Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Goddamn forums...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 20:24
Why do they keep changin the forum around? I had just got used to the last one. Please, for my own sanity, stop changing it aroun!
Marc Fleury
Years of Service
User Offline
If you're linking to the forums from darkbasic.com, it's simply that the link points to a different place. The other forums still exist.

DB Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 22:21
OK then - next question. Why do they change the forums around and what was the address of the old one?

Crossleo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2002 00:55
the old one is at www.realgametools.com

what i don't like about this forums is that they don't tell me when i got a reply to my e-mail
but anyway this forums do not run as slow as the realgametools forums did on my pc.

Crossleo
-------------------------------------
Admin of the Cross entertainment team
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2002 23:21
"OK then - next question. Why do they change the forums around and what was the address of the old one?"

We haven't changed the forums. All we did was link to a forum hosted on another web site that wasn't under our control. Now it links back to our own forum again - should be quite obvious to spot the difference, seeing as that site had a different URL and was called the "Real Game Tools Forum" !

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2002 02:56
Well forum change is good... especially as each of them has really coincided with a DB major update.
I mean if you notice, but we went from the first forum to a graphical update when 1.08 was released - then again when darkmatter was, which personally i loved the look of that forum - but it was up for all of 24hours - hehee
We've since gone throught 2 temporary RGT forums, and now the current RGT forum is for the US customers of DBpro (or atleast thats the official take on it) but really become the temporary (perminant) residence of most of the db users for the past 6-7months

This new one is nice, still quite basic in comparison - but as its of Rich's own creation not a template, this is quite amazing. Lets just hope we don't run into the same speed bug a few month down the line when this becomes as popular as RGT

Do have a suggestion thou, perhaps it'll be considered - but old forum posts become quite useless after a while and clutter up the space (so do attachments which have probably not been added due to this fact) ... so perhaps a 3month clean out is in order. Save all of the posts to an archive forum that will have so little users that it won't matter about the bandwidth - and then basically every 3month clear the forum of all post, except the "stickies" for competitions or announcements and such

Also keeps the forums cleaner, and weeds out the useless posts made every 20seconds because no one reads the backlogs.

Which brings up another idea, FAQ section for post that tackle the major issues in a few posts - updated and postable only by the mods
Would keep them small and answering the questions asked, with a simple search engine would be invaluable to newbies (and us oldies who are loosing thier memory )

Can't wait to see what db-mail is like

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
pharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
i want to know what happened to the old grey forums, at first they were like under maintence or somthing now the have just dissapeared
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 15:25
-We've since gone throught 2 temporary RGT forums

Unfortunately that was 4x...

1:nmisoftware.com/dbforums

2:madmerlins.com/dbforums

3:realgametools.com/yabbse

4:Realgametools.net/forums...for now.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 02:05
RGT forums are nothing to do with me. The official DB forums have gone as follows:

1) Perl based UBB forum, got popular and started loosing whole threads thanks to UBB's inability to cope with the demand.
2) Moved to Phorum (the "grey" ones) which coped wonderfully with a truckload of posts and hits (thousands and thousands per hour) but Phorum itself lacked behind in some respects - you couldn't set your own timezone, there was no edit post feature, etc.
3) When the new DB.com site opened we used YaBBSE for a (very) short period of time. About 3 days I think! It was truly terrible, so much so I don't consider it a proper forum even.
4) Apollo - this is where we stand today. It was beta'd on the DB site for a few months but only really came to life here and this is where it'll grow and live. It's 100% hand-crafted PHP and MySQL designed with one goal in mind - speed.

That's all there has ever been - anything else isn't an official DB forum. Not so bad for 4 years really

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 02:52
This forum is very spedy Rich! Its like *click* bang *click* bang hahah

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

http://www.rpgcyco.com - My Website & Forums
Specs: PIII - 866MHz, 128MB SDRAM, 8MB SiS 630, 17inch monitor, 18.6GB HDD 5400rpm, Win ME, DX8.1b, 56k Modem

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:28:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:28:11