Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A 2d scroller game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 05:00
Hi, i am wanting to create a 2d scroller game, something simple for fun to give to a mate of mine.

I have an intermediate coding experience and can read code easily enough, i just dont have much practise in db pro.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to hlp me along with creating this game.

My idea was just to have something like an old twin dragons game or something.

Main character with martial arts moves fighting henchmen then a boss at the end of a stage.

Just wanting to create a small stage first to get started.

Would be great if anyone has alrdy tackled this and has some time to explain how to go about starting to make it.

Thanks
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
haven't exactly tried it but I can try to walk you through the basic process. Here are a couple of steps to begin.
1. Get all of your pictures and other important media ready first(sounds for hitting and sprites)
2. Work on the engine itself(ex. get a basic gravity code working for your sprites).
3. Make a couple of platforms to jump on. This helps for spotting bugs early
4. Make one enemy(and a way to kill it). Initially just make it be able to die.
5. Make enemy move
6. Make the enemy attack the hero.
7. Test everything on your level one picture(i would suggest a background image and then individual sprites for each platform)
8. Add sounds and music
9. Add extras(bosses,cinematics, etc.)

thats a very basic rundown of the steps. it may be a little longer than some other suggestions but it works. also, make sure to map out the game at least in your head if not on paper before attempting step 1.
Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2005 20:51
I have a few basic sounds, sprites wise i was thinking about taking pictures of my friend doing martial arts moves in slow motion at different stages for the sprites.

Im guessing we need a blue background or something and to resize the pics.

Anyone tried this? I also dont know what software to use to edit these, i have a friend who can edit them in paintshop pro, i dont have that at the moment.
Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 00:45
Does anyone have any links to tutorials in this area, that i might of missed?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:21:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:21:13