Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Creating an MMORPG with DBP and other Progs possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I am new to this Game developing scene, and have a few questions.
Without the understanding of common languages (c++), utilizing DBP, would it be possible to create a basic MMORPG solely with DBP, or would it require some of the following Program Tools:

1)DBP - Dark Basic Professional
2)Some kind of 3d Modeling Program?
3)Graphix Program like "EXGEN"
4)World Building Program like "GOSCAPE 3D"
5)Game Model Program like "TreeMagic G2" For my trees

Would I need all of those tools, or would I solely need DBP?

Thanks in advance. I am sure there are thousands of other tools and ways to go about this, but as unexperienced as I am, I feel more comfortable asking in these Forums, where perhaps someone has made an RPG world or dabbled with it.
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 15:37
1) No, you need better stuff than that (plugins)
2) hahahaha..yes
3)ermm..no
4)yes/no
5) no/yes
plus a $90 per month server
12+ months
9 team members
and some wits.
Seriously, go for pong or something. Or an fps. I made pong, an fps, and such.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 16:19
NO... do not REMAKE pong... it has been killed 10^10^10 times over.

Mutiplayer is hard, so I would recommend sticking with your RPG first, then encorporating MP into it.
Also, you should skip the whole "server" gig, Use Direct X protocols to create a p2p network. (No Not Kazaa, Bit Torrents, Limewire, Napster, or any other one you might think of)

4)World Building Program like "GOSCAPE 3D"... I was under the impression that there is a free DBP Mockup of this some where.

5)Game Model Program like "TreeMagic G2" For my trees. Search the "General" fourms for TreeMagik. It can LEGALLY be downloaded for free somewhere.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 19:57
You could do it solely with DBP and a few plugins. Read up on the peer to peer techniques Merranvo was talking about or I would also recommend checking if Nuclear Glory is offering Nuclear Network right now, their collision would also save you a lot of time.

Doing it without any graphics programs would be artistically strange because for game objects you'd either have to use primitives or find free ones off of turbosquid or some place. DB is the 3d engine (+sound and input and other stuff), you have to find art assets yourself.

For good resources look for Animeblood's RPG help thread, any of Andrew Neale's Realms of Tutopia posts, or look around for Oneka's threads about Daikanu Online or try and ask him yourself-he had multiplayer up and running.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: A Redneck game
Yusaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 20:00
My next project is going to be an online RPG (6 players, not MMO) solely using DBP, 3D Canvas LP, and a few team members I've gathered on a message board. Already have concept art and story. ^_^

It's very possible!

But don't do it if you don't have years of experience in making video games. It's not a great project to start with.
MMO lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for all of your replies. I just wanted to get a feel for what exactly it would require to create some kind of RPG, and I believe my inquiries have been answered.

Thanks
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 21:44
Quote: "Without the understanding of common languages (c++), utilizing DBP, would it be possible to create a basic MMORPG solely with DBP, or would it require some of the following Program Tools:

1)DBP - Dark Basic Professional"

o.O If you're soley programming it with DBP, then obviously you'll need DBP...

Current Projects: SHADE - Game Maker | Mecho - TGC Puzzle Entry | Halo Physics Engine | COLD - Polygonal Collision Detection
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 23:06 Edited at: 20th Jul 2005 23:09
lol, i'm gona make an Online likekindagame for my Girlfriend.
Here's and interesting article abou hot to make an MMORPG:
http://www.devmaster.net/articles/building-mmorpg/

most of the stuff can be made with 4 programs:
- A programming language (on this case, DB)
- An modeling and animating tool (Milkshape 3D or Blender)
- An program to produce music in case that you don't have your personal Band (E-jay)
- An database program (MS Acess)

Yusaku, your project looks like it's gona be a great deal.... i'm interested, post stuff if you can

True Phantasy
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2005 08:39
uh yeah you can use Exgen if you want....I gonna get it just to save me time from making my own...all I need from that are still images..

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 04:29
heh , it depends on how good you want your game to be :-

1-choose dbp only if you are going to make a game where the main character is a cube and the map is lots of colourful spheres .

2-chooes dbp and modelling prog like milkhape if yor main character is a human walking on colourful spheres killing alien monsters .

3-Choose dbp , geocape 3d PRO And milkshape if you are making a game withr human characters running around in a forest or something ,

Use tree magick and option 3 to add trees if u r too lazy to add them , thats what people who want to finish quickly do , it not fun . Im only uing tree generator (a program) to add trees ,since i have lots of busy coding and modelling to do .

And th ebiggest requirement of all

GET A FAST AND REALLY GOOD SERVER not from a restaurant , but from a pc super store !

im also making an online orpg not mmorpg called darklight .

contact keemo1000@hotmail.com for more info .

http://69.44.157.152/rendered/cooltext7449016.png
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 10:47
main thing you need is a good connection! you dont need top of the line so you know :

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 13:22
In DB help there's an tuturial about how to make an online game

True Phantasy
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 13:38
I was working and when i was testing i've notice some things...:
1st : i can imput till the end of time, can i specify a num of char?
2nd : there's some strange bars under the leters, how can i remove it?

True Phantasy
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 08:12 Edited at: 30th Jul 2005 08:20
Quote: "I was working and when i was testing i've notice some things...:
1st : i can imput till the end of time, can i specify a num of char?
2nd : there's some strange bars under the leters, how can i remove it?"

Post the code with media and we can help you. All we can do is guess without code. My guess would be a length check in the form of "if len(yourstring$)".

The lines under the text will remain a mystery... unless you post code. Also it's better to post questions about your own code in a new message... instead of using a message that somebody else started. That way you can make the title of the message to something like "Text input problem".
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 19:24
Yea, sorry ^^" but i really don't know if DB has some commands....

True Phantasy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:30:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:30:55