Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How Do Make a 3rd person game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2005 02:40
I am making a game where you fly a space ship. How can I create a 3rd person game?

Nick Tsianos
Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2005 04:59
wow that's an open ended question... sounds like you may want to start with some of the tutorials on this website before going any further... OR

The link below is to my rpg snippet which has the basic commands for stuff such as moving, camera position, etc... I put it up so beginners like myself can dissect the code to understand the basics..

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58189&b=7
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2005 05:57
I think you mean the camera, in which case you can use some kind of code like this, until you give some more detailed questions:

You can get more advanced later on with that command sequence, however, with you minimal question you asked, this is as good as I can give you.

The code is assuming the player (ship or what not) is object 1 The camera then is position 50 pixels above the object and aimed down at the ship. This can be adjusted, but with the 30 seconds worth of time I put into that code, it just might help.

Make sure to reply back to this, but make it more detailed.

Thanks,
-----------------------
Vote for Excelsis on the Puzzle Game Compo

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2005 19:11
happend to have this stored away:

I discriminate against discriminating people....
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2005 06:39
I think the example that is entitled "Swarm" that came with the DB language would be of much help on this.

--------------------------------------
Vote for Excelsis on the Puzzle Game Compo

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2005 15:27
nah dude, thats not exactly third person, you need to have the cmera curve around the player.. here i did a little code for you.

just move around, the camera will curve round the player, and i also chucked in some health, and landscape tilting just for fun

enjoy

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 00:46
Good point. The only use of Swarm is to get the idea of shooting, yet, that doesn't quite help you because it needs to be 3D. I can't think of any tutorials, because the only ones I did were Swarm, Iced, and Room.

I just kind of experimented with 3D for a while, then made some move camera commands, some move object, and before you know it I had a game.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 17:16
Here's a good tutarial (where you make a 3rd person capture the flag game) http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t02/bm_tutorial_index

Btw, master programmer, these things you did weren't tutorials they were just examples

master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 00:57
Good point. I just used them as "tutorials" because that's all I had when I didn't have internet.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 01:32
hmmm, there was the monster hunt tutorial, you could just go to open>help>tutorials>source>tut number, or something

master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 11:56
Huh. The only "Tutorials" I had was Iced, Swarm, Jetski, Room, and some others, but I guess they are just "Examples"

I'll try that out.

I've figured it out. When I want a 3D game, I just bang my head on my keyboard as hard as I can, then, I lift my head and my game should be fully programmed on screen. *The Best advice I can give*

Oh! And try to encorporate a into 3D games. I try with my games, but, unless you can fit it in, it makes the game complicated, especially to the "casual gamer" crowd. Which was how arcades faded when 3D games came about.....they got too complicated!

Hippie Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 22:14
Thanks guys! now I just need to figure out a way to shoot. I've tried lots of things for my 3-d world but nothing works. Plese help.

Nick Tsianos
Hippie Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 22:06
My game needs your help!

Nick Tsianos

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:34:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:34:13