Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Last Stand

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 10:49 Edited at: 11th Jul 2005 02:01
Im breaking my own policy by printing my ideas and current projects but I really need some feedback but my mother just says "I dont know, whatever" and my cat just says "I cant be bothered right now" so here it is ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

COPYRIGHT DIGITAL DRAGON 2005

--------------------------------------------
LAST STAND by Ryan Ashcroft
============================================

~I'm currently designing a non-linear game because I've become way too dissatisfied with linearage! There's too much of it about these days. Games turn linear when their storyline turns to solid steel and cannot be broken.

I like games that require a degree intelligence and forethought to complete as apposed to being 'forced' along through a world in one direction until everything is dead.

Over the last 6 months I've been designing a game called Last Stand. It's an FPS/Puzzle/survival horror sci-fi game where you basiclly have to defend a fortress with an underground complex/facility. But things arnt that simple - the player has to cleverly manage and maintain smooth running of the complex to ensure that there is power reaching the defence systems and other systems. And it all has to be done manually!!! So between waves of random attacks from various enemies you must make vital repairs to your guns and systems before the next wave of attacks arrive. Failing this, the fort could be infiltrated - forcing you to lock yourself in the complex underground.

It would obiviously work best online with many players assisned with different jobs (medic,engineer,commander,heavy weapons,electronics etc).
If you want to beat the game you have to call in for a rescue and wait for a period of time. But the radio must be fixed. So between staying alive, you must find all the correct parts from anywhere in the complex and peice them together correctly. Gameplay can span over many many hours depending on how effiecent you are with your team and problem solving. Of course you also need some skills with weapons!
And amazingly there's still a storyline! Only it's activated by you when certain conditions are met (e.g the radio is fixed or you are the only man left...).

There is no time limit, the attacks will never stop. You the player are the only limit as you must make best use of the limited ammo and other resources from inside the base. When the bullets are spent and the med pacs are exhausted they won't magically respawn.
So ultimately you could find yourself trapped in the deepest darkest room underground, on your lonesome, one grenade and hunting knife with a hundred foes waiting for you outside the room. Still think your clever?

COPYRIGHT DIGITAL DRAGON 2005!!

(sorry I dont mean to look like a paranoid bighead but I can't overstress how much I hate thieves! I have good reason to suspect this idea has been stolen by certain individuals in these forums before and so I've actually gone to some lengths and expenses to ensure that my ideas now belong to me and only me. It might sound extreme but I've plugged a copyright cork in every orafice of my ideas because I have a history of them being stolen and Im sick of it. thank you please)

there's a lot to be said for unspeakable acts...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 10:55 Edited at: 10th Jul 2005 06:49
Will have pics here soon when this thread will let me!

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 11:07
Probably better in the game design theory board.

@Mods: If you're thinking of locking it, its probably better to move it to game design.

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 13:06
Um.... you do realize that yelling

Quote: "COPYRIGHT DIGITAL DRAGON 2005!!!

"

Does not actually copyright anything unless you legitametly register and copyright it yourself?

Quote: "
I can't overstress how much I hate thieves! I have good reason to suspect this idea has been stolen by certain individuals in these forums"

Believe me no one wants to steal...er...your "idea".

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 13:08 Edited at: 9th Jul 2005 13:11
Quote: "There is no time limit, the attacks will never stop. You the player are the only limit as you must make best use of the limited ammo and other resources from inside the base. When the bullets are spent and the med pacs are exhausted they won't magically respawn.
So ultimately you could find yourself trapped in the deepest darkest room underground, on your lonesome, one grenade and hunting knife with a hundred foes waiting for you outside the room. Still think your clever? "

Ok...now this is just unfair to the playe...
and the desginer should be severly beaten.

Your enemies have unlitmited troops, resources, ammo, and vigor, yet YOU are limited in every single way? Alot of people will be pissed of if this happened. Just pointing out flaws in your design. =/

EDIT:
Quote: "
Over the last 6 months I've been designing a game called Last Stand."

That's an awfully large amount of progress for 6 months of work.

STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 19:18
Well I Like the idea. Make sure you allow online play with even only a few people as that will make the game so much more fun. I hope you finish it.

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<->GLADIATOR ARENA<<
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 23:15
ooooh a good idea, now to get my dark basic out and start coding it
TIP: Never ever ever ever ever ever EVER post a WIP with out good screenshots or a demo, its just suicide! This fits much better in game design theory as Benji said

R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 00:16 Edited at: 10th Jul 2005 00:23
FEEDBACK AT LAST!!!! HORRAY!

where to start -

Benjamin

Quote: "@Mods: If you're thinking of locking it, its probably better to move it to game design."

No because It's not just a theory its a game that has begun on the programming side. I tried to post screens last night but it was acting tempromental and kept expiring. Will have a demo soon.

Megaton Cat

Quote: "Um.... you do realize that yelling
Quote: "COPYRIGHT DIGITAL DRAGON 2005!!!
Does not actually copyright anything unless you legitametly register and copyright it yourself?
Believe me no one wants to steal...er...your "idea".
"

Of course I know that and I have actually gone about copyrighting my...er..."idea" legitametly because I've put too much work into it for some slimey scumbag just to steal it.

Quote: "Your enemies have unlitmited troops, resources, ammo, and vigor, yet YOU are limited in every single way? Alot of people will be pissed of if this happened. Just pointing out flaws in your design. =/"

The game is balanced but admittidly challenging to complete. Most of your enemies are primitive unarmed aliens and even if you have little ammo there are other means such as trapping them in rooms. (Just don't forget which rooms they are in! Hell, put a notice on the door if you must!)
But there should be enough to last you until a rescue arrives. Also the main objective isnt about wiping out the enemy and getting the girl, it's about how long you can hold out so a points and time based scoring system will be incorperated.

I am still learning to code so I have only designed the media, documentation etc but Delfir and Skalex and a few others are on my team and we are designing a 2D version first.

STALKER

Quote: "Well I Like the idea. Make sure you allow online play with even only a few people as that will make the game so much more fun. I hope you finish it."

Cheers mate. Indeed, online play will be the key to getting the most out of the game and i=I will finish this project if it takes the rest of my days!

Seppuku Geijutsu

Quote: "ooooh a good idea, now to get my dark basic out and start coding it
TIP: Never ever ever ever ever ever EVER post a WIP with out good screenshots or a demo, its just suicide! This fits much better in game design theory as Benji said"

Look, this section is called Work In Progress - I am progressivly working on it and not just talking about it. If this thread sinks to the bottom of the page 112 after 3 weeks, fine. But every new feature that is designed or implimented will be updated in here for other members interest and my own documentation. Thank you please.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming,. Diolch.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 00:20
Quote: "Does not actually copyright anything unless you legitametly register and copyright it yourself?"

[At least in the UK] if a single person creates a piece of programming, media, or invention, they have the right to self-copyright the material in question, provided it is beyond the practise of simple theory

(It is an actual object etc, not just simply an idea. Before anyone points this out, practice in singular is actually 'practise' )

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 00:30
Good point Dai boy! There are also many other means of self-copyrighting that would stand up in courts in UK such as posting it (game demo, invention, script etc) to yourself or someone else and leaving it unopened. I use this method with finished film scripts.

Now no more talk of copyrighting and legality because it always seems to get peoples back up.

R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 00:39 Edited at: 10th Jul 2005 06:30
Level design pic - 'VIEW'

It looks small but in fact I got the scale slightly wrong and of course the main levels will be full of rooms and features.

Attachments

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 01:21
Looks pretty good. I've seen a game with a very similar design somewhere before and it was really fun so if you pull it off this could be great, especially with multiplayer.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 02:17
That's a good map.
It shows the whole underground area in 3D without obscuring anything. It's very good.

But it still doesn't show actual progress in programing. Some people still wont be satisfied with it, so some screens of the actual program would be helpful.

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 04:35
Quote: "Some people still wont be satisfied with it"

good for them, they can go throw themselves off a cliff or something, or better yet, just not say anything, people sitting there saying "DONT POST THIS IT'S NOT READY"(unless they're a mod, that's their job) is spam itself and no one who is interested in this post (ME perhaps) wants to read it, so go kill yourself because no one likes you.

anyway, nice design, i like it, it's always a good idea to DESIGN as much as you can BEFORE you start PROGRAMMING.
Keep at it, nice work.

R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 06:28
Quote: "...saying "DONT POST THIS IT'S NOT READY"(unless they're a mod, that's their job) is spam itself and no one who is interested in this post (ME perhaps) wants to read it..."

I agree with Darwin entirely onthis one. It really doesnt matter if you dont think this should be here, I dont want to hear about it. Im sure the mods have noticed it by now and they havn't said anything.

And just because I dont have a demo dosent mean It's not worth being here. There is such a thing as 'Pre-Production' ya know.

Want another pic? Here is one of the levels I designed in 3D before it was decided that we make a 2D game first.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 07:55
Sexaaaaaaayyyyyyyy
Frozen Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
dont make it 2D.

i like the map

School is supposed to be teaching our kids how to read and write. Not about dangerous drugs like PHP.
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 09:57
Looking very nice. What parts of the level are those shown in the screen shots? Good luck.

Formely play2kill

When the power of love overcomes the love of the power... the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 10:10
nice, I was only stating demo/screenies because unfortunately a WIP has to be qualified by forum rule, screenies is one of them, no need for me to nag now you've shown em, hopefull you can pull this off as preferbly as 3D

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 14:08 Edited at: 10th Jul 2005 14:09
First, he said A 2D game first, not spesificaly this one. Secondly, that's even more awesome than the map, and I'm truely extreamly impressed. I say the six months were well spent.

btw, I really like your logo and the game logo a lot. I also think people will get the idea that the game's copyrited if you only say it once before and after the description. I agree that people who steal other peoples work are a**holes, but saying it so many times at the bigining of the thred anoys the honest people. At least it anoyed me.

Delfir
Years of Service
User Offline
Well well. You doubters will see the tables turn, as soon as Ryan finishes the 2d animations and emails them to me, I will begin coding the 2d version of "Last Stand". Its coming along rather excellently. I'm glad to churn out code for a game with such a dedicated designer.

Legendary>Heroic>Normal>Easy
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 18:26 Edited at: 10th Jul 2005 18:26
The screenshots look very nice, what sort of 2D game were you thinking of? Pre-rendred, sprites, or 3D graphics with 2D gameplay ALA pandemonium?

Dumbo and Cool

WIP Board!
R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2005 23:38
Liking the response so far guys, thanks.

soapyfish

It's actually a mixed level, if you notice it has power generators, med labs, store rooms. The finished version will have designated levels for each resource.

Bizar Guy

Quote: "First, he said A 2D game first, not spesificaly this one. Secondly, that's even more awesome than the map, and I'm truely extreamly impressed. I say the six months were well spent.

btw, I really like your logo and the game logo a lot. I also think people will get the idea that the game's copyrited if you only say it once before and after the description. I agree that people who steal other peoples work are a**holes, but saying it so many times at the bigining of the thred anoys the honest people. At least it anoyed me."

Cheers, yeah I've taken off all the unessasary 'Copyright' I can see how it can be annoying. I have loads more pre-prod stuff that I'll post when I get back to my own puter.

Delfir

Hi keith, this would be a good oputunity to ask people - 'What's the best way to draw sprite animations for a 2D game? I'm thinking of taking a series of stills from video like Mortal Kombat did.

Drew Cameron

Imagine Gauntlet but much better. Gauntlet was in fact a big inspiration for this game.

3D is better but Delfir and I were thinking it would be better to create the game engine in 2D and convert it when all the models are ready. Also we can get a demo out much quicker for ya'all.

Gotta go tend to the BBQ. Mmmmmm...BBQ...

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 03:02
Quote: "better to create the game engine in 2D and convert it when all the models are ready. Also we can get a demo out much quicker for ya'all.
"

*Bump*

I recommend against that path. Not to sound like a 'YOU MUST DO THIS' type person, but games are very hard to convert from 2d to 3d, mainly due to extra coordinate involved (depth- Z).

I think you should just go full-out on 3d. Get the engine up-and running. Use a box for characters (or whatever). When you finally secure some media, your media will easily 'plug-in', and the game will look beautiful.

Just an opinion
(Sorry about the bump)

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 05:10
I think you might be right there Dave....hmmmm...I dunno though because Delfir is not experienced with 3D and I'm not experienced with any coding but it would be a waste of my 3D modeling skills. hmmm...I'll think about it. Skalex?

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 05:42
I agree with David R, you'd probably save alot of time and effort going straight to 3d.

Quote: "Delfir is not experienced with 3D and I'm not experienced with any coding"

That's why the forums are here.

Formely play2kill

When the power of love overcomes the love of the power... the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Yusaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 06:07
"Does not actually copyright anything unless you legitametly register and copyright it yourself?"

That's not necessarily true... anything you say is copyrighted by you as long as you made it up. The only reason to go to get a registered patent is to prove that the idea is yours. I saw a video on copyrights last year in TV production.

-----Signature-----
http://tenshin.infinitydev.net -- Games Made: Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Fable, Master Chief, and more.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 07:31
Quote: "That's not necessarily true... anything you say is copyrighted by you as long as you made it up. "

A copyright in your head is not going to prevent anyone from stealing it.

(Please note though that I do not encourage copyrighting of anything for hobbist programmers . I think thise forum can manage on just trust)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 07:56
um, just put copyright to your identity all over your work and have proof that its you, and then you're safe, and maybe register it to yourself, we didn't do much on copyright laws at school, but we did loads on the data protection act, and its on all of my application forms for a job!!!!!!So copyright laws would've been better to study more, stupid examing board

R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 02:12
ok lets wrap up this spamming coprighting issue - I would recommend copyrighting anything you wish to sell even if it's not for a few years. I copyright most most things I create or plan on creating because I've had work stolen in the past and it left a bad taste with me.

And I think this game should be 3D from the start. yeah.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 16:23
Delfir should pick up some 3d, it would be ultimately sexy. In some cases 3d is easier than 2d (when it comes to rendering with DBP, just put it where you want it and add a sync, no screwing around with sprites and get images and whatnot). But 3d math will probably trip it up, either look on gamedev for a good beginning 3d maths book or get a plugin like NGC or Newton.

I'm going to eat you!
R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 21:23
cool, thanks for the advice.

R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 01:49 Edited at: 8th Aug 2005 17:26
animations for Kieth.....

im just a simple peasant...

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:22:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:22:53