Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to start on games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 05:55
I mean this. I want to know what to do first: Make media, or program. I normally wouldnt ask this on on-line coding, but I am worried that adding all the pictures, and animations will just make my coding longer. I know how to do pong and stuff but look at it: No media needed. I am creating a Turn Based Strategy (Think Space Empires 4/5), and I have started coding non media things (AI, Events, and Event Handlers) and it is easy. I just dont want to get into media making untill I have advice.
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 06:25
You program everything first if your a strong programmer. Instead of a person use a cone, instead of a house, use a giant cube, etc... Until the game is fully working with dumb substitution object, then switch them all with real good models.

Don't look at me like that!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2005 06:28
If the system is going to need media in the end, then it is best to create placeholders, temporary media that you will replace when there is not much programming left to do. The only reason I say this is incase your game design changes and the media becomes redundent in your new design, then you've wasted a lot of time making useless media. If you are sure the media will be used, then you can put it in at whatever stage .

More tea Vicar?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 00:36
If you create the media first, work really hard at making it all look good, and then when the media is done get out of the mood of programming like a lot of people do, then you've wasted your time.

But if you have all the code done, then youre inspired to make the media to finish the game up, and since media isnt the hardest thing to do its a nice finisher to a hard worked game.

Start with the programming first....if you havent done that aleady.

Current Projects: SHADE - Game Maker | Mecho - TGC Puzzle Entry | Halo Physics Engine | COLD - Polygonal Collision Detection
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
The code usually defines what media you will need work hard on your engine.

The admiral
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 19:39
thanks. I am inspired to start more things..I might post in wip in 3/4 weeks when I can start basic media.
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2005 01:34
Create media, gather media, program, test your game,show it off, and release.

That's what pros do.

Working On Azure Destiny 2D RPG Game.
Founder and CEO Of Magick Software.
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 03:17
This should have been locked.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 04:54
Quote: " This should have been locked."

Why? He asked a perfectly legitemate question. Just because you get it and he doesn't, doesn't mean it should be locked.

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 11:49
Careful with placeholders though, they can give you a false impression of final framerate.
For example, if a character in the game is going to have 1200 polys, 50 animation frames and a 512x512 texture, then instead of using a primitive for a placeholder, make a realy quick crude crappy placeholder in your modeling program making sure it has 1200 polys 50 frameas of animation and a 512x512 texture. A cube for body, sphere for head,cylinder arms and legs, sub-divide couple of times. You can make one in less than 10 minutes, then when programming you'll be able to keep a realistic track of your framerate.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 02:16
cool thanks

whatever you do..SPAM THIS SITE

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 07:32:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 07:32:09