Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is anybody out there working on a 3d action adventure game???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone I am new to Dark basic. I just purchased Dark Basic PRO and I would love to start on a game that I have wanted to make since I was about 13 or so, I am now 20, and have more idea's than ever, and the drive and determination to do it. I would like to know if anyone is working on a 3d free roaming or 3d anything action adventure (in the likes of Zelda 64 or any game of that type that has come out since). Yea know something with real-tiem fighting and lush 3d enviroments and a fun interactive world. I would love to get in touch with ANYONE that has had experience with this sort of game or that could help me in any way, and one of these days when I get good enough, I can help somebody too.

Helping making a dream a reality.
Jason

"It will be done..."
Guilty by right
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again . I have another question even before the first is answered. this wont happen often (promise). What I would like to know if at all possible is what are the EASIEST modelling and animating programs out there for the absolute newb. I can learn code, but my ability to model is hopelessly inadequate to produce what my great visions have in store for our game.
My brother is recruited on my team he is an artist, and he would like to learn to model and animate, we just lack the knowledge of where to start. I know that we cannot start right off the bat making GRAND GAMES or FAST PROGRESS, but we are both very devoted to what we start. I would love to know what programs are good for the budget versus ease of use, for modeling and animating.
Also what part of the game should I start on first. I was thinking the media, but what do you think?
We are purely up for suggestions and any help we may recieve most greatfully.

thank you,
Jason and Chris

"It will be done..."
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 15:27
Dreams are nice but since you're new to Darkbasic i'm going to tell it to you like this:

Is it possible for a person to say "I'm going to learn to play the piano."... and the next day their playing in concert halls to an audience of thousands?

Dreams only happen with a lot of practice. If you haven't coded that much in Darkbasic you need to start small (make a 2D game). Slowly you will learn the skills to make your dream game.

Look through the help files and start experimenting with code and look at the examples posted here. You won't be programming your dream game right away... but you'll be just as proud because you made it.
Guilty by right
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Grog, I will start on a 2d project right away. Any you would recommend to put me in the right direction, say for learning skills that I will need in the future? A step-by-step tutorial would be great.

As soon as my other post clears the moderator's could you take a look at it and give me some advice. I would like to purchase software that I will actually need at an affordable price, not software that's 5X the amount for things I wont EVER use. Don't you hate it when that happens. I do.
thank you again, any help is most appreciated.
Jason and Chris

"It will be done..."
Lame Brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2005 23:21
You can look in the 3Dimensional chat thread for some great suggestions on modelers, but what it pretty much boils down to is that Wings3D is the best free modeler and MilkShape is the best and most affordable modeler.

That's my interpretation anyway, check it out and see what you think.

Another hair-brained idear from... LAME BRAIN!
warship45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 03:03
i would not mind helping you with your any of your projects just add me to msn when ever you need help. (warship45@hotmail.com)

want to join a good dark basic forum then go to

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/index.php?mforum=teamdarkstep
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
as far as 2d games go, try (yes, the overdone game) pong. once you have the basics of the game itself done, then you can improve on it ( add special features etc.). Then(what I would do) remake it later in 3d so that you can get used to 3d collision detection and movement code.

hope this helps
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 12:00
Unless you planning on making 2D games go straight for 3D...

start off with simple matrix for landscape,simple objects like cubes, spheres and such for your characters, monsters etc......

check all the boards, just about everything your gonna ask in the future is already here....

Everything you want to accomplish in your program(s), break it all down in a logical fashion and code from there...

Of course it wouldn't hurt to try some basic 2d stuff first..GL
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 13:21
I'm working on a 3d action adventure game! Its a shooting game too! Oh wait... I don't even have a demo out

How about when I have a demo, I'll give it to yeh, as well as the code for it, and show you how everything works. (but don't steal it! ) But first you gotta learn lots-a commands, and make pretty good text and 2D games, with a good sense of 3D, keyboard input, and variables! (Don't worry, won't take long)

Is it a deal mate? Hey I'm in a good mood, this is a pretty good offer in my sense, hurry and reply before some one else asks

Peace,
I mean... war,
Xeno
Keemo1000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 04:22
I have an idea of an orpg , but as grog said , dreams are only fulfiled with practice .

Anything iz possible with confidence , determination , faith , practice and most of all , patience .

Ill also take heckno's tip and go straight with 3d , ill only be using 2d for textures , and if im going to make shadows for characters , maybe ill just post it here and try to get some help , as for the easiest modelling program , its milkshape 3d , it seems harder than 3ds max , but in the end , its easy . And the result is as good as drinking milkshakes !

http://69.44.157.152/rendered/cooltext7449016.png
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 12:07
keemo, before you get into minor details like shadows get your interface, AI, player movement, etc perfected....

Once you have the core program components at your desired level then tweak the small stuff... Unless you get side tracked by a cool idea like me and shelf the important boring stuff.

As for 3-d modeling programs try as many demo and/or sharewares until you find one that you are comfortable with.. For the price I did find Milkshape to be my preferred tool....
Ad87am
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 22:39
I am soon getting 3D Studio Max 7, I would be pleased to make moddles ect.. for your game. I also have fruity loops so i can make audio for it too

http://www.Bevansfunbox.com
Guilty by right
Years of Service
User Offline
First off I'd like to say thank you all for your posting. Secondly I would like to tell you that I am sorry for my lack of replies for the past week or so, I was in Cali for a week and a half on the job. It was fun, went to Clear Lake and got to party at ?Kanokti?, on the lake and have a good time saw a couple concerts there. Too bad it was sooo hot durring the day though ... Well I'm back now and have some responses for a coupple of you.

Xenocythe hey man that sounds completely awesome of you. That would help me tremendously in getting my game up and off the ground level and into production. Right now I am striving to learn Milkshape 3d and Phtotoshop 7 as well as how to mess around in bryce 5. I have all of these programs to use and it's a fight getting a handle on all of them, but once I do, game makers look out! just jokes. Anywayz, I would truely appreciate your offer on that. How do I stay in contact with you?? WAR IS FAR MORE ENTERTAINING THEN PEACE. WAR IT IS!!!!

Ad87am that sounds great. I would welcome any help I can get from the community at all. I am trying with great diligence to get a hand on coding with DB Pro. It seems easier from what I've heard and my experience's thus far then using most other languages out there (for creating what I want). So how do I get a hold of you?

Heckno I think I will start out with 3d, it seems logical to me at least. I am doing a 3d game and all. And the only 2d I would be doing would be workign with textures and things of that nature. Thanks for the push.

"It will be done..."
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 04:15
Well its rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com , if you ever have any questions or something you can ask me. Oh and, the demo will have to wait a bit... My bro reformatted the comp by accident and I lost everything. But I'm back on track, and I'll try my best. I'm also into modelling now, so it'll be my own models (well some of them...)
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 09:04
Quote: "My bro reformatted the comp by accident "

Woah... how does that happen?
Ad87am
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2005 09:23
ad87am@hotmail.com, i am on MSN messenger most of the time, but i live in the UK so there is a big time difference. You can always send me an e-mail tho!

http://www.Bevansfunbox.com
Guilty by right
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2005 02:47 Edited at: 16th Aug 2005 02:48
Xenocythe, man that really sucks that your bro accidently reformatted your computer. I'm with Grog on this one, how did he accidently reformate your HD?

well if you can or still could. Could you help me out with a fully explained 3d demo like you were talking about being a 3d action adventure game? I could learn mountains from that. It would be a big boost to my project and no, I wouldn't steal your game at all. Theives are the worst in my opinion, thieves and liars! Wouldn't consider it.

thanx

"It will be done..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:32:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:32:21