Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 6 Basic Steps In Making Your Games.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 05:36
Step 1 - Learn DarkBASIC
Okay the first step should be to start learning DarkBASIC I highly recommend that you pick up the book on DarkBASIC. Experiment with it
and when you think your ready go to step 2. You don't need to be an expert I'm not.

Step 2 - Write your ideas down
Brainstorm, write down all your ideas on paper or in Microsoft Word or something. When your happy with it move on to Step 3.

Step 3 - Create Media
Create the media for your game, then create a folder in projects
and put all your media there.

Step 4 - Program It
When it's bug free and your happy move to step 5.

Note: You don't have to do step 5 or 6.

Step 5 - WIP It
Post it on the Work in Progress or Program Accounment boards.
Get screenshots by using Alt PrintScreen then paste it in print.
Release a demo if you can.

Step 6 - Last Steps
Post it on the showcase or codebase, your own website, sell it whatever. Show it to friends.

Working On Azure Destiny 2D RPG Game.
Founder and CEO Of Magick Software.
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2005 13:18
Quote: "Step 4 - Program It"

You make it sound so easy. But what about the hundreds of steps within programming it? Some people can't just "program" it. It takes a certain..."leys-like" feature to program any game.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 23:21
if you spent more time coding leys then adding nonsense to the forums you might learn more and have something completed by now.

the information posted is good common sense but creating media and coding should be done at the same time due to unexpected problems.

eg: 3d models with limb data and different combinations of animations usually get worked over a few times to suit whats required of the game.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 07:48
Quote: "if you spent more time coding leys then adding nonsense to the forums you might learn more and have something completed by now."

I already have a few completed projects I did for school and a few for personal. Can't develop right now because my comp is crapped, so I just participate in this nice friendly dev community.

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 00:09
Quote: "Step 2 - Write your ideas down"

its amazing how many skip this part ...

Also, you add in that everyone should sketch out
the screen shots BEFORE coding.

Same also for data structures and overall project layout.

Another note: background stories ... Many seem to focus on
that part, but fail to figure how this will actually affect
PLAY.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 00:11
Personally I would swap steps 3 and 4. You could always use primatives to represent any models you may be adding and use very basic textures (green for grass etc.) to represent what your scene may look like.

Once your game is at a semi-complete state you could then start working on models and textures and only when it is entirely complete do you need to worry about sounds and music.

Tariq
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 00:29
I need a little assistance with getting started.

I've read and input the tutorials that have been offered, but I'm having a problem uploading my 3D objects. I use 3D Canvas Pro to create x and 3DS objects and then I export to DarkBasic (Electronic). I've tried to export into the media folder and even in to the actual project that I am working on --- The files make it to the media browser and I can view them and then click add (after starting a project in the editor) but when I load the object in the body of the code - it's not recognized. I even run the converter exe with the 3DS objects but I get the error - NOT A DARKBASIC PROGRAM. Am I missing a step? Any help would be appreciated.

"The basic difference between an ordinary person and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary person takes everything as a blessing or a curse."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:28:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:28:51