Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pipes 3D - Puzzle Entry

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 18:53 Edited at: 9th Jul 2005 19:02
Hey all

This is just a quick example of what my game will look-like, and some basic functionality.

I just need people to test it on different machines to see how it fairs

I get roughly 88FPS on my 2GHz AMD Althon XP, 1GB RAM, Nvidia FX5200, XP Pro.

[EDIT] Whoops... Forgot the screen-shot

[/EDIT]

Get the executable here - Pipes3D.rar

The idea eventually will be that you have a starting block, where the pipes must go from and meet up to ( on the other side ), while passing through at least 3 of the faces of the cube.
Kind of making a loop for the pipes.

Controls are simple - Left Mouse click to rotate, Right click to rotate the other way.
Hold control and drag the mouse to shift the camera around... Acts like it would in a modeling program.

[EDIT]
Just as a note: When the game first loads up, there is a lengthy black screen... That's just things being set-up. It only lasts for about 10seconds, but it seems like forever
[/EDIT]

If anyone has any suggestions about the functionality, or the game-idea, speak up, so I can change it around

Oh, and I know I only have 9 days left, so don't expect me to finish this Kind of a last-minute thing, even though it's been in planning for so long!

Thanks guy's,
Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 19:05 Edited at: 9th Jul 2005 19:05
Clever idea!!.I would suggest that you set the object culling to of for your models so that you can see the backfaces of your pipes.
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2005 20:33
Thanks

Oh, about the culling... I forgot to mention that the models are still being worked on

The idea is that each model is inverted, which gives that unique effect how no matter what angle you're looking at it, you can see the other side of the block, but not be obstructed by the face closest to you

I need to just go over the models and fill in the interior of the pipes so that it looks more aesthetically pleasing

Jess.

Torq
Years of Service
User Offline
Neat concept Controls felt nice. I didnt like having to hold the control key though. I see how its important but you have to double click on the pipes to change them I would rather be able to hold the mouse button down to rotate the scene (feels more natural).
Frame rate not a problem.

Im on a 1.8 gig amd 700 + megs of ram and 64 meg radeon 320 m.
I also thought instead of working the models too much you could just cap the ends of the tubes so you cant se inside.
Anyway cool concept Keep on it.

http://badtempergames.tripod.com

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 18:26
Torq,
Thanks for the feed-back.

The problem with the camera control is that I can't know when the user wants to rotate the camera, or click a peice of the puzzle.

At the moment, the User rotates only while the mouse is held along with the Control Key, and clicks a peice only when the mouse is released while hovering.

I could do something like 3-mouse control where the middle-button is the camera control, or possibly where you click both buttons to do the camera...
I dunno, I'll test some things out, and see what feels nice.

About the pipes.
I could do that ( and thought about doing it for a while too ), but then I wont be able to push things through ( and out of ) the pipes when it comes time to let the water flow ( or whatever other method I come up with ).

I was thinking about using Newton to roll a ball through the system, to play the game, or possibly a little hampster or something

Thanks again for the feed-back, and it's good to know it's running smoothly on others PC's

Jess.

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 03:12
Hmm, you're having that DirectX issue that others have been having, whereas I can't run it because I'm missing a DX, but those with DBP installed can run it. I've got DirectX 9.0c installed on Windows XP.

Looks great otherwise.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Torq
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea I was wondering about the ball thing. If you dont use newton you could and you could just make it appear to go in and appear to come out. But this would get more complex because you would have to know if the puzzel was completed properly(code would be ugly / not much time) where as with newton it would make its own way.
The 2 button combo with the mouse is a good Idea and I think might work. IMHO this game feels like it should just be using the mouse.
Anyway just babbling a bit. Looking forward to another demo.

http://badtempergames.tripod.com

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 05:59
Looks good. Have you submitted all the specs and documentation as an assignment?

BatVink
Eddie B
Years of Service
User Offline
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 11:15
missing dx dll error. I have DX9.0c on Win2k

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2005 19:53
AluminumPork & Phaelax,
Um... I'm not sure about what's wrong with that...
You have the February release of 9.0c installed, yeah ( The one that you need to compile under 5.8 )?

I've tried it on both my machines ( each can compile under 5.8 ), and it works fine.

Torq,
I actually have all the Pre-calculating routines, etc, etc, done for a 2D version of the game, but when you hit 3D, you have the possibility of something going in 12 directions, rather than just 4... Which, as you can probably tell, makes calculations alot harder.
I have the time to do it ( hell, the 2D version only took me a day to figure out ), but weather or not I can be bothered, is another story

I tried Newton last night, and it didn't work terribly well... I'm out of practice with it, and so, when I tried applying forces along collision normals, etc, nothing seemed to happen...

I dunno

BatVink,
lol, nah, not this one... This one's a personal project ( and I'm still working on the Pinball game, btw... Have been all-day today ).
This'll be one of those fun projects that can go into a portfolio for a quick and dirty show of skill and imagination

Thanks for the feed-back, guys.

Jess.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 18:16
Alright, I've tried all-sorts, and everything is just not working

I've gotten no further than the demo I posted here 5 days ago, so I think that I'm wasting my time

Thanks to those who actually tested the thing.

I'll give it one last bash tonight, to see if I can get anything useful coded, but if not, then I'm out and done for good

Have fun, and good luck to everyone else entering the compo.

Jess.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:24:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:24:24