Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] The Newcomers Guide To Creating First Person Shooters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
can you put your downloads (on freewebs) in a zip file instead of rar. i am not able to open up rars.

thx
citybee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 03:38 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 03:39
sorry i though my post dissapeared

thx
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 04:12
Download winRar from download.com, eventually you'll need to be able to unzip rars anyways as most people are turning to rar's these days as it is. Might as well get it now and hang onto it, its free and handy to have around, and compresses a hell of a lot better than winZip can do.

:: Check out the new FPS Tutorial's Progress at http://www.freewebs.com/ruccus
along with code, media, and more.
Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 20:19
Actually, rarlab says its only a trial version that expires in 30 days.

Stay calm and keep a cool head
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 22:32
Except it never expires, Ive had the same WinRar for years.

Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 18:16 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 18:17
Really? I'll have to look into that then. I've been using the unrar utility via cmd, also known as fake dos if I'm correct.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 22:34
IIRC, at first it was on a 30 day trial, but then they released it for free when XP came out, but never got rid of the "30 Day Trial" message on the download. Eitherway, Ive installed it on multiple computers and never had problems.

dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2007 20:53
Thanks for this. I just bought dbp and this has helped immensely.

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
Togedude
Years of Service
User Offline
hey ruccus.net doesn't exist anymore...just a heads up!
thx your tut is really helpful and awesome!
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2007 08:20
Looking really nice dude, keep up the great work! Can't wait tell this is done, omg i cant wait

Opposites are different, not wrong
Vequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 04:50
So, any new updates coming up?

Sarge Edlow
Years of Service
User Offline
while posting and giving commands for certain actions will it be up to me to know only or will the system tell me?

Im the TS4 messiah
lava man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2007 23:17
wow your Tutorial has helped me a lot
i like the collision system and i am no longer scatching my head
over making a fps game but i am still trying to wrap my head around
ai for some reason i just dont get it
but anyway your Tutorial was varey helpfull.

no goto
kainism
Years of Service
User Offline
gr8 tutorial m8 im a total noob with DBP but from ur tutorial i was able 2 create player health and health creates that work but i dont know how 2 make the enemy shoot atm so i dont know if it will decrease when u get shot
bc1328
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 03:17
Enjoying the tutorial. Helps a lot.
Jay but not Bob
Years of Service
User Offline
when will there be an update to the tut
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 04:12 Edited at: 13th Apr 2007 04:13
Your stream of updates seems to have dried up. Any idea when you'll update the tut? (The old tutorial was great that's why I can't wait)

Anyway, I would like to thank you for confirming (several months ago) that freewebs is safe. I've been wanting to put up a site where I could sell games from but didn't know freewebs has a commerce system until I signed up (just remembered to a few days ago). (It's called Dragonware Games if you'd like to visit, but I don't have much there yet.) But until I make a commercial quality games to sell I think it will be a depository for my not-commercial games, applications, functions, game dev guides/articles, tuts, etc. So thanks, I wouldn't have a site if you didn't have one.

Can't wait until the tutorial gets updated. That video still looks promising.

By reading this sentence you have given me brief control of your mind.
DIGIROSS
Years of Service
User Offline
I followed the tutorial and everything is great! Been learning alot, but I have one small quirk/problem. I get a line in the middle of my screen when moving around. FYI I've typed the code exactly as written and i've rem'ed out stuff to pinpoint it to what seems to be the camera position in the tutorial code. Is this just me, old video drivers, or what?

Scratching my head...

Mess with the best, die like the rest!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 16:22
That happens to me too, very confusing problem.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2007 03:07
Its the sphere . Just hide the player sphere. Usually you dont have a head object for the player in FPSs, just arms and maybe a torso/legs.

And yes the tutorial is still underway, just havent had time to post about it. Ive been skate boarding a lot more recently though, so I usually only have 2-3 hours a week to work on it, if Im feeling up to it.

Farhan
Years of Service
User Offline
PLease Help!!!

i am a newbie to fps making , and i need the code for importing a map into dark basic for fps. i dunno thi scode might have already been posted in these forums somewhere but i m unable to locate it. so i'll be really grateful if someone can direct me as soon as possible

looking forward for your kind response
Regards!
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 14:27 Edited at: 23rd May 2007 00:13
I want you to finish the tutorial!!! It has helped me so much with commands and such in DBP. I would agree with the $100 donation, you deserve it!

~Chief

---PARANOID PRODUCTIONS---
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2007 15:23
How was that a bump... :/ its stickied, and it's been replied to in the last week or so.

Farhan: Id help, but if I did, you'd just continue to ask questions like that, which would annoy a lot of people. Instead, do searches using the search feature, use the help file that comes with dbpro, look in the codebase, look in code snippets for examples, and read at least one of the oh... hundred tutorials there are for dbp. If you still havent found the answer after all of that... ouch.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2007 02:37 Edited at: 4th May 2007 02:45
Ruccus you got me thinking into making my own FPS engine. I've pretty much mastered 2D and have a pretty good understanding of how Sparky's collision works so I think I'm ready to go for it. Until the tut comes out and shows how to properly structure an engine, what do you think of my current engine? If this isn't a good way to structure an engine please tell, I don't want to wind up like the MMORPG people!

Quote: "its stickied"

Not anymore. My much less popular Pac-Man tut got unsticked too, don't know what's happening.

Quote: "I want you to finish the tutorial!!! "

Me too. If you don't I'll venture into coding my FPS engine with no help. I don't want that to happen...

Please finish the tutorial! I'd agree with the $100 donation now as well, it looks like the new one's going to be absolutely great.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2007 04:58 Edited at: 11th May 2007 00:14
Oh yeah, forgot it got unglued, meh. Still wasnt a big bump.

I cant really tell from your flowchart if it's good or not... I dont really like using flowcharts, but theres no right way... just do what works, and make it efficient. You just need to have an eye for efficiency. Like, if you notice you're moving a lot of objects downwards based on gravity, its worth implementing a system where you call an add_fall_object() command to add an object to an array, and move every object in the array downwards based on their gravity speed, and increase a type called "speed" for each array element by the world gravity rate... as an example.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2007 21:25 Edited at: 4th May 2007 21:27
It's not a flowchart per se, it's more of a diagram of how the OOP objects should link together. I prefer OOP charts over flowcharts because it makes it easier to encapsulate routines.

Quote: "if you notice you're moving a lot of objects downwards based on gravity, its worth implementing a system where you call an add_fall_object() command to add an object to an array, and move every object in the array downwards based on their gravity speed, and increase a type called "speed" for each array element by the world gravity rate"

Well my main concern is code quality, I hate to write the same code twice so I'll probably have lots of systems like that. My current method of dealing with not rewriting code is that instead of having code like this:

and then noticing that there's two ways to die so you can make a mario_die() function instead of repeating code I set up these systems beforehand. I have a source file called MARIO.dba that has functions MARIO_getsupermushroom(), MARIO_getfireflower(), MARIO_hit(), MARIO_die() and these functions call each other. A great part is that the routines can take an index number and work with a scalable array, that's great for when you have multiple enemies you want to process in an OOP like fashion. It's also great for debugging because on the console you can just type the command that makes mario die to test the die code instead of looking for a goomba.

The only hard part about that is simulating OOP inheiritance. I'm definitly not going to have a separate source file for every type of enemy in my FPS, I'll need to have one ENEMY class and have customizable data somehow, and that's going to be hard especially when they have different AI types, it's not as simply as setting enemies(enemynum).health to a different value than the rest of them.

Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2007 08:18 Edited at: 12th May 2007 08:29
Any idea when this is supposed to be updated again?

Who will die first?
Dan Da Panda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 06:24
Hey Ruccus! I am new to Dark Basic Pro. But I have read some of this tutorial and i am getting this stuff pretty easily. The qusetion that i have is how (if i can) can i transfer already made objects for my characters and put it into Dark Basic Pro. The 3D Program that i am using is called Cinema 4D. Is it posible? If so, how?
Dan Da Panda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 06:26
Hey Ruccus! I am new to Dark Basic Pro. But I have read some of this tutorial and i am getting this stuff pretty easily. The qusetion that i have is how (if i can) can i transfer already made objects for my characters and put it into Dark Basic Pro. The 3D Program that i am using is called Cinema 4D. Is it posible? If so, how?
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 08:31
Double post..

---PARANOID PRODUCTIONS---
bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 08:40
@Dan da: yes you can very easily just using
i use it all the time

you can live with a man for all his days, but you really find what he really is like when hold him over a volcano
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 08:26
Dan Da Panda, what kind of respectable game engine doesn't have mesh loading?

Just use:
(Only use path/ if applicable)

Load object "path/filename", object number

DBP supports .X (Limbs, Mesh, Animation), .3ds (Limbs, Mesh), and .BSP (Multi-textured Mesh, mainly used for levels).

Will this tutorial ever get updated?

Who will die first?
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2007 03:18
*bump* I cant let this tutorial fall! It shall LIVE!

---PlasmaArts---
www.plasmaarts.co.nr - www.plasmaarts-games.co.nr
MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 20:47
May as well bump this, as it helped me so much it could help others .

E.D.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 22:45
Theres no point in bumping it, its featured in the stickied "Useful Threads for Newcommers" thread. Just let it die. Ill make a new post when I have the new tutorial finished. No, I dont know when that will be.

MikeB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 23:16
Ok .

E.D.

Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 03:38
Same ^^^^.

---PlasmaArts---
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2007 15:30
Noooooooooooo! Please don't let it die!

Bump.

Beyond this place there be dragons.
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 00:43
(thread speaking) "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine!"

---PlasmaArts---
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 05:10
Seriously now... let it die... theres absolutely no point in keeping it up. Its stickied, people can search, and to be frank, Im not that proud of the tutorial, knowing what I know now theres a lot of things I should've done differently, I really wasnt ready to write the tutorial, except people said it was good / tdk and the other tutorial guru's were MIA so I had nobody to tell me otherwise.

Just let it go... really. (No, like, really. Realllllllly. )

APC
Years of Service
User Offline
RUCCUS!
i did the hole thing in 2 days
well
got to give you props
and i do understand about 89% of what you said
but the wall you see you go on the side of it and run into it why do you fall under the map ?
how would you fix that
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2007 04:07
Im just confused. seriously its a good fps start, but it so screwy when i run it. it could be because of my computer, but the ammo crate or whatever just fizzles everywhere, and the stupid intersection dosent work. no offence, i learnt alot from it , but i prefer the fps tutorial that comes with dbpro.

Roborb = [0-------------] - Planning stages
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2007 23:24
Thread locked following request by Ruccus.

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 00:25:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 00:25:25