Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / dbp help total noob

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i got dbp ages ago with the beginner's guide to darkbasic book but got fed up trying could someone plz tell me how they got started with the program if u got the book also could u maybe tell me how u learned from it what u learned that is needed to make a simple 2d game.
I just want to know to load sprites and the control and when u jump on the bad guy u win (like sonic)
thank you
gpex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 13:39 Edited at: 20th Jul 2005 13:40
No matter how much we all want to learn the key features of making a nice 2d game(sprite commands,input commands...etc) when we first start, you have to take it one small step at a time. If you start learning the more complicated commands first, you will find yourself going back and having to lookup other commands to get it to work. Just go through the book page by page. Dont do the examples in the book though, Use the commands in your own examples. You'll probably learn more this way and it will stick with you so that you wont keep having to go back to the book to find what you need. Thats what i did, and even though i'm not the best programmer right now, it's easier for me to proggres now that i have the basic commands learned and basically memorized.

I would say one of the top reasons of new programmers giving up programming is that they're so anxious to get into the graphics and gameplay side of things that they hit a certain point and get frustrated then probably quit. So for your sake, i would take it slow and literally read the beginners guide to db. You'll be glad you did later. The book is a great tool as long as you use it for learning, not just reference. I hope this helped.

-gpex-

CodingCom Test Site...check it out!!!
http://www.codingcom.150m.com
warship45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2005 16:27
i used the book i found that it is a bit hard going when it starts off talking about strings and stuff but just hang in there and it does get more fun, also you should type out all of the examplys they give into dbp and mess around with them i always found hands on was best for me.

want to join a good dark basic forum then go to

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/index.php?mforum=teamdarkstep
metal slug
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks gpex and warship45 i will do just that.

What do you mean gpex by "Dont do the examples in the book though, Use the commands in your own examples" do you mean try different codes and get something to work myself by looking at the helpfiles or something like that.
thanks.
metal slug
Years of Service
User Offline
just a few more questions
1. what do u mean by Dont do the examples in the book though, Use the commands in your own examples.

2. i don't want to make 3d just 2d could someone plz tell me from the book what i need to learn to make a 2d game like dragonballz but with sonic characters instead.
cause then if i know what to learn so i can make a timetable of what to learn each day.

3.nothing just to say thanks for any help i receive
metal slug
Years of Service
User Offline
anyone going to help me i don't want to give up on darkbasic pro
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 13:56
I can't help you with the book (I don't have it) but I can suggest a few things.

Don't give up on Darkbasic Pro. Code for exactly what you want is not going to fall into your lap. You need to just sit down with Darkbasic Pro and start experimenting with code. Go to the message base called "2D All The Way" and look at the messages that deal with sprites... just about every message has some code to play with. Play with enough code and you'll start writing your own from scratch.

A timetable will only make you mad if you don't live up to the table... just take you time and learn code at your own pace. I know you'll eventually program the game you want... it only takes time.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 19:24
The codebase is also your friend. It's full of small snippets, designed to do just one or two things. Just remember it isn't moderated, so you are looking at many different styles of programming. But at the very least, you will see how particular commands are being implemented.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_list

Good Luck!

BatVink
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 22:11
On the other hand, you could try something a little more simple using BYOND, a free 2D gaming engine. It's cram packed with loads of commands and features like map editors and icon editors.

Just check out www.byond.com.

The only problem is it doesn't create .exe's, instead it makes .dmi's, so only people with BYOND installed can play your games. On the good side however, you can make fast online games within seconds.

Anyhoo, just a suggestion, it's what I started out with.

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 05:11
I do just what batvink suggested and that is to examine other peoples code for learning how to accomplish what I want to do...

I won't lie to you I am not a software engineer by any stretch of the word, just some simpleton who is looking to bring some of my own ideas to life via DBP...

Right now I have two dpb windows open: (1) for my primary program and the other for code snippets that I can copy, paste and execute to learn what and how they do it....When I get stuck I find an example or something close and mimic & tweak through trial and error to get my end result...

Don't give up, just be resourceful
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 05:47
Quote: "Don't give up, just be resourceful "

Nice strap line!

Heckno has good advice. There's literally magabytes of useful info on this site. The best resource is now hidden, unless you know where to look. TGC should publish the link somewhere prominent. It's the 2004 competition, with 95% of the entries having the source code included in the download. You can even see which games got a good review:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=2004compo_entries

So if you see a menu system you like, or a good intro, hiscore table or whatever, you can see exactly how it was coded.

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2005 23:19
Heck,

Half the time It's Bat's codes I got running in the second compiler..

Thanks Bat you have already saved me hours of hair pulling and at my age theres not much left before i go Bruce Willis...
metal slug
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks i think i can make a game but when i look at how others code. i did what they had done but when i try to load something like a song it does not work load music C:\Documents and Settings\kieran\Desktop\Drowning Pool,1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:22:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:22:05