Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Red Tide: uber pwnage [cinco de maya compo, demo]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 10:46 Edited at: 30th Jul 2005 23:51

_-_ R E D T I D E: _-_
uber pwnage!
beta #2 /

Files:
http://hawkeye.dbspot.com/downloads/redtide_beta1.rar (deleted)
http://hawkeye.dbspot.com/downloads/redtide_beta2.zip

Please note that the in the code box is the stuff I wrote for beta #1.

So. Beta #2. What's new? Dynamic sombero colors, xp counter, new reloading sounds, slight fix in the music, and other general kick-arse qualities.

CONTROLS:
Much the same as the last demo...
WASD - run/strafe
LMB - teh bang bangs
RMB - once again, completely useless
[ TAB - switch camera angles ]
Q - change weapons. There's still only the shotty + smg
R - reload
X - toggle laser sight

Again, be sure to turn the volume up, that shotty sound shifts the dirt on the ceiling on my speaker set

Aplogies to all ye weapon scipt modders, it's been replaced out with a boring hard coded system. However, I shall be sure to toss in a Jackhammer (automatic shotgun ) at some period or another.

CINCO IT UP!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Man these screenshots are amazing!*sarcasm*

Seriously I'm not downloading until I see some screens.

My Blog Is Seriously Disturbing. Come and Be Disturbed!
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 11:01 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 11:11
seriously... why not... screen shots are a waste of bandwith

Here's 1

Blasting, Shooting, and Maiming. Aspects of Modern Gamming.
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 11:20 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 11:22
here's another

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 11:29 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 11:29
and another

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 12:25 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 12:28
Ah I like that UT2003 texture.

Levels look nice btw. Floor texture abit weird...

downloading...oh and just so you know, my on-board soundcard got fried so unfortunatly I can't comment on the music. Sorry.

Need a team? No noob bullshit, visit http://www.teamrequest.com
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 12:47 Edited at: 26th Jul 2005 00:08
EDIT
POST EDITED UPON REQUEST FOR THE BENEFIT OF HWAKEYE'S SENSITIVE AND UNCOOL MOTHER. I APOLIGIZE. ALL LESS THEN APPROPRIATE WORDS HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH CAT

Well what can I say.

This game kicked [cat]. The stacked boxes part was just crazy as I wen't crashing into them while mowing down 10 cones. I don't really like how the camera is stuck though. I think it should move slightly to the direction your aiming for. I see good potential for this game, the [cat] art just needs to be replaced. Believe it or not, I wanted to create the exact same kind of shooter, and might still do if I happen to suddently become skilled in coding.

And another thing, what is the [cat] point of the machine gun if it has the same firing range as the shotgun??? Machine guns fire much further then 4 feet...and it needs an aiming curser as well. And really, get rid of the GTA style bullets, and replace with flying bullets. Would look much cooler.

This game is like Diablo II given a gun and sent into the sci-fi future.

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 13:18 Edited at: 25th Jul 2005 13:42
Add to that my improved shotgun code...

The game is pointless. But irrisitibly fun... however you don't clear the bullet holes... This is bad... I got like 11,000 polys going because of my new shotgun. (Which also slows the frame rate... boo). I also noticed the fact that the cones can FLY... curse the physics.

[edit] wrong code... that one has the shot gun overpowered... 000100019000501010101011 with the shot gun number.

what made you choose red sumbraroed mexicans?

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 23:09
Lots of good points here... lots of good answers...

Quote: " Ah I like that UT2003 texture"

That's a texture that came packed with DeleD, under "HighTechFloors"

Quote: "And another thing, what is the god damn point of the machine gun if it has the same firing range as the shotgun??? Machine guns fire much further then 4 feet...and it needs an aiming curser as well. And really, get rid of the GTA style bullets, and replace with flying bullets. Would look much cooler."

That's the muzzle flare, not the bullets. All the guns have unlimited range (well as unlimited as it gets, range=500 units and the level is about 120 units wide) Aiming cursor, agreed, I had a laser sight programmed in but I got rid of it for some reason... Hmm, that or a targeting cursor? Like a sprite positioned on the screen over whatever you're aiming at.

Quote: "what made you choose red sumbraroed mexicans?"

Because that's what the fashion designer was wearing that day The colors will eventually change depending on the kick-butt-ness quality of the monsters. Like in Halo (orange/blue/purple/silver/gold, or whatever it was)

Quote: "however you don't clear the bullet holes"

Ack I was hoping nobody would notice that

Quote: "I don't really like how the camera is stuck though. I think it should move slightly to the direction your aiming for"

Agreed. I'll put in a curvevalue on the rotation strightaway I'm also thinking about adding camera paths to follow on triggered events: so for example, when you grab a pickup (not that I have any ) it zooms in to give you a quick closeup or something. Would add a little more freedom to the camera, but it might get annoying after a while... hmm

Quote: "This game is like Diablo II given a gun and sent into the sci-fi future. "

w00t, exactly what I was aiming for

For some strange reason, making this thread has taken my entuhasism for this project and

TRIPLED IT. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to dbpro... Thanks again for all the great replies

-hawkeye
p.s. megaton, my mom gave me a 7 minute lecture because of a certain selection of words in your post. Something about choosing your friends wisely and other farreaching lofty goals of life, but could you kindly edit that out? My ears are aching a little over here... thank you...

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 00:04
Quote: "
p.s. megaton, my mom gave me a 7 minute lecture because of a certain selection of words in your post. Something about choosing your friends wisely and other farreaching lofty goals of life, but could you kindly edit that out?"

See this is why you aren't supposed to browse the forums with your Mother. Tell hre if she met me in real life, I am extremly polite.

lol But really, what did I say? I can't see any cursing in there, or insults. (Unless I got so used to handing them out, my subconscious just puts them in automaticlly)

Keep progress coming, this project looks like it might actually be a good DBP game.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 00:28
And just out of curiosity hawkeye, do you happen to be a fan/player of Diablo 2?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 03:12
wow, your mum must be sensitive, mine lets me swear, swears herself, doesn't mind my loud heavy music on, cos she puts on hers, either to annoy the neightbours or cos she wants to, they say machine head is the best thing for annyoing neightbours, Pavaroti works just fine here don't worry we're not [cat]holes our neightbours started it.

R2D2s Jilted Lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 11:28 Edited at: 26th Jul 2005 11:44
Im downloading it now.
how do you pronounce pwned (owned) or whatever it is?

EDIT: wow im quite impressed with the smoothness and solidness of the engine but what will be the objectives in the final version? #And please dont say kill everything and find the exit!

Hey you'd make a great addition to my team. Your quite tallented with the old code.

im just a simple peasant...
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 16:37 Edited at: 26th Jul 2005 16:38
Hey... don't trust me with open code, I find it fun as [cat] with that shotgun's physics rigged up [cat], and RPS rigged up even more. I was blasting at those Mexicans and they are like falling though the walls... kinda over done if you have the dammage up high though... [with the modded shot gun]

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 00:03
Quote: "how do you pronounce pwned (owned) or whatever it is?"

Ehhh you can probally find a pronouncation on urbandictionary, but I just say own. If you've just come off a 4-hour stint of online gaming, you'd better say pwned tho (that's PWaOWNED, light on the pwa)

Quote: "EDIT: wow im quite impressed with the smoothness and solidness of the engine but what will be the objectives in the final version? #And please dont say kill everything and find the exit!

Hey you'd make a great addition to my team. Your quite tallented with the old code. "

No, it's not kill everything and find the exit I'm planning on having sort of "clusters" for the levels, where each cluster has five levels all set on one map and each level has a different objective, but the cluster as a whole contains the same there *inhales* But for the most part, everything will be surviving, killing, and getting better weapons. Not necessiary in that order. If you've ever played Crimsonland, you'll have an idea about what I'm after

You're the Final/Last Stand guy, aren't you? If you need help with coding or whatever, feel free to email me... although I'll always have my own projects, I'll be happy to join in

Quote: "I find it fun as [cat] with that shotgun's physics rigged up [cat], [...] I was blasting at those Mexicans and they are like falling though the walls.."

hehe, that's the very reason I toned down the power, on one of my old test you could actually manage to blast yourself through a wall via crash-landing and a bunch of rebounding boxes

Anyhow, I got Reason3.0 + midi controller in the mail yesterday, so it was kinda hard to tear myself away from that to code any Next goal is to get multiple level/goal setups in there, hopefuly it won't be too much trouble. After that is blood fx, complete with a hotkey to instantly turn off/vanish all blood and dynamicly change the game title to "happyvile"

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 05:07
Happyville, where the citizens aren't too happy about you blowing up the place...

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 15:00
Muhahahhaa, I just got a totally sick idea... but I guess that'll have to wait for my next project I've got a new demo waiting to be packed up and uploaded, but I think I need to add a couple more levels first.

Updates:
Level has some refining touches
Bad guys are now dynamicly assigned speed+health and a sombero color to go with it: red for normal, blue for speedaholic, yellow=health maniacs, black = uber-kick-butt-neo-esque 1800hp + 28spd
Laser sight!
Spawn sounds implimented (see below)

About-to-be-updates:
New level is in the works
Tracers are about to dynamicly change according to how far the bullet went
Bulletholes shall soon disappear every 10 seconds or so
Menu is about to get overhalled... ehhh this one I'm not looking foreward to
Guns are about to become hardcoded (sorry Merranvo! I'll be certain to stick a Jackhammer in there somewhere in memory of you tho' )

Maybe if I'm feeling charitable, I'll upload the new demo today

Oh yeah, and if anyone has access to a decent microphone and is willing to spend a few minutes reccording monster growls 'n stuff, that'd be much appreciated

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 18:39
omgz0rz, new demo! http://hawkeye.dbspot.com/downloads/redtide_beta2.zip See first post for details

Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 23:23
Nice... but you forgot to list the camera angle command... TAB... now I can blast those freaks up close and personal.

Also Nice that you fixed that sound loop issue, now if you choose to exit, you don't have 2 theme songs running at the same time!

At what experiance do I become a lvl 20 asskicking sumbero dude?

Are they... firing weapons? I hear sounds that seem to sound like some sort of weapon.

You really need to do something about enemy grouping... they end up in these big groups that slow them all down.

Quote: "Guns are about to become hardcoded"

NOOO my work, my life long acheivement. NOOOO!!!

P.S. where is the LGUN?

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 23:51
Quote: " Nice... but you forgot to list the camera angle command."

Ahhh dang I did forget that

Quote: "Are they... firing weapons? I hear sounds that seem to sound like some sort of weapon."

That's the respawn sound

Quote: "You really need to do something about enemy grouping.."

Eventually, if they're outside a certain distance, they'll head for a random place around you. Only what, 15 days left to get that little gem in

Quote: "P.S. where is the LGUN?"

hmmrmph, so I did forget to delete something... It used to be a lightning crossbow that was powerful enough to send baddys through the wall

Cheers peeps, only fifteen days to go! CINCO IT UP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:32:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:32:42