Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / In-game text, help please.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there an efficient way to create in-game text with transparancy fading for 3d gaming with DBC? I tried creating a sprite as a text-box and it killed my frames per sec. Can I create a plane and lock it to the front of the screen where I want text to appear? The "Set Text Opaque" looks terrible, and "Set Text Transparent" can get lost if the lighting is too dark or too light...

Some advice please?

Thank you,
Cyril

With math all things are possible
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2005 00:54
the plain idea was good, just make the text transparent by typing "set object object number,1,0,1"

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2005 07:19
Cyril Grey,

The command LOCK OBJECT ON Object Number is easily found within the DarkBasic help files. This command does not allow the camera's movement to influence the locked object. However, the object must first be positioned in front of the camera, then locked to the screen. Where ever and at whatever the object's orientation was before it was locked, will be its orientation and screen position when and for the remainder of the time it is locked.

+NanoBrain+
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2005 18:02 Edited at: 5th Jul 2005 18:03
you could write a useful function treating a plain as a sprite and positioning it at screen coordinates x,y (the function does the work of positiong it in 3d space) then put it in code snippest

If you want anything DB related hosted, log in (with ws ftp or something) www.lysergium.net with username public@lysergium.net and password public. you'll be directed to lysergium.net/public

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:26:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:26:56