Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Advice for all newcomers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I notice loads of newcomers who ask about making their own 3d objects and what the functionality of certain products are. I have some advice for all of you:

1. If you are new to programming and to DB you aren't going to be making models. You need to focus on learning to program. There are plenty, and I stress PLENTY, of free models to be found on the internet along with people on these forums who will model objects for you on request. Learning to program takes enough time and effort in itself, learning to model well takes just as much time and effort. You do not have the time and effort to put into both of them at the same time.

2. If you are truly interested in modelling and you already know how to program then continue reading. If you don't know how to program, and programming is where your interest lies forget about modelling. For the beginning modeller/texturer/animator the program I would most highly recommend for ease of use and all of the features of the high level programs is Animation Master. It is $300 and has all the features...particles, texturing, shaders, lip syncing, an easy to use modelling and animating system. It is excellent beyond all respects. That is the program I would recommend to buy for a beginner. Also you have to realize what you are getting yourself into when you want to model and animate. It takes the average animator four years to get to the point where their animation looks really good. It can take a person up to a year to get to the point where they actually start animating (instead of sitting at the computer staring blankly at the screen and then thinking screw it and going off and doing something else). This means that you have to seriously want to model and animate to really be able to start and become good.

3. For those of you who have read all of this and still want to animate this is where you should start. Again I recommend Animation Master as a starting program. Also I would recommend purchasing David Roger's book Animation Master 2002: A Complete Guide with it. Other books are Mastering 3d Modelling and Animation and The Animator's Survival Kit. Do as many tutorials as you can, model random objects, and learn to draw (it really does help). Good websites to visit are the Animation Master forums at www.hash.com and cgchannel.com (one of the top industry websites). Also the video tutorials made by Anzovin Studios are excellent (google for anzovin studios I cant remember the website). Other than that the only thing I can really say to an aspiring modeller/animator is good luck!

Hope this helps everyone.

-Avi

-Apophis
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 00:01
i think you're right.. this is just what begginers need, i.e. my brother, he spends all his time wanting to make a game, makes about 20 models, and doesnt even know how to move them...

i think this post should become a sticky.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2005 23:06
I am a more of a modeler than a programmer and I can say that with my current project I have dedicated about 95% of my time to the game engine and have been using only simple objects like boxes and spheres to work things out....

IMHO, build the bulk of the game first with simple objects or just a few models, once your happy with how your game plays move on to replacing the simple objects....

Remember this - your game engine is your meat and potatoes and your models are nothing more than fluff....Doesn't matter how pretty your models or world is if the game play sucks....

my 2 cents.....
apophis
Years of Service
User Offline
Heckno,

I agree with what you're saying but it applies to someone who has some base experience in modelling and can already program. Half the people on here have yet to make pong and are asking how to texture a guy to look like half life 2. What many do not realize is the professionals who make the models and effects in Half Life 2 are dedicated to doing just that. The majority of programmers never obtain the modelling or conceptual ability of the animators and vice versa. Yet many newcomers think that at some point they will be able to do everything. Personally I got into the idea of game programming. I did it for about a year until I got to the point where I had a basic 3D game engine coded in DBP. At that point I realized programming is not really what I wanted to be doing. I wanted to make the graphics that make people say damn that's cool. Now I have entirely dedicated myself to animation, and I am going to get a bachelors in 3d animation and hopefully get a job at ILM. I think it is more important before you run in wanting to make the next great game to consider what you really want to be doing. Do you want to be able to program a completely insane game engine with all kinds of things game developers have never even thought of, and if you do then go for it and start at the bottom. Make a pong game, a text based rpg, mario, a basic 3d game, and work your way up to where you can make the game engine of your dreams. However if you aren't so much interested in programming a the game engine, and you more just have a good idea for a game that you want to bring to life then you should be using something like FPS Creator and not even think about programming or animating. If you are like me and want to make the most incredible graphics anyone has ever seen than go for it, and follow the instructions for a wannabe animator in my above post. Also consider whether you want to animate for games or movies. If you want to animate for games you should get a background in game programming and some level design too while focusing on animation. If you want to animate for movies then center yourself entirely on animation, and learn everything you can about it. Another primary thing to consider is are you doing this for a career or a hobby. If it is a hobby then slow down, relax, and just worry about what you want to do. If you are looking for a career keep in mind that any branch of game development and animation for the movie industry are incredibly hard fields to break into. You need to consider what the industry is looking for, what you can do to appeal to them, and the best plan for you to get a job doing whatever it is that you want to. You also need to devote a lot more time to your focus than the average hobbyist. All of this is my opinion, but it is an opinion I have gained from experience.

-Avi

Subnotes:

1. Heckno I am in no way trying to veto what you said as I think it is entirely correct I am merely adding some of my own opinion on to it.

2. A couple of corrections to my first post. The book Mastering 3d Modelling and Animation is actually called Mastering 3D Animation and is by Peter Ratner. The book The Animator's Survival Kit is by Richard Williams. I would also recommend The Art of 3d Computer Animation and Effects by Isaac Kerlow. You can purchase Animation Master at www.hash.com. Also a good introductory book to the basic modelling tools is 3D Graphics and Animation by Mark Giambruno.

3. Remember, don't focus on the dream; focus on how to make it come true.

-Apophis
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2005 01:00
My advice for newcomers is simple:

Read the sticky labelled 'Tutorials, Guides & Advice for Newcomers'

apophis
Years of Service
User Offline
Scraggle,

I'm not sure whether you were trying to be funny or were serious. Either way while that sticky is an excellent guide; I am covering a different topic. That post is covering the best way to get a basic start in game development. I am covering the distinguishments between the fields, and figuring out what you are really interested in.

-Apophis

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:25:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:25:56