorta like a Diablo II style, However You enitre party has 5 screens each with a 5x9 grid.

Thanks

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 01:49
1x1??? That a single pixel!!! The dot on this 'i' is one pixel.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 02:25:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 02:25:48