Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DarkBlue Beta - A DBPro IDE w/source

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 09:21 Edited at: 27th Jul 2005 09:22
Thanks. That's quite interesting. I'm almost far enough for a WIP post - about how far yours was when you first posted. I've just got a few things to fix up, and then I'll start it's own thread.

I hope we can work together on these - help provide better IDEs for the community.

-Xol

Ion Extension: 46 DBp functions: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57481&b=1
IonRay IDE for DBPro in progress
Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 11:41
Keaz, I've got a WIP thread up for IonRay IDE:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57888&b=8

There are 3 screenshots at that thread, the last of which you've seen.

-Xol

Ion Extension: 46 DBp functions: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57481&b=1
Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 22:19 Edited at: 27th Jul 2005 22:31
Keaz, fixed the source file size problem - see your thread about BlueGUI limitations:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57834&b=18
!

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 22:44 Edited at: 28th Jul 2005 03:57
Thx for your efforts I didn't know about the space$() command or I would have use it sooner.

[Edit] I was using loops to generate large strings.

Breaking Stuff=Fun!,Bug Testing<>Fun!, Bug Testing=Breaking Stuff, so...
Bug Testing=Fun! Hmmmm....
DOES NOT COMPUTE! SYSTEM MALFUNTION!
Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 23:24
You're welcome - I'm glad that the max character limit is changeable.

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 05:07
Version .2c has been posted.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 05:27 Edited at: 28th Jul 2005 05:27
Nice work, Keaz!

I've now implemented the size fix in my code, but the startup times have rose from 2-3 secs to 21-22 seconds (I have the size limit set to 1 MB, and 6 edit boxes are created)

(P.S. You should probably update the link in your first post for first-timers)

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 05:42 Edited at: 28th Jul 2005 05:53
Thx. My startup time is still 2-3 secs.. and 99 boxes created even with 128k size.

[edit]I lied. I'm using a 1 Mb buffer. Yet less than 10Mb of memory used interesting ehh...

This should help you Xolo:
I don't buffer the editbox until I need it when I load a file and then only for the edit box being used.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 05:56 Edited at: 28th Jul 2005 06:29
Odd, your times would make sense, if you also made 6 edits:

(I turned on always active+sync for improvement of 1 sec over before)

Perhaps the edit creation time increases exponentially (or you have a supercomputer )

I'll see what I get at 128 KBs
[EDIT] Wow, .4 seconds! - When I increase my edits to 99, I still get under a second with 128 KBs! odd indeed... [/EDIT]

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 06:19 Edited at: 28th Jul 2005 06:22
Did you see my edit to my post. I was mistaken and actually I use a 1Mb but I only alocate it when a gadet either a)recieves outside text from a load or b) recieves it's first edit. Less startup code and it's not noticeable for only one source file at load, plus it keeps down memory resource usage. P.S. How is your memory usage doing? Have you finished your loading code yet?

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 06:36 Edited at: 28th Jul 2005 06:38
Didn't see that, thanks.
Yes, I understand - you buffer them on the fly when their needed. IonRay buffers them all at startup because it only accepts 6 editable source files, all of which are standard and allways-present (helps structure code, and it's much easier to make ).

My memory usage is at 22 MBs. Probably will increase to around 25 when the program is finished. This is with 1 MB per source file edit box.

Thanks to you're lowering CPU thread, it uses only 1-6% of the CPU . It runns so silently (no Original editor slowdown) that I often forget it's there and crash everything by compiling while it's open .

Haven't actually worked on the loading code yet, but I have some functions. Today I'm trying to finish all of the GUI (a few project boxes are missing, and maybe the edit for the help tab - I use tabs for everything because when I planned this it would have less of a problem with wordwrap.

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 06:45
My me usage with mine is 14.6Mb max with 6 sources open. I've included code to allow up to 99. I will likely make that a user preference for faster startup and lower resource usage and eventually I will make it dynamic to allow virtually unlimited sources. I've got a ton of work to do. Well I'm logging of the net 'till later this evening to go code some more.

Cryptoman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 00:03
Keaz,

Whats with the slow start up?

Also I tried the richedit control and it became a real pain to highlight syntax. I wrote my own edit routine with darkbasic tricks, which was a little faster, then I found scintilla.

Just wondering how you are going to Get 'R Done with richedit? As I found it to be too much of a pain.

Thanks.

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 01:12
I haven't gotten to syntax highlighting yet and I've changed a few things for faster startup on slow computers. The buffer (max file size) and max files open will eventually be dynamic(initially 33k and 1 respectively). For now I've just tried to give them reasonable values which are 128k(about 4000 lines) and 9 files (36,000 lines total).

BTW How slo is it starting on your system crypto?

Cryptoman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 01:31
It takes about 10-15 seconds for the gui to show.

On my editor I used dynamic buffering. I just stayed 10k above what was needed at the time. Although I don't have a real gui yet, I have worked out loading, savinig and sytax highlighting.

Although the project was put away and is a real skeleton trial and error mess, I may have some useful info for you. I also wrote some dll's to prevent directx from starting which nails down resource hogging. Running directx in your editor is really going to kill your compiled pro program. The two X's will fight to no end even if your editor is just sitting in the background. You may contact me on yahoo or msn.

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 02:28
Thx Crypto. However....

Latest news is:
After much though I'm thinking of semi restarting this project. I plan on using the standard windows DLL's instead of BlueGUI. This should make the project available to all DBPro users. This however means a lot more work. I'm going to work with the idea for a couple days. If it turns out I think I can do it then. I will post my current source and anyone can take over this project until the new one is announced.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 15:40 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 15:41
Keaz, I've done so much yesterday, but my DNS never updated so I couldn't post !
I've fixed the buffer problem entirely - without slow startup and without huge RAM space cloggage! I've also found how to change the background color of a RichEdit!

OK, for these all I request is a good place in the credits, and if DarkBlue ever becomes the 'Official' IDE, I'd like to be part of the development team.

Here they are:

The buffer one should fix the slow startup.
I've got some more, but they are too beta to release them yet (Ex: Multiple undo/redos, line numbering help.

As to your last post, I've done quite a lot of calling the win32 API from DBpro, and would be happy to help. I've even got background in enumerated types (ughh, but I CAN use them ) My editor isn't very far yet, maybe we should start this together (you get to choose the name)? - It's probably better to both work on one rather than semi-compete and thus slow down development.

After reading this, I've decided to show you my other routines:

As you can tell, I have good experience with win32 GUIs, and I've looked into making some of the gadgets from it. It's really not so bad

I hope that we can develop one superb IDE together (if you'd be using the winAPI, one person isn't quite enough )

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 15:52
I am going to use the winAPI and I think it's best you continue your development on your IDE. It would make it easier if we were both using an IM. You can e-mail it to me if you don't want to make it public.

First off I'm learning to handle all the windows messages. Then I'll work on gadet creation. My goal is a function list like the ion one that includes most of the API functions as DBPro functions. I will add functions like yours for sending messages later. After I feel I've learned enough about it I will translate my code from blueGUI to native API calls. I'm trying to remove the necessity of the end user from need any commercial DLLs in order to compile the code. I'm also going to heavily comment the function list with syntax.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 16:11 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 16:12
Alright I didn't notice this post because I've been so busy in your thread on getting windows messages.

I'll still work on IonRay with BlueGUI, at least for a while. If you are making those functions, perhaps we could combine all of the Ion ones and yours into one set. My eventual goal fo rIonRay IDE is to have it make those functions that either should be in DBpro or help in making an application included in the langauage - if the user calls a function, then my IDE will put it at the end of their source code

My IDE is so small because it doesn't call any 3D that I'll probably be fine just releasing the compiled version that has BlueGUI.

-Xol

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 17:09
Keaz, as you are remaking most of the code, could you maybe post the code from before - anything would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

-Xol

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 17:46
Cryptoman,
if you could give a link to your dlls, it would be nice. Keaz and I have already sorted most of the DirectX problem out - both editors run at about 4% CPU. However, DirectX is still included because of the text commands ('left$(', 'mid$('...) in my IDE, so your DLLs might still be useful

Thanks,
-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 17:46
I will post the original project later today. Then I will update the first message in this thread. I plan on redoing the code sans Blue then I will post the new Beta at that point.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 18:21
Thanks The dicision to do it all in winAPI is bold, but a good idea I'm still not sure if IonRay will be open source or not, and BlueGUI works well enough for me now - it spares me some memblock use.

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 18:47
As you said memblocks aren't entire necessary with make memory. I'm going to experiment with that next. I didn't want memblocks and if it does provide a way around then great.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 21:05
I think it does provide another way, although a more complicated one. Also, these commands are in the core set, so they don't increase EXE size at all!

-Xol

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 04:20 Edited at: 30th Jul 2005 04:21
Keaz, could you please post the source, it would be very helpful to me . Just attaching it to your post would be great.

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 04:29 Edited at: 30th Jul 2005 04:31
Well here it is. I put the source the resource and the project file in the compressed file. I hope it help Xolo.

P.S. A mod may lock this thread as I won't be updating it.

However watch for my new IDE project that will be sans BlueGUI, so all can contribute. Until then check out Xolotron's project Ion Ray IDE. It should serve as an iterm until then and is progressing nicely.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 04:58 Edited at: 30th Jul 2005 05:08
Thank you so much, Keaz, looks like it will be a great help (loading esp.).

-Xol

Cryptoman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 05:47 Edited at: 30th Jul 2005 05:51
I'll post the text remake. You have to move dbprotextdebug and dbprosystemdebug from the compiler area. I don't remember if I finished the dbprosystemdebug, so I don't think you can use memblocks, as it will start directx also.

Download box.

Edit: If I remeber text commands and call dll's are in that dll, no memblocks. The call dll must send all required arguments! If an api requires 5 variables send them all even if they are a null.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 15:43
@Crypto
I think you posted this in the wrong space.

Cryptoman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 19:32
Xolatron asked for a link, so I posted a download for him. Sorry dude.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 20:11
Thanks, Cryptoman -- I'll look at it; Sorry Keaz.

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 20:52
Oh well it doesn't matter this is a dead thread now anyway.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2005 01:51
Keaz, sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I can't find a WIP for your new IDE, so I'll post this here.

There are some undocumented commands in DBpro that have most of the functionality of IanM's string search (not to discredit IanM - his code is quite good). See Undocumented Commands List

-Xol

Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2005 02:31 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2005 02:31
I understand that and I haven't made a new WIP yet. The name will be Aquilus, but there won't be a WIP until I get most of the API commands fully functioning. Then I will make a new and post the API includes and actually begin the new IDE with the GUI in place. I've also decided to use rebars for the menus. I've still got more work to finish before the API is anywhere near compelete.

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2005 03:02
Yes, I understand - great work, keep at it !

-Xol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:28:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:28:14