Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Apple Users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, am new to using DarkBASIC (on my Windows machine) but is there any way you can create game files that are .dmg, rather than .exe (i.e Mac compatible)?
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 09:41
No, i think they said Dark Basic isnt Mac compatible
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2005 10:22
killer kabbage,

Go to http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=contact_orders for technical assistance.

+NanoBrain+
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 11:34
Mac OS doesn't support DirectX and therefore not Darkbasic.

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 13:00
And in addition to that there is no way that there ever would be a Mac version since 1, Mac only owns about 2% of the market. 2, It would require the developers to learn open GL and that is a lot different than accessing DirectX

I have know idea what sflm stands for
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 22:32
you could try these examples below

[1]
install virtual pc on a serious grunt mac with a decent video card and win98se or win2k /XP installed with directx.

[2]
wait for the darwine project to be more compatible with its port of emulating windows on the mac os x environment.

[3]
there are some projects on the internet that will take c++ direct x code and do a rough conversion of it to opengl, these programs would take a lot of knowledge in both 3d rendering methods for any real success, you could then recompile it on mac with xtools or metrowerks.

[4]
beg lee to export your final darkbasic syntax into C++ or find someone who has a similar tool and recompile the code to openGL by hand

[5]
port your project to java so compiling for both machines is relatively straight forward.
but there is issues with each language if you access the languages
http://www.starfireresearch.com/services/java3d/java3d-OpenGLvsDirectX.html

[6]
using X11 and wine to emulate windows but it would be safer and less mind boggling to wait for the darwine project above.

[7]
REALBASIC looks like a good cross platform package but i think its lacks a real 3d engine so you would have to create your own and that can get messy inside another language thats not closer to machine code etc..

[8]
METALBASIC is a free mac basic game creation language you can try for 2d based games but you have to write your own 3d engine, its really good for accessing quicktime components and mac based features within the languages native syntax. you could also wait for the the newer version of metal.

[9]
here is something i just found but havent tested
http://www.v3x.net/directx/

[*]
this is a good real world article regarding someone who has been through the process of porting over

http://www.altsoftware.com/company/media_center/presentations/mac-os-game-porting.pdf

[*]

oblivion a guru coder from way back, had an example of using darkbasic but using opengl, unfortunately this doesnt escape the requirement of directx

for me im waiting for darwine to shape up as i have other stuff to do before i die

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried VPC on my mac and VPC will not allow you to run the progs... It will only allow you to code them (that puts DBPro as a nice fancy looking notepad on your mac ) I would wait until apple puts the intel stuff into the mac then (hopefully) you wont need to emulate windows you can just load it onto it. That may be a long shot but thats about your only option...
Cheers,
Christian
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 14:18
hmmm yes vpc has some problem with not liking to run most dbp apps(besides maybe a simple hello world since it doesnt use dx9c)

i always get a "display nto supported" error even when i dont set the display if i use any 3-d even though vpc will work with 1024,768,32 with dx9c installed

n00bs will be shot on spot...
i need some more ammo there are just too many of them better call in the moderators to help
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 12:22
yeah im reading that around the internet with vpc 7 and dx9, thats a real shame, i thought that would of least given you a way to sample the exe via a mac. hurry up darwine

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2005 20:19
The Wine developers are starting to work on DirectX now, too, but it's nowhere near complete yet. (Although WineX (which ISN'T free) is supposed to be able to run even the more advanced games.)

Wine managed to install my copy of DBC no problem, but when I tried to run the actual program... Well...

You know that stupid screen you get first time round saying what 'features' your video card 'supports', and 'Press any key to continue?'.

Well, it created a black hole in my desktop that Xkill couldn't. Kill. Ahem.

How's my typing? Phone 0800-GO-TO-HELL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:28:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:28:59