Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Creating a Map Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 04:45
Hi,
Could someone please give me a little help I wish to make a basic map/matrix(not sure if there is a difference) editor. However i have no idea where to start. If someone could please give me a few tips it would be very helpful.

Forgive me if i am wrong but a map/matrix editor saves time by allowing the user to click where they would like objects positioned. The position can the be saved along with the matrix.

I would also find it useful if someone could explain how you import MatEdit Matrixes in to Dard Basic. Because i have spent hours trying to figure out how and thats with the manual document that comes with it.

BTW i'm using DBC.
Thanks Jozers
James Morgan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 05:06
Hi Jozers, there is a difference between a matrix and a map editor. A basic matrix editor will allow you to mold/edit a matrix landscape.
A basic map editor is like a world editor, it it can either allow you to mold/edit the matrix and/or add objects etc to the map.

There are many ways to make a map editor, I have never tried to use the mouse to position objects in DBC, just DBP so I am unsure if it can be done. But a VERY simple editor can allow you to load a object then use the arrow keys to move the object.

Basic functions would be:

Then all you have to do is save the object number, filename, and its position to a text file. To load it, simple read the text file and load/position the relevant objects in the right place.

If you look at the other matrix and map editors, get a feel for the amount of work that has been done, look at their interface and all the different functions they have. It's going to be a lot of work but good luck to you!

J

Hello!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 23:23:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 23:23:23