Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Large Wall Segment

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2005 15:48
Large Wall FPS.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a windows or hole in a wall segment?

Not a room just, a wall segment.

I just get the frame and not the window or the actual hole.

Tschwarz
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2005 22:48
In the EA version there is a problem with the single large wall object. Trying to place a window in that may have unpredictable results.

You would be best making your own wall segment I would think from copies of a room segment and then edit the script to just have the walls or single wall if thats necessary - then cut your hole/place your window in that.

If you use a true window segment then thats what you should end up with - whole/frame and glass - If you dont then something is obviously amiss - check to see that everything is available in the correct locations as specified in the window script file.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2005 02:42
uman, Thanks for your response. I assume like you said that there is a problem with single wall segments in EA. The image shows what I get when trying to place a window in a single wall segment.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2005 14:36
I'm 99.9 percent sure it's a segment,

The wall is located in the segment directory
Files\segments\scifi\scenery\wall large
I just changed the texture. It does the same with the orignial.

The window is a large window in the same directory.

If I create a room segment in the segment editor it all works fine
except it puts a floor in. By using the wall large segment I don't
have to worry about matching floors.

I'm just not sure if this is by design, a bug or I'm missing something.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 09:08
It has been confirmed in the past by Lee that there is a problem with the large wall segment and it was promised that we should see a new single wall segment included in FPSC at some stage - hopefully in V1. In my experience using the current one and I only did so once it is unstable to say the least.

I set in game external perimiter walls for instance i.e. single walls. As if making a normal segment and just placing Walls from it where needed, either with attached floor section or not depending on requirement. Of course if you have used FPSC extensively you will know that there are texture inheritance problems so it can be very difficult to achieve your objectives this way - touching wall/floor segments insisting on inheriting a neighbouring segments texture when you dont want it too. This has been well documented at the forum previously. In most instances it can be worked around if you continually delete and replace segments in a certain order of placement - though its a pain where you have extensive wall/rooms segments touching, particularly when you have differing textures on every surface of internal/external faces of walls/floors and ceilings.

What is needed, indeed is an actual stable default single wall segment that can be placed with the engine recognising that it is just that - an idividual single wall piece that is divorced from and should not inherit any texture from elsewhere. (any adjoining or touching segment texture).

To achieve this perfectly currently the only way to do this is to place a wall as an entity.

If you want a specific window in a wall you could even make an entity with the correct size opening for your window and then drop an FPSC default window into it or make your own window entity either as part of the wall or as a separate window entity.

I tried that method and changed to making up my own "Master" Window segment in a modeller based on a default window. This can be placed complete with frame and glass into any wall/room segment. Take it from me this is a better method than using entities and as a result of creating a Master window segment - I now have a template which I can quickly modify in my modeller (Simply by adjusting vertex positions) to make up a window of any size or proportion to suit varying locations. Well worth the effort. This a godsend as default FPSC windows do not give you much choice as to size, proportion or how they look in situ.

You should also note that when placing windows in FPSC that even when they are placed in normal room segment walls you will sometinmmes find that when placing multiple windows and then running your game some of them may have glass and in others the glass seems to be missing - If this happens note which ones have glass in them - just return to the editor and check the windows properties in editor - just by looking at the render shroud over the windows in editor will show you what the problem is if that happens. Some are dynamic, some not - adjust accordingly to fix.

Hope that helps
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 11:32
uman,
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, I agree entities would not be the ideal way for placing walls..way to tedious.

Since I really just started to learn how to model, making a window would be a good choice. When learning I'd rather make something I could use.

I have seen the missing glass only once and deleting the window and putting it back seemed to fix it.

All in all for a pre-release FPSC works quite well and all I can do is wait to see what the finished product does or doesn't do better.

I looked at your website and it appears to me you are not lacking in artistic abilities but, I have made some ground textures (beach/sand). If you could use them you are more than welcome to them. Just let me know.

Again, thank you for your time responding and yes it does help.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 11:32
Merranvo,

I downloaded your wall segments to take a look.
The walls still have the same problem where as you
cannot use windows, doors, holes...
I have created several walls using wall.x and obstacle.x
They do work great for enhancing rooms but, so far I can
only leave a wall segment blank for a staircase opening.

In order to use windows I have to create a room in the segment
editor which causes the floor problem.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 13:43
Quote: "By floor problem you mean that you can't place floor under the segment right? That is what these were suppose to fix."

Your segments work fine, as far as floors. The walls place fine over any floor type without replacing the existing floor.

I was referring to when I created a room with a single wall in the segment editor.

Thanks
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 06:47
Easy:

Select a room segment then click draw segment to wall which will just select the wall part. Then you can add windows, doors.etc

Jacko
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 16:42
schwartz!

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 02:31
Jacko,

By "draw segment to wall" are you saying press "M" to draw walls only?
The problem with that is that it takes on the characteristics of the floor when using wall segments. To test this use different room segments and select only walls. You should see that it does indeed add the floor.

If you have discovered something else, I would really like to know.

Merranvo and uman fully understand this limitation and could probably come up with a way around it but, what if TGC just makes it work in V1. I think I will just wait for V1 and carry on with other things for now.

Thanks to all that have responded.
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 05:23
I think!!!!

Try turning it around

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 15:41 Edited at: 14th Jul 2005 15:13
That is actually pretty funny, because I was asked that same question a day before your posts. They must be replaying it.
tschwarz
It's handed down from generation to generation, you usually don't choose it but end up giving it to someone else.

(just a name)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:49:39
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:49:39