Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I could use some encouragement.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 04:18
Hi! I am Nytmayre. You may have read some of my other stuff (hopefully this won't be as bad), but I am coming to the final week of my DB Trial Version, and I can't help thinking that learning this language is very tiresome and, ultimatly, slow.
Sure, it is sooo rewarding when you finish a worthwhile project, but the thing that gets me is, it takes so long to make one! I mean, I have been studying Darkbasic for the best part of a month, and I probably don't know as much about it as most other people reading this thread.
When I downloaded the trial, I knew it was going to take a while to get used to programming stuff, but I never realy grasped how long it took to learn this it. I am now in the position where I am unsure as to whether I want to do this; I suppose it depends on how much patience I have.
In other words, could people talk to me about this and give me some words of advice, encouragement, warning, or anything else you care to send me.

Thank you so much, in advance,

--Nytmayre--

Dream the world is doing fine, forget the Nytmayres left behind. Nytmayre of the burning sin, nytmayres scream from you deep within.

Uh... What's the point of this bit?
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 04:23
You'll never succeed. You are pathetic.

Give up now before all your efforts come back to haunt you as treacherous FAILURES.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 05:32
Be patient. Take your time.
when you don't have much patience, DarkBasic isn't somthing for you.

I'd suggest you'd work your way through some tutorials, examples etc.

Immunity and Annihalation makes Immunihalation...
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 07:12
Yes it is rewarding when you finish a project but projects are suppose to take a long time. It takes time to think about what you want... make the graphics... write the code... debug the code... write better functions... debug... write more code... debug... debug... debug... debug... debug... have friends test the game... debug... debug. Normal games that you buy (Computer, PS2, XBOX) take at the very minimum a year or two just to get their game working right and bug free. Darkbasic is no different.

One of the things a lot of newbies post here is "I have never programmed before but I want to make the next San Andreas. Please write code for me.". You know by now that's not going to happen overnight. It's that way for all of us... even the people that have programmed for 20+ years... there are things that even they don't know(I count myself in that). Programming means constant learning. If you're wiling to be patient (as Sven B said) the rewards are endless. There's nothing greater in the world than saying... I PROGRAMMED THAT!

If you buy Darkbasic Pro and keep programming you won't regret it.
Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 08:12
Quote: " You'll never succeed. You are pathetic.

Give up now before all your efforts come back to haunt you as treacherous FAILURES."

If you just shoot teh jimmy, you will feel much better.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 10:09
lol, the only things ive heard jimmy say are bad things

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 18:59
Nytmayre,

We all need a bit of encouragement sometimes. Just hang in there, because life can be grey and full of road blocks. Be strong! No pity.

+NanoBrain+
Nytmayre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 02:54
Hey thanks ppl!! Well done for answering my thread. I needed encouragement, and, I got it right here. Thanks everyone. You have lifted the spirits of Nytmayre, which is actually an oxymoron.
Oh and, Leys, good idea! Zotoaster, good point as well! Sven B, Nice post. Usually I have quite a lot of patience, but I was tired and needed some sleep. NanoBrain, I have had quite a lot of very useful posts from you (and loads of others have too) so, at the next MOD vote, I'm voting 4 you man.
Grueslayer, I think in this thread you have been the most helpful too me.I agree with you points, and I now better understand the ways of the DB Programmer. You have been a great help, so thanks!

Although I am still thinking it over, I think it is safe to say that in the near future, at least one more copy of DB Pro is to fly off the shelf. (If you know what I mean)

One Final Word: Jimmy, Have you ever heard Homecoming By Green Day?
If you have, then good! Because the song tells of a Guy Called St. Jimmy who blows his brains out. Why don't you follow his example?

One Final Thank you.

[/center]XXXNYTMAYREXXX[center]

Dream the world is doing fine, forget the Nytmayres left behind. Nytmayre of the burning sin, nytmayres scream from you deep within.

Ace Of Spades
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 03:12
Quote: "I could use some encouragement."

That is something everyone could use.

Nytmayre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 03:28 Edited at: 14th Jul 2005 03:28
Heh. True, true...

But that said, some need it more than others...

Me being one of them (lol)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:19:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:19:00