Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2005 23:18 Edited at: 4th Aug 2005 23:26
HI
I just started an rpg and i need help to continue I have tried but failed. If any of you had some free time that would be great! Here is the code and yes i have imported media.

And im not sure but should i mport my own media cause i dont want you guys to think of me as a lazy game maker.

New episodes of family guy sunday!
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Plz can someone help

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 03:18 Edited at: 4th Aug 2005 03:19

Did you check these boards for examples....?

I just posted a small rpg snippet a few days ago to help people like us... Copy it, run it, then try to figure out how things were done and why....Tinker with it

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58189&b=7
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx but i use dbc

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 03:56
crap, sorry
NanoBrain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 07:39
FXGAMER,

Your post is extremely general. Exactly what do you need help with? I will gladly help you if you answer this question.

+NanoBrain+
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Well first off what do i code next?
And second I need a little help with the menu.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry
cough'BUMP'cough

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 23:09
FXGAMER,

Firstly you need to plan you game thoroughly (Spelling???). You need to plan a storyline, have character plans and designs and you may need some for weapons items and scenery.

You should then probably then start your game.

But, to improvewhat you have done, I think you need to add movement to your RPG. 'If upkey()=1 then....etc' I would also sort out the camera system, If you are using Third person camera have a look at the Binary Moon tutorial because the tutorial explains it quite well . Then work out the statistics followed by the Loading and saving your progress. Finally i would work on a Battle system and the A.I.

This is how would personally do it. other people probably have different methods and i have also missed out several things which you will need to do. This is just a rough guide.

Good Luck if you need any help please ask
Jozers
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i do have a story line and i have pretty much got the character plans done.
One proplem is I lack in modelling skill.

P.S. This is my first project

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 23:53 Edited at: 4th Aug 2005 23:54
Quite a few programs can't model if not most of them this is not really a problem. If you can program the basic game and use primatives as place holders you can then look for a modeller to do the models and/or some one else to do the texturing. Most Modellers will not model for a game which is nowhere near completion(as they feel their work may go to waste). Modellers will only model for a game which isn't nearly finished if they know the person making the game, if they are being payed money or the person making the game has a good reputation for finishing what they start.

I think by making an RPG your first project you are biting off more than you can chew. I'm not saying you are bad at programing, it's just from looking at the progress you have made from your code snippet suggests you are relatively new to programing.

I'm not saying you shouldn't make a RPG it's just they are probably one of the hardest games to make and by not finishing your first project may put you off DarkBasic and programming altogether.

If you still wish to make a RPG good luck if you have any questions please ask
Jozers
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i guess I agree with ya jozer cept i will continue this and see what can be done.
All in all thanks for the support!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 01:53
i think you shouldn't start with an rpg, rpg's are hard and long, and have lots of levels, and battles, and things you collect etc..

pong only needs one level, one battle, and its simple, and you can do things like movement, physics, simple AI etc.. I'd suggest starting with a pong game

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
master programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 11:48 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 11:50
Or you could start with the game Gnop by the people who brought you Halo, Bungie

Just joking, Gnop is Bungie's form of Pong.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm i know but to me i feel like if i were to start with somthing hard it would teach me more.

Jozers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 20:02
Yes but if it is too hard you won't learn anything at at you will just be copying and pasting other people's work.

I would go through the pong tutorial which is stickied at the top of the newcomer's corner forum and then do the binary moon tutorial as that will teach you alot.

I would then start thinking about making a basic arcade/puzzle game and then work towards a First Person shoot.

If you manage that then you should almost have enough experience to start considering or planning a RPG.

Remember 'learn to walk before you run'
Thanks
Jozers
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok you broke me through ill do pong the binary then coninue this k?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 01:30:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 01:30:24