Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / music player

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 13:53 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 07:27
Written in Java, but hoping I could still post about it.

I posted about this project a long time ago and again started working on it. It finally made it to the point where it could play mp3s and SHOUTcast streams. Last week I decided to start from scratch and write it on my new powerbook. Now that it was nearly completed, I had a better idea of how to structure it internally. (i was making it up as I went along) Been working on it for about a week now, and the screenshot shows its current progress as of tonight. After I finish writing the various sorting routines for the displayed data, I'll probably work on implementing the existing sound engine. I also replaced the current ID3Tag parser. Mine was missing some various minor versions support, so I switched to the MP3 SPI written by javazoom.

[July 29, 2005]
-Threw away sound engine, using a more stable one now. Before, you had to manually select a mixer, and that was causing a lot of headaches on the Mac.
-SHOUTcast stream support added

[Current Features]
-MP3 file support & ID3 Tag parsing
-file browsing by genre, artist, or album
-SHOUTcast stream support

[Planned Features]
-Playlists
-run your own SHOUTcast server
-OGG Vorbis support
-Visuals to sync with music
-Audio EQ
-dynamic searching
-XML parser to load existing iTunes libraries
-CD ripping (this will be determined on the development of an existing library that so far only works on some platforms)
-CDDA support (maybe, I need to research more)
-File sharing (play content from other users' libraries on your network)

A completely working and playable demo can be ready as soon as a few days. This depends on how much time I have free from school. It won't take long because I've already written the basic sound library that'll be used to play music, and its been tested in Windows of the old version of the program already.
The iTunes music store will not be supported.
DRM will not be supported.

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 15:29
Hmm... reminds me of iTunes, lol... either way looks sweet and very pro!

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 23:32
That is one kick-ass GUI!

It does look nice, I prefer that style to the fumbling mess that is Media Player, I never got on with that program.

I hope to see visualisations though, that must be the biggest problem for DBPro music software; the lack of feedback info. Not sure if you are part of the visualisation discussion over at LLRGT, someone is working on a .dll to support it - fingers crossed!.

Van-B

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 03:37
I haven't had great luck in finding resources about making visualizations. Like different algorithms for the designs and stuff.

AluminumPork, my earlier Windows version looked exactly like iTunes.

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 17:22 Edited at: 31st Aug 2005 17:23
[edit: 8-31-05]
1) status of what song is playing is now shown and text fades between stats
2) Menu bar now takes on a more natural Mac feel by implementing the menus into the screen menu (at the top of the OS, not application)
3) PLS playlist format supported for keeping track of your favorite internet radio stations
4) Grrr, a SHOUTcast server turned my classic rock station into Gospel
5) Some UI tweaking
6) Ran into a problem that I may not have control over. Sound errors on the playing thread in Mac OS X, but not Windows.
I gotta leave this up to the guy at Javazoom.com and see what he says.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 08:26:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 08:26:44