Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Where are the tga files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If this topic has already been covered, I apologize. I'm afraid the search options aren't very good, or there hasn't been a lot of things covered here, or I'm just not finding it.

I want to alter an entity's image map and create a new entity with the new map, but when I look at the fpe file for the assault rifle for instance, it points to the directory "gamecore\guns\scifi\assaultrifle\" and the texture named "gun_D2.tga". However, when I navigate to this folder, the file "gun_D2.tga" doesn't exist! instead, there is "gun_D2.dds", a different file format. It's like that for a lot of models. Not all, mind you, but the great majority of those that I have tried to edit.

Also, when I DO edit a tga file, the in-game version looks horrible, as if the resolution was scaled to the point where it just looks like a blur. no detail shows through at all. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm saving the tga files with GIMP (which I highly recommend, by the way, just think of photoshop if it were better...and open source-free), tga format, RLE compression.

I realize that dds files are directx image files, but GIMP doesn't "do" dds files, and the only editor that I can find is in the directx sdk, which I'm downloading now (the entire 228 Meg monster which, if I really wanted to get involved with, I wouldn't have bought fpsc). But that doesn't seam like it should matter. The fpe files are pointing to tga files, which GIMP DOES recognize and edits happily, when I can find them. So where are the tga files that all these fpe files are pointing to? I know they're not hidden, since I changed folder options to view hidden files. I did a search for all *.tga files, and the search returned about 10% of all the files that SHOULD be on the system. What gives?

"Who in their right mind would ever need more than 640k of ram!?"
-- Bill Gates, 1981
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
I think i kind of explained this in your other thread.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57331&b=24
If you don't get my mad rantings then i am sorry
but feel free to ask.
Good luck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 14:18:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 14:18:33