Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Learning DarkBASIC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2005 21:49
Hi guys, I am kinda struggling on learning the DB language, and I just wanted to ask - where's the best place to learn it? I mean, I've tried the Command list and such, but I find it confusing - is there any place I can learn those key commands in the easiest way possible? I'm not a complete newbie,( I know about 15, but I wanna get to know a wider selection), so if anyone could provide any websites, google pages, tuts, etc. the help would be greatly appriciated. Thankyou.

An Eternal Struggle between good and evil continues...Each side looking for an advantage...Each side looking for me.

Uh... What's the point of this bit?
thinkdigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 03:00 Edited at: 17th Jul 2005 03:02
The Beginner's Guide To DarkBASIC Programming is good, It'll teach you loads (it's a book, so you know)

Now, tutorials for you:
TGC's Dark Basic Classic Tutorials
TGC's Dark Basic Pro Tutorials

This site has a little tutorial on how to create a game.

For the rest, search Google

Forgive the sig, I'm learning PHP
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 07:59
Yep, I'd have to suggest the book as well.

It doesn't actually say "this is how to make a game in DB" but it explains everything about programming (loops, if/endif, functions, arrays, lights, variables etc etc etc) and how to use them. It's split up into chapters to sort out the different aspects and has loads of very well explained examples.

It won't teach you everythng but it's a good start if you're new to prgramming/DB.

Hope I helped.

Formely play2kill

When the power of love overcomes the love of the power... the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 08:19 Edited at: 17th Jul 2005 08:20
Nytmayre,

The way I learn best is by need. When there is a program I wish to write, there are specific things I know I need to do or learn to create it. Just like when I first began to learn DarkBasic, I wanted to create a program that checked for simple 2D collision between the mouse and a box on the screen. Therefore, since I did not know any commands, I first searched for commands that I could get the mouse's coordinates from. Eventually I found them. From that point, I knew those commands.

Above is a simple example of a need and how it helped me to learn. Know what you need and then search for commands that should help you fill that need. It is a great system.

+NanoBrain+
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 17th Jul 2005 20:32 Edited at: 17th Jul 2005 20:33
What I do is go to the main menu of the help files and click on "commands". In that menu is a list of the commands by category. I just say "Ok... this week i'm going to learn..." and click a category. I then look at the commands list... pick a command and start writing code following the syntax of the command. One week (one day is enough for some things or even minutes) look at all the commands for working with text... next try drawing 2D stuff... then sprites. Don't do all the commands you can at once (you'll burn out on information overload). Play with the code and see what happens. The more you try different things the better you understand the commands.

Practice, practice, practice.
caleb870
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 03:37
Well I did same thing that Grog Grueslayer said and I pretty much remember half of the commands. Though I'm using DarkBASIC Pro.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:18:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:18:34